Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How do you tell a friend NOT to collect Franklin Mint products?

My long time friend recieved a large amount of silver from his father last year. Most of it is Franklin mint type stuff. He is getting interested in collecting and has been doing some small time purchasing of the same type of items. How do I go about telling him that the stuff is JUNK and that he should focus on U.S. Mint products or at least any other REAL countries mint products. Obviously I could tell him that the stuff is junk and that he will over pay and the stuff won't realize profit potential like US mint coinage would but I'd like to be able to really give him some good info instead of just saying "Your stuff is crap".

Comments

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    While most Franklin Mint stuff is worth no more than its bullion value, the U.S. mint products are no panacea either when it comes to increasing or even holding their value. While some modern Proof sets are worth more, sometimes a lot more than their issue prices, some others have turned out to be losers. AND if I were a betting man, I’d say that some Proof sets will go down in value once the State Quarter program ends a couple years from now.

People are free to collect whatever they like provided that it’s legal to own it. And now that the Franklin Mint marketing blitz is over, a lot of the stuff can be purchased for around melt if you look for it at the shows. In a way your friend would be betting on the future price of silver if he starts “investing” in Franklin Mint.

Still you could tell him that most Franklin Mint items have no large collector following, and most of the stuff is only with melt. If he still wants it after you tell him that, he should be free to buy what he wants.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    slipgateslipgate Posts: 2,301 ✭✭
    Easy - use the great equalize, ebay, you can show him that franklin mint garbage sells for almost nothing and never will...

of course if he really just likes it, who's to blame him? There is no accounting for bad taste!
    My Registry Sets! PCGS Registry
  • Options

<< <i>Still you could tell him that most Franklin Mint items have no large collector following, and most of the stuff is only with melt. If he still wants it after you tell him that, he should be free to buy what he wants. >>

I would just like to give him good advice and don't want to see him end up with a closet full of franklin mint items with huge dreams of it being worth more then melt.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dunno, can you make a case that Franklin Mint products are junk and modern bullion and proof coins aren't?

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    UncleJoeUncleJoe Posts: 2,521 ✭✭✭
    Did you ask him why he is buying Franklin Mint products?

It seems there may be a sentimental reason which you, I nor anyone else can put a value on but him.

On the other hand if he is "investing" in these collectibles, then using the internet, eBay etc. will surely give him an idea as to the value of these items.

In addition, everything is not Junk or Crap just because it doesn't fit someone elses view of what is valuable and what it may be worth later on. For some, this is not an issue.

Joe.
  • Options

<< <i>Did you ask him why he is buying Franklin Mint products?

It seems there may be a sentimental reason which you, I nor anyone else can put a value on but him.

On the other hand if he is "investing" in these collectibles, then using the internet, eBay etc. will surely give him an idea as to the value of these items.

In addition, everything is not Junk or Crap just because it doesn't fit someone elses view of what is valuable and what it may be worth later on. For some, this is not an issue.

Joe. >>

He is indeed investing.

Edited to add: When his father gave him his gift of Franklin Mint items he said to him "You will be able to put your daughter through college with this some day" ........
  • Options
    Have MrEureka talk with him. I heard MrEureka has an opinion on Franklin Mint products. image
  • Options
    flaminioflaminio Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭
    This group generally takes a dim view of Franklin Mint products, but to my way of thinking, if you can buy their silver medals for near melt anyway, why not? It's no different from collecting other silver rounds, or investing in silver bullion. From my recent poll it appears that many people here feel that silver's going to continue to go up, so it's not so bad of an investment.

Bottom line, buy what you like, don't pay too much, don't expect too much, and enjoy the hobby.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Edited to add: When his father gave him his gift of Franklin Mint items he said to him "You will be able to put your daughter through college with this some day" ........ >>

Yea, the Hunt Brothers try to fool with silver market again, and his timing is perfect.image

Seriously his father was WAY OFF on that one. As a collectable, it's hard to think of anything that is as dead as Franklin mint material. Many a couple hundred years from now they might become like Condor tokens, but I wouldn't bet on it.

If he wants to invest in something, tell him to get a good stock broker who can guide him into some funds. Coins and tokens are not investment items.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These items are probably worth double what they were two years ago.

