Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I just opened an OBW roll of 1979-D SBA dollars and have questions about these coins............

SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
.........that I would like to pose to SBA fans (if there are any).

The $25.00 roll was purchased by my mother in 1979 from a bank. She gave the roll to me and I have kept it ever since. My curiousity got to me so I opened the roll and took a look at the coins. Even though I do not like the obverse design of the coin, I must say I was impressed with the quality of the coins.

The strike on the coins is on the whole strong. They have great luster. The color of the coins is a very light gold with splashes of light blue streaks. The obverse of the coins, particularly the bust of Susie B. Anthony have some light chatter and on some of the coins have some small contact marks. The reverse of the coins is suprisingly free of chatter and contact marks. In proper lighting, the coins have great eye appeal.

I do not know how to grade these coins, but in general, I would think that many of them would be MS65 (since this grade does allow for the presence of some chatter and marks). Some may even be MS 66.

I know that raw these coins are not worth more than $1.50-$2.00, but I was suprised at how nice they are.

For SBA fans, my questions are how common are these coins in MS65 or above condition?; are there any varieties for 1979D coins that I should look for?; and how valuable would a 1979D coin be in MS65 or MS66 if it was slabbed by PCGS or NGC? Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are probably less than 15,000 SBA graded by PCGS covering all years, I think. Less than a thousand from 79D are graded. No particular variety except the WIDE RIM from the Philly mint, to my knowledge, in '79,

When I was stationed in Germany with the Army in 79 they were distributed around base. Nobody really cared for them.... we thought they were oversized quarters. Unfortunately, they never got a foothold in American society , either. I think the size killed them.
    For that fact alone, they are easy to obtain with little expense. The cost of grading would far exceed the value in my opinion.

Oh, they make great gifts to young kids.... You just never know when you will wake that numismatist in a kid until you try image Or, hold out the best and get them graded just to protect them. You may have a 67 in the bunch image and that will put you at nearly 300. PCGS guide says the value of a 65 is twenty bucks, so if it isn't for protection , there isn't much reason to have it graded.

~there's always a flipside
  • Options
    RonBRonB Posts: 636 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>...Or, hold out the best and get them graded just to protect them. You may have a 67 in the bunch image and that will put you at nearly 300. PCGS guide says the value of a 65 is twenty bucks, so if it isn't for protection , there isn't much reason to have it graded.

~there's always a flipside >>

I agree.

The Gold Gold/Blue toning is desirable in my experience.
    You need 66+ to break even slabbing. They will be virtually mark - free.
    Maybe try to pick out 5 or so and see what happens.

Even UNC Mint Sets / SBA Souvenir Sets rarely produce over 63-65's

GL - Ron
    Collector of Classic US Coins
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the information, it is helpful.

Since these coins are essentially a gift from my mother (she passed away 10 years ago), I do not plan on getting rid of them. I will hold them and maybe one day pick the best 5 coins and roll the dice on having them slabbed. Who knows, I may get a 66 or 67.

These coins really are very nice, particularly the light gold and light blue color and the great luster/eye appeal.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,353 ✭✭✭✭✭

The '79-D does come nicer than the Philly or San Francisco in the mint sets and there are
    a few very choice gems in the set. Circulation strikes also come a little nicer though it is
    pretty unusual to find an entire roll of this quality
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    wayneherndonwayneherndon Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭
    The '79-D does come nicer than the Philly or San Francisco in the mint sets....

There are no S-mint dollars in the 1979 Mint Sets.

WH
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,353 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The '79-D does come nicer than the Philly or San Francisco in the mint sets....

There are no S-mint dollars in the 1979 Mint Sets.

WH >>

D'oh. Of course you're right. I must have been thinking of the souvenir mint sets but the S's tend to be awful in these sets.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    PriestPriest Posts: 270 ✭✭
    I'm a little late but there is a 1979-S bussiness strike. I remember buying a Unc. Mint Set and also buying a S mint mark and putting it
    in a 2X2.
    D.A. Priest

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file