Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Part of the Numismatic Landscape - Proof Platinum Reverses

The Platinum American Eagle Proof Coins are known as the "Vistas of Liberty" series. Each year a new design that features a totally new reverse that portrays a bald eagle and regional landscapes is designed to honor different regions of the United States or a United States themed design. All denominations of the proof American Platinum Eagles carry the yearly design. These coins are the only U.S. bullion coins that change reverse designs every year.
Also, the Platinum Eagles are the first U.S. coins to ever be struck by the U.S. Mint physically bearing the dollar symbol ($) on the coins themselves, denoting their legal tender value in U.S. Dollars. At $100 in legal tender face value, the one ounce Platinum American Eagle is highest face value denomination ever to appear on a United States coin.
Platinum, which was only discovered in the 16th century, is the world's newest and rarest precious metal. Platinum is fifteen times more rare than gold, and 150 times more rare than silver. Likewise, the United States Mint is minting fewer Platinum Eagles than any other modern day regular issue.
From a collector point of view, the Platinum Proofs offer the lowest mintages of all proof issues because they are minted for only one year with the distinct and unique reverse designs.

Proof reverse designs:

1997 - Bald Eagle flying with sun in background.
(This year platinum proof coins had the same reverse design as regular strikes.
Since then, regular strikes have continued with the '97 reverse design)
1998 - Bald Eagle flying over New England and rocky beach town with light house; full moon in sky.
1999 - Bald Eagle flying above Southeastern Wetlands and alligator crawling in a primordial swamp.
2000 - Bald Eagle flying above Midwestern field, barn and house.
2001 - Bald Eagle flying above giant Saguaro cacti of the Southwest (specifically Arizona).
2002 - Swooping Bald Eagle and a lake bordered by snowcapped mountains and trees.
2003 - Bald Eagle perched on a Rocky Mountain pine branch against a backdrop of the United States Flag.
2004 - Engraving inspired by the Daniel Chester French sculpture titled "America" outside the U.S. Customs House in New York City.
2005 - American Bald Eagle perched on a heraldic shield with symbols representing America’s strength and beauty.
The planned designs for the subsequent year(s), as I understand, are to represent the three branches of the U.S government.

ps. my first attempt to upload pix was marginally successful (25%) image

Comments

• wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Also, the Platinum Eagles are the first U.S. coins to ever be struck by the U.S. Mint physically bearing the dollar symbol ($) on the coins themselves, denoting their legal tender value in U.S. Dollars. At $100 in legal tender face value, the one ounce Platinum American Eagle is highest face value denomination ever to appear on a United States coin."

Steve: Neat stuff.

Interestingly, at least one auction house now calls the Plats - "PLATINUM COMMEMORATIVES" and since each year the design changes a number of other foks are now considering the coins "Type Coins". Last year, the mint issue price of $2,495/set for the 4 pc .proof set represented close to a 25% premium above the "melt" value of a set (figuring $1,000/oz Plat). The Mint sure does not appear to sell them as "bullion" at that premium (and most folks believe the Mint will, once again, raise its price for the 2006 sets when they are released later this month) !

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭
    I like the "platinum commemorative" nomenclature, and not just to differentiate the plats from bullion. They are just neat coins, and don't deserve to be "typed" as bullion soley, imo. As you mention, with the premium that the mint charges, it can hardly be said that the mint's price is only "bullion-related" although the price will move as does bullion, so to "cover their a$$" so to speak.
    Also, I can very easily see how type collectors like the idea of including the plat. commems. in their concept and collection of "type coins", as with the design changes, the plats, not only become an inviting addition to their sets, but they are really cool and beautiful and unique designs as well (and with the price of the base metal, we may see an end to the production of plat. coins sometime in the near future).
  • Excellent comments guys. IMHO in twenty years these coins will be the royal type set and old men with big bucks are going to fight over them. I'm just glad we get to live through such an exciting time at the US mint as far as product offerings are concerned.

Eric