Many of the FM products are very high quality and were well executed and designed. Generally
    this stuff is grossly underappreciated in terms of importance and most other attributes which con-
    stitute value. Will he get rich or put his daughter through college by collecting it? Probably not.
    Mintages of the medals is high and interest in the coins is low. There are lots of items though that
    have a lot going for them and can be purchased for close to melt value. If you like to buy silver and
    gold then there may be no better way to buy it. Just be sure you aren't overpaying or paying large
    premiums for common items.

There are some of these coins like the Carribean gold that has no interest, tiny mintages, and huge
    attrition. These can be beautiful designs of important subjects but they are being destroyed by their
    issuers because they have very high face values. Some of these will exist only in the dozens someday
    because of all the destruction and lack of any collector interest.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    At one time the Franklin Mint produced proof coins for other nations, including some of Martys' weenie coins!
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    They also issued circulation coins for some countries as well.

As far as discouraging him from INVESTING in FM products you can point out to him that today, some thirty years after much of the FM material was sold and with silver worth five times as much now as it was then, the FM material is still only worth about what it was originally sold for. So if it has taken thirty years to break even his daughter is going to be VERY old before she can go to college. If on the other hand he wants to buy them because he likes them and he can get them for not a lot over melt then why not collect them. The Fanklin Mint made some very attractive items and they are worth having smply because they are pretty. So collect yes, invest NO!
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>by saying "Your stuff is crap". >>

I like the direct approach image
  • Options

<< <i>At one time the Franklin Mint produced proof coins for other nations, including some of Martys' weenie coins! >>

No thread is complete, without a mention of Marty's weenie... image

Anyways, there are a few collectors out there that actively collect FM items... you never know.

Besides, if you can get them close to melt, it doesn't see like such a bad deal.

~g image
    I listen to your voice like it was music, [ y o u ' r e ] the song I want to know.

I'd give you the world, just because...

Speak to me of loved ones, favorite places and things, loves lost and gained, tears shed for joy and sorrow, of when I see the sparkle in your eye ...
    and the blackness when the dream dies, of lovers, fools, adventurers and kings while I sip my wine and contemplate the Chi.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,836 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Silence is golden, but the edit feature: Priceless.
  • Options

<< <i>At one time the Franklin Mint produced proof coins for other nations, including some of Martys' weenie coins! >>

Yeah, for a lot of the "island" countries. Don't get me wrong, they used to make a quality product but I equate them to collectors plates that you might see hanging on "grandmas" wall.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have MrEureka talk with him. I heard MrEureka has an opinion on Franklin Mint products.

Good idea!

More than 90% of FM products are pure crap and should be melted. However, the "good FM stuff" is one the greatest opportunities in numismatic investments. (See Cladking's comments, for starters.)

I'd suggest that your friend do some serious research before spending more money. When he understands the FM coinage better, he will be able to pick out the few issues that have a very bright future. Then, he should pursue the collection full steam ahead.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    You get several other numismatists to come over to your house and have an intervention.
  • Options
    HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I actually like some of the early Franklin mint issues as a means of accumulating a small position in silver. I confess to liking some of the early flag sets -- they contain about 100 ounces of silver, are quite attractive, have some historical interest, and sell for melt.
    Higashiyama
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,836 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    he can collect what he wants to

you are not his mother or his ruler

as long as he does not pay much over melt for the silver issues and does not consider it an investment and he uses money thst is discretionary income and he does it as he likes it for history and collecting

the old fashioned way to make money is to go out and work for it
  • Options

<< <i>he can collect what he wants to

as long as he does not pay much over melt for the silver issues and does not consider it an investment and he uses money thst is discretionary income and he does it as he likes it for history and collecting

the old fashioned way to make money is to go out and work for it >>

Maybe your Mother needs to teach you how to read better. As I stated in previous posts, he DOES consider it an investment.
  • Options
    I'm one of those morons that collect that kind of junk.
    It's all based on subjects such as buffalos,Lewis and Clark and Civil War.

I never expected to make money, it just pleases me to look at it.

