Home Metal Detecting
Options

march06 22nd update on page 2

I spent some time this week at three of my favorite sites and one new site. The weather has been near perfect for deep woods exploring. Just cold enough to dress up in full battle gear, but not so cold that I lose my fingers and toes. The ground is still frozen in some parts so I was only able to dig about half the targets that told me to dig.
Trash targets were around 20 to 1, mostly bullets and beer cans.
My machine... Whites IDX pro with 9.5 inch coil. Pinpointer... A pain in the @$$ Whites bullseye version 1 that gives false signals if you move faster than a snail on ritalin.
Group shot of most of the non-trash targets.

One of the nicest flat buttons I've found to date. No backmark, but the loop is still intact.(see group shot for size)

Little decorative ball type button.

Pewter ratclown on surf board.

Don't know what this used to be, but it's silver. It may have been a ring that lost a battle against a lawnmower.

Military button. Made in Newark NJ so not very old.

Silver braided ring that looks hand made, and what's left of a plated gold ring.

Parking lot find. 18kt gold earing modified by Goodyear.

I've found pieces of this type of buckle before and had no clue what they were. My first complete piece.

1943 US dime FPB (fully pitted bands).

1860 US dime

The next 4 were all found within 100 square feet, on the new site, along with many bullets and the funny looking buckle.
King George copper?

1804 US Half Cent

1722 Wood's Hibernia half penny.

Don't know what this is. Has Brittania with shield on reverse.

As for the photo tour.... picture fairly dense woods in every direction. One of these days I'll dare to take my camera along.

Comments

• Options
    Awesome!!!!! What a great new site. Those are some real interesting pieces.

You suck Phut (I say with envy).
  • Options
    <<gold earing modified by Goodyear>>

imageimage

Cool finds Tim. image
    I had about an hour to kill this weekend while the wife/kids were napping and took my camera out to a spot for the first time. It ends up cutting into the coil time but makes it more fun when you get home and see the pics along with finds. There are a few hunts I wish I would've had a camera with me to capture the moment.

HH, Rick
  • Options
    I believe the last coin you pictured (that you were'nt sure about) is a 1793 US Cent. Luckily, the part of the design which is unique to the 1793 Cent is still visible (the face). They are scarce in any condition, that one is probably worth around $125.
  • Options
    AgflyerAgflyer Posts: 947 ✭✭✭
    The last coin looks like a 1793 cent to me also. I was trying to see a chain, but I'm not quite that imaginative. Congrats!
    I've had great transactions with people like: drwstr123, CCC2010, AlanLastufka, Type2, Justlooking, zas107, StrikeOutXXX, 10point, 66Tbird, and many more!
  • Options
    that is a awsome colection of finds . congrats . i love the old coins that great . thanx for showing
    HH vincent
  • Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

<< <i>
    Don't know what this is. Has Brittania with shield on reverse.
    >>

Where do you see Britannia with shield? Based on my (admittedly limited) knowledge of US coins, I would have guessed that to be a 1793 cent as well.
    And furthermore, on the reverse, at about 2:30, halfway between center and rim, I believe I'm seeing two links of a chain(!). That position would be roughly correct given that the coin has lost some size through corrosion... I can't make those details fit on a wreath reverse..
    I tried to tweak the image, but it refuses to yield much more details.. any more visible in hand??? Could it be...???

The other finds are of course of guaranteed Phut-caliber as well!

Edit(spelling)
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Options
    What part of the country are you detecting in? What drew you to these locations? You obviously have a great eye for locating sites. All I can say is awesome!
  • Options
    Yeah I say these finds are great...and where are you hunting!
  • Options
    joefrojoefro Posts: 1,872 ✭✭
    Wow! I would go back and recover that 100 sq feet plus the surrounding square mile... every square inch at a time! Congratulations!!
    Lincoln Cent & Libertad Collector
  • Options
    here's a web site I like that provides the early one cent pics:

Coin Doc
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You found enough in one outting to last most of us a lifetime. Way to go. I like the FPB designation on the Mercury dime.
  • Options
    YOU SUCK! x3
    I lust for silver.
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    eyoung429eyoung429 Posts: 6,374
    Hey Phut, time fer the ole tater!!!! That is one HECK of a nice find!!!!!!!!
    This is a very dumb ass thread. - Laura Sperber - Tuesday January 09, 2007 11:16 AM image

Hell, I don't need to exercise.....I get enough just pushing my luck.
  • Options

<< <i>I spent some time this week at three of my favorite sites >>

Riverbank??
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    Nice finds. I feel your pain with the Whited Bullseye. I had the same problem. Beeped on nearly everything in the hole it seemed even after cracking the case and adjusting it.

