Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Cracking open a BGS case

Today,

I got the very first BGS-graded card I've ever even seen! I'm going to crack it out and send it to PRO.....ur.....PSA.

It has a unique case, very nice actually. Can someone help me crack it out? I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

Josh

Comments

• I use a wood chisel. It's sharp enough to slide into the gap. A simple twist sends pieces flying, so wear eye protection or be very careful when opening these slabs.

Cheers! Wick

Enjoy collecting vintage baseball cards, memorabilia and autos
  • ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    This article always gets quoted here when these type of questions come up:

Cracking
  • ndleondleo Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I take a drill and put two small holes next to each other near the label. Then I take a screwdriver and drive it in between the two holes until the seal starts to crack. Work the screwdriver around the edge. Be careful not to hit the card when breaking the seal because it takes a little bit of force.
    Mike
  • lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Turn the slab upside down on the floor.Apply downward pressure with a flat-head screwdriver all along the crease where the two pieces create the seal. The seal will turn white and crack. Do this all the way around. You should be able to pry them apart with your hands. If not insert the screwdriver in an opening and pry up. Its really easy and alot safer then using a hammer or something dumb like that. I do it all the time.

Matt
  • zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭
    Here is a play by play picture how to that I just took.

Any questions?

edited to add: 8.5 my a$$. This puppy is sweet.

EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions

• << <i>Here is a play by play picture how to that I just took. >>

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage ....but remember to hide your animals and wear bulllit proof glasses !!!!
    My focus, 1970 Topps Baseball Raw and Graded, pre 1989 PSA Hockey and 1933 INDIAN GUM ! Yikes!!
  • Zef,

That's really awesome of you.

Thanks so much.
  • BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    I'm going to start trying Zef's method. I've always used a caveman approach in the past, which essentially amounts to getting a paring knife with a thick spine, sawing into the corner of the slab and twisting once I've gotten the blade in far enough. The only problem with this method is that the plasic flies off the slab like shrapnel.
  • zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

<< <i>Zef,

That's really awesome of you.

Thanks so much. >>

No prob. Glad I could help.

This is contagious however.

I just cracked this open as well because I think it deserves better than an 8.:

EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • I know what you mean! I must say, however, that BGS cases are of MUCH higher quality than PSA. I don't know how many of these cases I'll want to crack open!!

I like cracking PSA. It's one of my favorite pasttimes!!!!
  • SDavidSDavid Posts: 1,584 ✭✭
    I use Zef's method except I use a dremel. Also, when prying them open with a screwdriver, I've found that the two slabs separate cleaner if the card is face down.
  • StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I know what you mean! I must say, however, that BGS cases are of MUCH higher quality than PSA. I don't know how many of these cases I'll want to crack open!!

I like cracking PSA. It's one of my favorite pasttimes!!!! >>

Sounds like you might have a crack problem?image

Stingray
  • slantycouchslantycouch Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭
    Just successfully cracked my first BGS slab with the help of this thread. Thank you Internet!
  • thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
    I use that method as well. One suggestion, though. I usually do all of the cracking and prying halfway into a garbage bag because the bits and shards of BGS case will fly everywhere at high speeds. Maybe there is a better way to go than a grabage bag but definitely do what you can to cover/contain the destruction.
  • slantycouchslantycouch Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭
    Good call. I hadn't expected the shards to fly like that.