Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Confessions of a Mint State SBA$ Market Maker

Alright I admit it!

I am a Modern "Market Maker for SBA's".

I buy any Top POP SBA that anyone will sell 20% below the going market price. Of course, this is incredibly few coins. Most people that have bought these coins or made them know to sell on eBay. When they offer them to me I tell them they can get more on eBay. EBay is the real market maker and they charge almost 10% once you include seller and Paypal fees. That is why I can only offer 20% below market.

With all that said I do support a bottom to these coins. Occasionally a coin win not garner the bids (often just over looked or poorly photographed) and I will pick it up.

Lately the prices have been WAY higher than what I would consider average.

Here is a list of the last group that sold on eBay 2/16/6 and their PCGS price guide value.

1979 P WR MS66 sold 432.27 PCGS price $350
1979 D PCGS MS67 sold $360 PCGS price $275
1979 S PCGS MS67 sold $210 PCGS price $300 (PCGS is wrong on this one, it is the most common of the early MS67's and should be $225)
1980 P PCGS MS67 sold $227 PCGS price $225
1980 D PCGS MS67 sold $185.26 PCGS price $315 (I should have bought this one).
1980 S PCGS MS67 sold $476.87 PCGS price $360
1981 P PCGS MS66 sold $260 PCGS price $275 (This was a $100 coin a year ago, and not a Top POP)
1981 D PCGS MS67 sold $596 PCGS price $550
1981 S PCGS MS66 sold $781 PCGS price $650
1999 D PCGS MS68 sold $920 PCGS price $475

(If I am not mistaken) I sold several of these coins to this collector for much less, and I was offered the set about a year ago. I offerd to buy the set but told the collector they could make more on eBay. It appears I was right!!

Flame away!

I am going to bed and my day job tomorrow.

(PAST) OWNER #1 SBA$ REGISTRY COLLECTOIN

Comments

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ttt
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Let me know when you get a 1981 Type II SBA in PR69DCAM on eBay. I'm looking to finish my proof set.
    image Scottish Fold Gold
  • Options
    <<I buy any Top POP SBA that anyone will sell 20% below the going market price. >>

<<1999 D PCGS MS68 sold $920>>image

might have to think about it....image
    Monday April 10, 2006 9:04 AM

SM1 calls me a troublemaker....image

--------------------------------------------
    Sunday August 19, 2007 9:17AM

A mentor awarded " YOU SUCK!!"
  • Options
    INXSINXS Posts: 1,202
    I was the underbidder on that 79P and was very surprised at the hammer price.
    "Well here's another nice mess you have gotten me into" Oliver Hardy 1930

BST successful dealings with:MsMorrisine, goldman86
  • Options
    RedTigerRedTiger Posts: 5,608
    Post your bids (what you are currently paying) and asks (what you currently charge for coins for immediately delivery), then you'll be a market maker. Change them however often you need to, limit the volume if you must (this price is good for five coins or fewer or whatever) in order to stay current. Is 20% below the prices realized your "bid," if so what is your "ask?"

It will only benefit the segment to have one or more market makers.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    no kidding?

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file