Some of it has very high grade engraving. At least if the SHTF you've
    got something to buy bread with.

....Tony....

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ttt
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,410 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's nothing wrong with collecting Franklin Mint products as long as you don't pay more than melt value.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    DieClashDieClash Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭
    Another thread raised from the dead.

Actually some early Franklin Mint stuff is very collectible. I believe the Franklin Mint apex was during the late 70s & early 80s. They made more than just coins. I have a great bronze medalion calendar from 1977 and the artwork and engraving is exquisite. In the day, the Franklin Mint had some very talented artists, IMO.

"Please help us keep these boards professional and informative…. And fun." - DW
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BONGO HURTLES ALONG THE RAIN SODDEN HIGHWAY OF LIFE ON UNDERINFLATED BALD RETREAD TIRES
  • Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    I have a set of Franklin Mint Airline emblems- one of my favorites to look at.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So what is the "Good FM Stuff"?
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not telling! Don't let the cat out of the bag. Hint: see Cladking's note.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options

<< <i>So what is the "Good FM Stuff"? >>

There's a difference between collectible and investment grade. But, when I was a kid they produced an out of this world chess set. It was way too much for me to buy, but it would certainly qualify as "good" in my dictionary. And I expect it has retained its value. I have at least one other proof coin in non-precious metal, which may have no investment value, but certainly pwnds anything the mint has produced lately. I will try to image it and post it later this week.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BONGO HURTLES ALONG THE RAIN SODDEN HIGHWAY OF LIFE ON UNDERINFLATED BALD RETREAD TIRES
  • Options
    I agree telling him it's junk is the wrong approach. They have some beautiful pieces. He just needs to know that if he is only interested in collecting for a gain, the only gain will be what the price of melt is compared to what he paid, which may turn out to be a loss. Try talking to him about what you collect, and show him some examples. If he is only collecting for enjoyment then anything goes.
  • Options
    If he's buying the stuff for melt, no harm no foul. They made some vey nice stuff. There are more losers that winners from the US Mint.
    Andy
  • Options
    Don't Franklin Mint products come with "certificates of authenticity?", that should be enough to steer anyone away from whatever they sell.
  • Options

<< <i>While most Franklin Mint stuff is worth no more than its bullion value, the U.S. mint products are no panacea either when it comes to increasing or even holding their value. While some modern Proof sets are worth more, sometimes a lot more than their issue prices, some others have turned out to be losers. AND if I were a betting man, I’d say that some Proof sets will go down in value once the State Quarter program ends a couple years from now.

People are free to collect whatever they like provided that it’s legal to own it. And now that the Franklin Mint marketing blitz is over, a lot of the stuff can be purchased for around melt if you look for it at the shows. In a way your friend would be betting on the future price of silver if he starts “investing” in Franklin Mint.

Still you could tell him that most Franklin Mint items have no large collector following, and most of the stuff is only with melt. If he still wants it after you tell him that, he should be free to buy what he wants. >>

Well said!!

JT
    It is health that is real wealth, not pieces of gold and silver. Gandhi.

I collect all 20th century series except gold including those series that ended there.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,410 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Don't Franklin Mint products come with "certificates of authenticity?", that should be enough to steer anyone away from whatever they sell. >>

Don't US Mint products come with COA's? So, what's your point?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
    << How do you tell a friend NOT to collect Franklin Mint products? >>

Hey bud, don't collect Franklin Mint products.
  • Options
    JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭

<< <i>he can collect what he wants to

the old fashioned way to make money is to go out and work for it >>

Collecting is a very personal hobby and often emotional. Most FM products today will not be prices ridiculously and therefore collecting what he wants is paramount.

I have often stated that the most important quality that a collector can have is enthusiasm for his collection.

Investment is another story. It is speculative to invest in any collectible item including numismatics, unless you are very sophisticated. Anyone who thinks that collectible investments are the same as liquid investments, such as bullion, stocks, or CD's is in for a shock.

Collectible investments are extremely sophisticated!

Long live the serious numismatist as he will almost certainly have superior financial results than will the speculative investor!!

PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've never been a fan of Franklin Mint stuff, but I see no reason why someone couldn't assemble an impressive collection that he or she could enjoy.

