Home U.S. Coin Forum

1895-O Morgan in Lucite??? Edit: Pics added

I recently came accross an 1895-O morgan dollar thats been encased in a block of lucite next to a sand timer. Coin has AU details but has been abbrasively polished, looks like a good candidate for a pocket piece. Ive been slowly chipping away at this block with a screwdriver and am getting closer to the coin and am affraid that im going to mar the coins surface trying to get it out. Question: Anyone here have the pleasure of trying to remove a coin from a solid piece of plastic like this, and if so - What did you find to be the best method? Is the lucite going to be strongly adheared to the surface of the coin and is this a fruitless battle. I was thinking of dropping this in a boiling pot of water to soften the lucite, anyone think this would work? All opinions welcome, Thanks.

Comments

• Find someone with liquid nitrogen. Put the block in the nitrogen for a moment and then drop on a cement floor.

• << <i>Find someone with liquid nitrogen. Put the block in the nitrogen for a moment and then drop on a cement floor. >>

Sounds like something you would see in a movie, have you actually tried this? And where could I get some?
  • pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    sounds like a job for Dr. Freeze

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Get a CO2 extinguisher- shoot it for a minute- smack it with a hammer- should shatter like a window.
  • tmot99tmot99 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Find someone with liquid nitrogen. Put the block in the nitrogen for a moment and then drop on a cement floor. >>

Sounds like something you would see in a movie, have you actually tried this? And where could I get some? >>

Your local industrial gas supplier probalby has it.
  • librtyheadlibrtyhead Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Get a CO2 extinguisher- shoot it for a minute- smack it with a hammer- should shatter like a window. >>

that just might work throw it in a freezer for awhile first?
  • dry ice
  • lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    send it to ngc or their restoration branch to slab at any grade
    I brake for ear bars.
  • TACloughTAClough Posts: 1,598
    Won't acetone eat the plastic?

Tim
  • Well, I took the easy road out and THREW IT AS HARD AS I COULD AT THE GROUND. Surprisingly it worked, and didn't damage the coin further than it already was. There are two guages on the obverse and one on the reverse that are very deep, (they were there before I cracked it out) but besides these and the polishing the detail is very nice. Curious as to if anyone knows a way to wear down the polished surfaces effectively? Thanks for all the suggestions, they will be remembered for future reference.

Attached are some photos of the coin.

• RampageRampage Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭✭
    I actually like it. Congratulations on getting it out so easily. So, the real question is how much did the coin cost? image Of course you do not have to answer if you do not want, but that is a pretty sweet find...
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> Curious as to if anyone knows a way to wear down the polished surfaces effectively? Thanks for all the suggestions, they will be remembered for future reference. >>

Try carrying it around in your pocket with other change.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,267 ✭✭✭
    With those pics you could sell it on ebay as mint state.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • slipgateslipgate Posts: 2,301 ✭✭
    That's a pretty nice coin for a pocket piece, I'd say it would fetch at least $1000 even raw. Probably more.
    My Registry Sets! PCGS Registry
  • jmj3esqjmj3esq Posts: 5,421
    That is a real nice coin. What sort of clown would have encased that coin in plastic? Do you think PCGS would grade it with those deep gouges?
  • The date on that coin looks funny -- the 9 and the 5 look thick. Here is a genuine 95-O:

And here is the OPs Coin:

imageimage

Looks like it might be an altered 1885-O.
  • jdsinvajdsinva Posts: 1,508

<< <i>Looks like it might be an altered 1885-O. >>

I disagree, looks OK to me, other than someone stabbed it a couple of times with an ice pick or something. . .
    Jeff

Semper ubi sub ubi
  • PhillyJoePhillyJoe Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭✭
    You might want to send it to ANACS; wherever they are this week.

Joe
    The Philadelphia Mint: making coins since 1792. We make money by making money. Now in our 225th year thanks to no competition. image

• << <i><< Looks like it might be an altered 1885-O. >>

I disagree, looks OK to me, other than someone stabbed it a couple of times with an ice pick or something. . . >>

The photos are actually from my flat-bed scanner, the date does not look that bulbous in hand. I overlayed my photo with one from a heritage auction and the date lines up perfectly, and there are no tooling marks to be found.

<< <i>I actually like it. Congratulations on getting it out so easily. So, the real question is how much did the coin cost? Of course you do not have to answer if you do not want, but that is a pretty sweet find... >>

I cant honestly say how much I payed as I dont remember purchasing it. It has been sitting on my bookcase for quite a few years and a client recently picked it up and noticed the date, actually offered me $100 dollars on the spot. I guess I must have figured it for silver in a deal and set it aside whithout giving it another thought.

