Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1975 Topps Mini Question re: Mike Schmidt

Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have seen this card cut much shorter than usual in quite a few sets; is this a known phenomenon? I have two "shorties" and noticed this third:

Link to ebay - Schmidt shorty
Mike
Bosox1976

Comments

• Options
    WondoWondo Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭
    Many 75 minis are irregularly sized. I broke a huge lot of them a few years ago, all crisp and original. The sizes varied quite a bit.
    Wondo

• Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    I sent 6 (All Star cards) 75 minis to PSA.All 6 appeared nice enough for the very minimum a PSA 8 however three of them came back as miscut non holdered.I seen no evidence of them being miscut either undercut or overcut.No evidence of another card appearing eirher on the front or back of any of the rjected ones.They were quite simalar except for centering to the 3 I had graded.Seaver PSA9 dead centered,Mantle/Wills PSA 8 and Munson PSA 8 Actually I thought this one looked better than the Seaver.Now I have over 100 minis
    that are absolutely stunning but I am not sure If I will send them to PSA as I had planned becaause of the experience I had with the original 6 or just start building a raw set around these.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    It's not just the Schmidt card, it's common among any of the green and yellow cards as well as the red on top, yellow on bottom cards. Many of them seem to show up short. The ones that aren't short often have a yellow line along the top edge. I just got a PSA 8 out of a Schmidt that I submitted with a rather thick yellow line up at the top. It looks borderline 7, but I'll take the 8.
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I opened a ton of '75 mini rack packs back in '75 and that is definitely a common occurence with the cards in general.

Steve
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting stuff all. Welcome to the boards Toad (and thanks for the enlightenment)!
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    I've got a Schmidt with a blue line at the top, too.

Toad - if you are interested in selling that PSA 8, please let me know.
    Cheers
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    MiniMasterMiniMaster Posts: 505 ✭✭
    As others have indicated the "short cut card" is a common phenomenon with the Mini's. Quality Control does not appear to have been a high priorty for Topps regarding the Mini's. Perhaps because it was a test issue distributed in CA & MI only (at the time of it's initial release) Topps figured there was less need for perfection? Whatever the reason may be, the sizes of most Mini's are relatively consistant with the occasional short card or taller cards. I've opened packs that have a single card about an 1/8" or so taller than the rest. The green/yellow or red/yellow (most commonly) other color combo's are less common but I've seen these (rarely) as well. These are just a few of the many reasons the 75 Topps Mini is so difficult to put together in PSA 9 or better. After well over 26,000 of these 75 Topps Mini's have been graded by PSA there are still 7 cards that have never graded higher than PSA 8. #75 Ted Simmons, #173 Steve Rogers, #251 Fran Healy, #564 Tommy Davis, #583 Andy Etchebarren, #626 Larry Haney, and #647 Claudell Washington.

• Options
    I emailed you, mschoenen.