Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Here's ONE new "Modern Market Maker"

<<Well, I sat and stared at my "up and comer" comments above, and thought:
"Why aren't there any market makers in moderns?"
"Is it only because the classic dealers don't know enough to do it?"
"How about some of us who do know enough?"
There are some modern series that may need a market maker. Heritage, Teletrade and eBay just aren't configured to handle some modern series, in large volume.
"Why aren't we doing it?"

There's where I couldn't come up with an answer, so I thought:
"Why don't I just do it?"

Please see my "Wanted" post on the BST forum, and PM me if you have what I want.

Thank you.
Link>>

Well, There is ONE new "Modern Market Maker" on the block.
I am happy to say that I am receiving responses to this post on the BST board.
If you have interest in selling these moderns, please see the link above.
Thank you.
Steve

Comments

• SlangNRoxSlangNRox Posts: 774 ✭✭
    Are you stocking up for a really great giveaway on the forum?

If so count me in.

If you are buying looking for PR70 coins then I wish you good luck and hope you find some.
  • RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭
    I thought "modern market maker" would look good on my resume, in case I became unemployed and found myself looking for a job in New Jersey. image
  • Hey Steve,

Interesting endeavor.

I could have used a "market maker" late last year to add a little "liquidity" in the Proof 70 Plat market on the sell side (not plat proof sets).

I decided to keep the coins. Point is, for folks like me, liquidity has its uses.

Perhaps your onto something here.image

BBpM
    Thank Laura! image
  • FullStepJeffsFullStepJeffs Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    If I only had the cash I'd be the market maker in Jeffersons no problem.

Other than the occasional trip to the middle east almost every year... I'm good. I have the prices lists already figured out. I know exactly what will make money in the series... I'm good... seriously.

Anybody got a few million to front me?

Steve
    U.S. Air Force Security Forces Retired

In memory of the USAF Security Forces lost: A1C Elizabeth N. Jacobson, 9/28/05; SSgt Brian McElroy, 1/22/06; TSgt Jason Norton, 1/22/06; A1C Lee Chavis, 10/14/06; SSgt John Self, 5/14/07; A1C Jason Nathan, 6/23/07; SSgt Travis Griffin, 4/3/08; 1Lt Joseph Helton, 9/8/09; SrA Nicholas J. Alden, 3/3/2011. God Bless them and all those who have lost loved ones in this war. I will never forget their loss.
    On a more serious note, to become a true market maker, one would have to be ready to both buy and sell. At this time, I am enjoying my collecting of plat 70s. The way I see it, most collectors are happy with their holdings, and due mostly to the incredibly low mintages of plats, there just isn't a lot of coins available with which to make a market. As of late (two days "in the biz") I am completely happy to be buying plats at fair prices, and am entertaining all offers to do so. On the selling side, however, there obviously hasn't been enough time to receive the coins that I have purchased, let alone have them slabbed for resale, or simply flip them raw. So in truth, I have been engaged in simply buying more platinum for my personal enjoyment. Added to this, is the fact that I enjoy the plats so much, I'd rather keep them, accumulating as much quality material as I possibly can. This, I have been saying for a long time. Because I simply find it difficult to let my platinum go, it appears that I am nothing more than a simple wannabe platinum "market maker" at this time. I look forward to discussing plats with any forum members that wish to PM me. image
  • clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615
    Steve, are you back or still over there?
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It certainly seems that buying moderns is a lot more fun than selling them.

Perhaps this is the real reason there aren't any market makers in moderns. There simply aren't
    any sellers. Look in Coin World. Now days there is ad after ad looking to buy moderns but there
    are almost no sellers. Sometimes there won't be an ad to sell these in an entire issue.

So, it looks like the bashers are right. These coins really are a one-way market. Once they are
    purchased they just disappear into a blackhole.

Some people might think that this is creating a tremendous overhang of material that will eventually
    come on the market and cause a disruption, but there's one little thing that will stop it. These buyers
    are doing much more advertising than buying. They may be getting some of the stuff that's readily
    available but they are not having people ship the stuff you don't see at the coin shows or the stuff
    you see only picked over.

It's hard to see this situation persisting for very long. At some point the "buyers" are going to get
    into a bidding war.
    Tempus fugit.
  • wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Steve: Actually, FYI - there are a handful of dealers that advertise weekly, if not daily, for Platinum Eagles on CCE. I personally work with John Rothans (www.jrrothans.com) in the Platinum Eagle area and he takes care of all of my buy ads, so I know you will see the Platinum buys if you take a look. CladKing is correct that the only problem is there is relatively no product to buy out there. I could use "six figures" of the Proof Platinum coins right now at Full Sheet, but, am generally only able to buy "five figures" per week at best, even at full sheet or slightly higher. As I mentioned, there are a number of other dealers aggressively buying these as well. Any collectors out there that have any 4 pc. Plat sets for sale- go test how easy it is to sell your coins!! Good luck Steve finding these sets!

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.