<< <i>That is a real nice coin. What sort of clown would have encased that coin in plastic? Do you think PCGS would grade it with those deep gouges? >>

Im assuming that because of the damage to the coin that back when it was encased it wasn't considered valuable. The lucite had turned to a light yellow from age, so I figure this was done a long time ago. The coin is going to ANACS next week for authentication, then ill crack it out and pocket it to restore a more natural look to the coin.

Thanks for all your comments, will update this thread when I get the coin back.

• << <i>

<< <i><< Looks like it might be an altered 1885-O. >>

I disagree, looks OK to me, other than someone stabbed it a couple of times with an ice pick or something. . . >>

The photos are actually from my flat-bed scanner, the date does not look that bulbous in hand. I overlayed my photo with one from a heritage auction and the date lines up perfectly, and there are no tooling marks to be found. >>

Look at the "8" as well --- it looks a lot more like the first "8" on the 1885-O. Also, I did not notice before someone else mentioned it, but there does appear to be two very large gashes chunked out of the coin. I would have a reputable dealer look at it first before spending any $$$ at ANACS -- you might be wasting money.

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i><< Looks like it might be an altered 1885-O. >>

The photos are actually from my flat-bed scanner, the date does not look that bulbous in hand. I overlayed my photo with one from a heritage auction and the date lines up perfectly, and there are no tooling marks to be found. >>

Look at the "8" as well --- it looks a lot more like the first "8" on the 1885-O. Also, I did not notice before someone else mentioned it, but there does appear to be two very large gashes chunked out of the coin. I would have a reputable dealer look at it first before spending any $$$ at ANACS -- you might be wasting money. >>

Coinhusker, Im curious as to why you feel these two gashes on the obverse give you cause for concern as to the authenticity? Cast counterfiet maybe ??? I truly appreciate your opinion and advice.

Here's a close up of the date, notice that the contrast 'White' around the date causes it to look larger, these images are from a flatbed scanner that doesn't do 3D very well. Please let me know if these images give you cause for concern.
    All opinions appreciated, Thanks
  • seanqseanq Posts: 8,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm assuming that because of the damage to the coin that back when it was encased it wasn't considered valuable. The lucite had turned to a light yellow from age, so I figure this was done a long time ago. The coin is going to ANACS next week for authentication, then ill crack it out and pocket it to restore a more natural look to the coin. >>

So you just spent all that time and effort to break the coin out a big piece of plastic, and now you're going to pay someone else good money to but it back in a block of plastic, so when you get it back you can break it out of the plastic again? What a great hobby! image

Sean Reynolds

[Edited because I either can't spell or can't type, the jury is still out]
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor

• << <i>

<< <i>I'm assuming that because of the damage to the coin that back when it was encased it wasn't considered valuable. The lucite had turned to a light yellow from age, so I figure this was done a long time ago. The coin is going to ANACS next week for authentication, then ill crack it out and pocket it to restore a more natural look to the coin. >>

So you just spent all that time and effort to break the coin out a big piece of plastic, and now you're going to pay someone else good money to but it back in a block of plastic, so when you get it back you can break it out of the plastic again? What a great hobby! image

Sean Reynolds

[Edited because I either can't spell or can't type, the jury is still out] >>

Well when you put it that way ... image
  • anablepanablep Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great coin.

Let it ride around with you in your pocket for a few months, then post more pictures.

Then get it entombed at ANACS or PCGS and let us know the results!!
    Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • I did not mean to imply the gashes meant the coin was not authentic. Even with that damage, the coin is likely worth something if it is a genuine 95-O.

Seeing the close-up date, it still looks like an altered 85-O to me.

Heck, send it to ANACS anyway, it will be educational for the board. What have you got to lose, maybe $30 in grading fees plus shipping (maybe less if you send it with other coins)?
  • holeinone1972holeinone1972 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭
    So what ever happened?

• shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i> Curious as to if anyone knows a way to wear down the polished surfaces effectively? Thanks for all the suggestions, they will be remembered for future reference. >>

Try carrying it around in your pocket with other change. >>

Yea, verily.

Here's a Canadian dollar I bought for $7.95 over 2 years ago with AU details and lots of hairlines from cleaning:

This is what it looks like now:

Obscurum per obscurius

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file