Home Metal Detecting
Options

Recent Finds.. A few firsts!

I hit the camp that I found the Eagle R in again. This time I worked an iron pocket with my 4"x6" coil. I was able to pull out a few more good finds.

The first is the 1865 IHC in nice condition. It's alot better than the pic!

Next was an Eagle A button! The A stands for Artillery. Cool! A first for me. These are a tough find too!

Here is the group shot of my finds from the hunt. This is about 4 hours worth of good targets. The buckle looking thing is called a kepi buckle. It was used on soldiers hats. Another neat find.

On another day I met up with a buddy of mine to hunt a camp near old Fort Leavenworth, KS. This place has had a millitary fort nearby since the 1830's and is also near the Federal Penn.

Anyway I had a great day I saw my diggin partner get an 1842 dime and I dug this Eagle D. Another first for me!! these are a tough find. This is a cuff size button. The D stands for Dragoon. Dragoon was the name of the mounted soldier groups before they were called cavalry at the start of the Civil War. This button dates to the 1840's maybe 1830's.
Another view

Here are some of my finds from my old stand by cavalry camp back home. Found these in about 2 hours of hunting.

Thanks for looking!

Comments

• Options
    phutphut Posts: 1,087
    Wow!!
    You suck!!
    Bite me!!
    imageimage
    and a whole lot of others that I can't think of right now.
  • Options
  • Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

Excellent stuff!
    How many different letters do these buttons come with?
    Any particular letters that are even rarer than others ("key dates" image )?
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Options
    sweet . congrats on the finds.
    HH vincent
  • Options
    WTG IHM!

I got out today and pulled a couple sweet looking gilt buttons and was thinking about you... I was thinking, let's see if IHM can beat these this month image ... and, of course you blew me away! Sweet buttons! Those are my second favorite thing to find next to old coins. image

Do you know if the "D" is more rare than the "A"? I've only pulled an "I," but today I pulled one that didn't have a letter within the shield... I'll need to see if anyone on the board can help ID it. (probably not as old as yours)

By the way, hope you're house is gradually getting more sleep image
  • Options
    It think the D is more rare than the A.. but I will have to do some research. Keep pullin those buttons, you will get me soon. This is the best run of nice buttons I've had since starting detecting.
  • Options
    Excellent work IHM!!!!!

Congrats on all your first's!!
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dragoon stuff, generally speaking, is a lot scarcer than Artillery. Nice goin'! I have an Eagle "A" but no "D".

I see you got an "R", too... those Rifle buttons are tough!

Way to go! You've done some masterful relic hunting!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.