Northern California
    Minelab Sovereign GT with 180 meter and Sunray probe.
  • Options
    phutphut Posts: 1,087
    Most of the stuff was found on NH seacoast in the woods at the edge of a marsh. Briar central. My MD jacket got all tore up.
    The seated dime came from in the river at the riverbank site. I went back there today and found squat. Think it's time to move up stream a little more.
    I never tried the tater trick. Normally I carry a plastic baggie with a little olive oil. Just enough to keep the dirt on the finds moist. When I get home I use a toothpick to remove any loose dirt, take pictures and throw them in a container with more olive oil. Most are ripe for cleaning after a day or two, but I still have some that have been soaking for nearly a year.
    The green coin reverse looks like the 1717 half penny Britannia to me. Shield on lower right with right arm extended down toward her knee holding flowers, but the obverse sure does look female. I don't know. I'd sure like it to be a 1793.
  • Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The green coin reverse looks like the 1717 half penny Britannia to me. Shield on lower right with right arm extended down toward her knee holding flowers, but the obverse sure does look female. I don't know. I'd sure like it to be a 1793. >>

Maybe foolish of me to try and speculate based on the image when Phut has the coin in hand, but in the spirit of keeping the 1793 cent hope alive: image

Reverse:
    I think I see what you you mean about Britannia (using some imagination and largely going by the green color, I think I can see an outline..), but:
    - Isn't Brinannia too far to the right overall? (obverse looks well centered)
    - The angle between hand and flowers looks too large (slightly less than 90 degrees on halfpenny)

Obverse:
    - The slope of the nose vs forehead looks more like 1793 cent than 1717 halfpenny..

A 1717 halfpenny can be seen here
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Options
    Nice stuff ya got there!!
    You sure do have some nice spots image
    Want List
    Proud member of the CUFYNA
    Need a Banner Made? PM ME!
  • Options
    joefrojoefro Posts: 1,872 ✭✭
    Are you cleaning up these coins some more? We would all really like to see some more pictures of these finds! I think this thread is deserving of a more exclamatory title.
    Lincoln Cent & Libertad Collector
  • Options
    Hey Phut!!!

That pewter ratclown on a surfboard is actually a greatful dead bear! Cool find man! Coulda' been dropped by a hippie (probably so)... here is a picture in case you dont know what they look like...imageimage

Awesome coins man!
  • Options
    Far out man.
    There were a lot of hippies here, in the late seventies, protesting the nuke plant. They camped out in the woods and left all kinds of trash.
    Thanks Distelrath.
  • Options
    Mighty cool there Phut! So wherabouts are you located? Around here (Clarksville, Tenn.) there really wasn't too much of a hippie movement (surprisingly enough, considering we have Ft. Campbell about 10 minutes away). It might've been somebody else on this forum, but weren't you stationed in Japan for a while? One other thing... how big is your pewter ratclown on a surfboard?

Take Care,
    Ryan
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I've found pieces of this type of buckle before and had no clue what they were. My first complete piece. >>

Looks like your basic 18th century shoe buckle to me, though it could be a knee buckle as well.

Man, that last coin's obverse sure looks like the Lady Liberty from the Chain cent. Of course, she wouldn't be muled with a Britannia reverse... would she? image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

After doing a little research in some old Western and Eastern Treasures magazines I have, there is a drawing of this exact buckle.

It is listed as a Spanish officer's shoe buckle of the American Revolutionary War period! It also states..."Like many other Spanish artifacts, this example displays a heavy French influence."

imageimage
  • Options
    Distelrath, I'm on the border with Mass. and we have a lot of hippie types.
    The ratclown is a little bigger than a US quarter.

<< <i>Man, that last coin's obverse sure looks like the Lady Liberty from the Chain cent. Of course, she wouldn't be muled with a Britannia reverse... would she? >>

I have no clue. Did US use old Brit copper as blanks?

John, that is cool. Nice job of researching. Guess I won't be throwing that in the pile of not so good junk.
  • Options
    I grafted a pic of a 1793 onto yours, and it sure looks like the face and hair are a match.
    Liberty is really hard to tell you can almost read what you want into it, and the date looks hopeless at this time.
    the reverse also, I'm tempted to see what appears to be a link in a chain ... Would tried a graft, but not knowing which end is up
    would make in meaningless.
    Great finds in any case. if any of the crud comes off, do repost some pics.

JJ
  • Options
    JJ69
    I did the same thing with both sides and got myself even more confused.
    Reverse: Arms, leg and NIA all line up fairly well. The shield is a little different. Britannia looks like a match.