As Julian points out, the premiums aren't going to hurt him and in this environment buying FM stuff at low premiums could very well be a good move from an investment standpoint.

And if he gets lonely, he can always visit the Precious Metals Forum. Alot of people seem to be into bars right now, and there would be plenty of common interest.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    It's a safe bet that if the price of silver continues upward a lot of the medals
    that he Franklin Mint made will be destroyed. No doubt these are already
    starting to show up in the melting pot.

You can wait until most are already gone and see if you can find any for sale
    or start looking now when they are actually available.

We think of the many silver coins they made as being distressinly common
    since mintages often approached and even exceeded 10,000. But some of
    these had "circulating" counterparts and time has not always been kind to
    these sets. To date the attrition hasn't been high on the sets except for a
    few of the silver coins but this will be changing as well if silver continues high-
    er. Large numbers of these sets will be broken up to melt the silver and many
    of the other coins in the set will be mishandled. While a few thousand sets
    are ample today how long will it be until the few remaining sets are somewhat
    less than ample. Remember mintages are sometimes only in the hundreds
    with these. Quality tends to be exceedingly good. They used the best artists
    and coiners and put effort into packaging and marketing as well.

These are great collectibles and great collectibles often have a way of turning
    into the greatest investments. I'd just tell my friend to go into it with his eyes
    open with the knowledge that current demand is even lower that the often
    tiny mintages. Look at the gold and the circulating coins. Look at the medals
    and especially those made in smaller numbers. Watch what's getting melted
    and be careful about paying significant premiums.

The best bet might be to just wish him good luck. At least that way if he's highly
    successfull you won't feel as bad about missing out. image
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    Q: How do you tell a friend NOT to collect Franklin Mint products?

A: a wallop in the cranio-cervical junction with a fungo bat ought to convince them.
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Don't Franklin Mint products come with "certificates of authenticity?", that should be enough to steer anyone away from whatever they sell. >>

Don't US Mint products come with COA's? So, what's your point? >>

I was trying to be amusing, I guess I missed the mark. My point is that most of their stuff is tasteless crap, made to be sold to the naive, like limited edition collector dolls, or John Wayne Bowie knives, however if you like it, have a ball!!!
  • Options

<< <i>

I was trying to be amusing, I guess I missed the mark. My point is that most of their stuff is tasteless crap, made to be sold to the naive, like limited edition collector dolls, or John Wayne Bowie knives, however if you like it, have a ball!!! >>

This might apply to dolls or knives, I don't know.

But it hardly applies to superbly executed medallic sculpture in sterling silver.

It doesn't apply to all of the coinage either. The gold is my favorite but some
    of the silver and cu/ ni pieces are exquisite or otherwise desirable as well.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

I was trying to be amusing, I guess I missed the mark. My point is that most of their stuff is tasteless crap, made to be sold to the naive, like limited edition collector dolls, or John Wayne Bowie knives, however if you like it, have a ball!!! >>

This might apply to dolls or knives, I don't know.

But it hardly applies to superbly executed medallic sculpture in sterling silver.

It doesn't apply to all of the coinage either. The gold is my favorite but some
    of the silver and cu/ ni pieces are exquisite or otherwise desirable as well. >>

• Options
    YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220
    Another old thread dug up from the vault.. Franklin Mint? Are they still in business.. I see Mike Mizak on HSN selling old Franklin Mint stuff..image
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sit down with him at his house with his computer and show him what stuff sells for
    on Ebay and what they sell for at the Franklin Mint (apples to apples). Then explain
    that the FM has to cover their huge advertising, and staff and that just pushes the
    prices up beyond retail.

good luck,
    bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    Although the coins have not been made by them for at least 20 years and have already settled so are low and there is no longer therefore any overhead on prices paid, at least due to the factors listed.
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    I'm interested in buying FM silver ingots of all types.
  • Options
    a039a039 Posts: 1,546
    Craton, why did you dis Meltdown with this thread? image
  • Options
    1985 Panama proof set, courtesy of the Franklin Mint, without the huge 20 balboa sold for 265 on the 'bay this week. Not bad....

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file