Obverse:Face, hair and what appears to be a 93 line up fairly well. There is (?)RT(?) on the edge in front of the bust. The T lines up directly with the nose.
    Could be someones attempt at a counterfiet? I don't know, and if I enter it this month, where does it go?
    Anyway, I'll let it cook in olive oil for a while to see if it cleans up any better. Usually only the black stuff comes off. If I remove the green it will be a slug.

Next.
    I've been trying to hunt newer sites to anything silver that is larger than a dime(no luck). Plus, I'm back to work so I have to hunt easier sites in the dark.

Small gold ring with chipped opal that I found in no-no park(no MDing). Next time I go back I'll take pictures to show you why. No woods so I don't mind carrying the extra load. Oh, the place has been hammered so I'm not the only one breaking the rules (who,me?)

Yup...Another dime sized silverimage
    1824 Mexico 1/2 Reale

1879, 1898, 1923

The rest of the stuff I found at the site that I found the King William copper and the old cufflinks last year.

Horse or lion? It's coated in silver, but really thick. The base metal is gone on the legs and tail yet it still holds together.

I've been looking for pointy rock Indian arrow heads, but all I've found so far is a rock that looks like a pointy headed Indian.

This rock is too uniform to be made by nature. It's about 3 1/2 X 1 1/2 X 3/4 inches. It has the same veins as the pointy head. Perhaps a grinding or honing stone.

This shell is a long way from home.

Here is a picture of the new site that I found the 4 coppers. The red arrow points to the locationimage

Thanks for looking, and break a coil! Oh wait that only works for legs in Hollywood.
  • Options
    Nice follow-up Tim!!

That ring is killer! A lot of nice detail going on there.

As a collector of holey coins that 1/2 R is sweet!

This looks like a broken celt or chisel possibly. Can you get a pic of the right hand face that looks broken? How about a pic of the side as well? You might be onto something here, but I need to see more views of it.

Oh yeah.
    You Suck!!
    imageimage
  • Options
    More views of the rounded rock.

The broken end

Side view

Flipped over

Went out today on a mission to find pointy rocks. Took a friend that graduated last year from Phut's school of dangerous detectin'. I brought my detector along for the ride, but it turned out to be just luggage. My former student made a real nice find that I'll create a thread for when I get pics.
    I think my mission was a success.
    I forgot to add something to the pictures for scale. This piece is 1.5 inches long by a little over an inch wide.
    Side 1

Side 2

Looking at the point

Looking at the broken end
    I rather enjoyed the pointy rock hunt. The corn field was easy to walk in and there were no ticks or poison ivy.

Finds from last nights park hunt. Look familiar LordM

Cub scout tie clip?
  • Options
    Phut your kill'en meimageSweet find's,one of these day's when I don't have to have a wet suit and flipper's to go detecting I will find somethingimageHH,Tom
  • Options
    Nice work Tim!

I think the rounded stone is likely a hone. If you hunt enough plowed fields they can show up quite frequently.

Hey, another Green River Token! That is really image

How deep was the Cub Scout neckerchief slide? It looks rather old.

Hey!

Congrats on your first prehistoric find!
    That material is interesting with all the inclusions it has. From the view of the broken end it appears to be an old break. (I'm really guessing without the piece in hand.)
    You can usually tell if a point was broken in prehistoric times or by the 200 years of plowing. If the broken edge has the same patination as the rest of the blade, it is an old break. A new break will show no patina on the broken edge and will appear a more dull , darker color than the rest of the piece.

<< <i>My former student made a real nice find that I'll create a thread for when I get pics. >>

Can't wait to see it!
    imageimage
  • Options
    laserartlaserart Posts: 2,255
    This might be a Tiger Cub neckerchief slide, Tiger Cubs are pre Cub Scout.

"If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • Options
    ANOTHER half-real?

Has anbody lately said how much you s...

Yeah, I guess they have. image

Hey, cool! Another Green River Whiskey token! Sure does look familiar!

Oh- your "horse-lion" thingie is all lion, no doubt. A very royal, British-looking lion.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

<< <i>Did US use old Brit copper as blanks? >>

Yes, a few examples are known, I believe. Mostly of colonial coppers overstruck on regal halfpennies, but I think some US large cents were also struck over old Britannias in a few examples. That wouldn't explain a Flowing Hair (Chain cent) obverse muled with a Britannia reverse, though. Usually the undertype is pretty weak when another design is overstruck onto a previously-struck coin.

You should post that thing on the US Coin Forum, if you haven't already.