Home Sports Talk
Options

Gonzaga

Did anyone see this game? They play their conference championship game at home, and it was one of the worst officiated games I ever saw. They won by 1 (they were favored by 12.5) thanks to the worst traveling call I've seen and were celebrating like they just won the national championship. I hope they get smoked in the 2nd or 3rd round of the tourney.

Comments

• Options
    They have squeaked by in a lot of close games. I don't see them going too far in the tourney.

You know who else has squeaked by in a lot of close games? Villanova. I'm not very bullish on them either. They need a bigger presence inside for the tourney.
  • Options
    meh Nova plays in the best conference in the country (and that's tough to say since I'm an ACC man). Gonzaga plays in the wack conference.
  • Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

<< <i>They have squeaked by in a lot of close games. I don't see them going too far in the tourney.

You know who else has squeaked by in a lot of close games? Villanova. I'm not very bullish on them either. They need a bigger presence inside for the tourney. >>

Being able to squeak by in close games is sometimes what takes teams to championships. If they are on the other side of that squeak they are weak hearted.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    The wack conference - image aptly named!

Yep, Gonzaga is going to get spanked again, as usual, in the tourney - but not before everyone marvels again about what a Cinderella story they are...it's getting old.
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    It must suck to see every other team you don't like as winning only because of poor officiating?

Conference games are always tough, even for top teams, as you know every team is gunning for you and are amped up as it's the underdog team's championship game every night.

• Options

<< <i>It must suck to see every other team you don't like as winning only because of poor officiating?

Conference games are always tough, even for top teams, as you know every team is gunning for you and are amped up as it's the underdog team's championship game every night. >>

Why must you always take a contrarian point-of-view so blindly? I stayed up late to see this left coast action and even the non-biased announcers were crying out for lowly 12-17 Loyola Marymount to win since they outplayed Gonzaga. Gonzaga has beaten 1 top 25 (barely) Michigan State team all season (other than gonzaga, there are no teams even close to top 25 in the wack 10, yet the zags can barely muster wins). The championship game was played at Gonzaga (aren’t most conference playoff games “neutral”) and the fans (98 % Gonzaga per the announcers) went nuts to see their 12.5 point favorites win by 1 at the hands of a controversial travel call. Do you even watch basketball?

• Options
    gonzaga is wack, LMU a team under .500 took them to the wire. USD took them to ot. Morrison is garbage and a dirty player. Can't wait till get gets owned in the nba.
  • Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭

<< <i>It must suck to see every other team you don't like as winning only because of poor officiating?

Conference games are always tough, even for top teams, as you know every team is gunning for you and are amped up as it's the underdog team's championship game every night. >>

Ax, from what I have seen you are the first one to jump on here and whine about poor officiating when your team loses or a NY team wins. Cant have it both ways buckaroo.
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    The media (read that ESPN) is totally in love with this Morrison kid......give ESPN half a chance and they can't resist blubbering their eyes out over the latest incantation of The Great White Hope and Morrison is it! Hell, the kid looks like he just stepped off the set of MTV's Real World........or Room Raiders....or Date My Mom!
  • Options

<< <i>

Ax, from what I have seen you are the first one to jump on here and whine about poor officiating when your team loses or a NY team wins. Cant have it both ways buckaroo. >>

No, never do I ever blame officiating for a team's winning or losing. To me, that's the surest sign of an upset fan...why don't you read the number of times I've shredded stalin over his blaming the officiating for the Bucs losing, or another team winning?

I think when you blame the officials, you are trying to either deflect praise from the team that won, or defend the team that lost - pure and simple.

And I am not trying to be contradictory, simply asking. This is the second thread I've seen you start where a team you dislike (Duke being the other) seems to win only because of officiating in their favor. Once is something, twice is a trend.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Ax, from what I have seen you are the first one to jump on here and whine about poor officiating when your team loses or a NY team wins. Cant have it both ways buckaroo. >>

No, never do I ever blame officiating for a team's winning or losing. To me, that's the surest sign of an upset fan...why don't you read the number of times I've shredded stalin over his blaming the officiating for the Bucs losing, or another team winning?

I think when you blame the officials, you are trying to either deflect praise from the team that won, or defend the team that lost - pure and simple.

And I am not trying to be contradictory, simply asking. This is the second thread I've seen you start where a team you dislike (Duke being the other) seems to win only because of officiating in their favor. Once is something, twice is a trend. >>

ax, werent you the first one whining after the super bowl about the officiating ?
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options

<< <i>
    ax, werent you the first one whining after the super bowl about the officiating ? >>

Absolutely I called the officiating as the reason the stealers won the game - but the Seahawks should have played better.

• Options
    you just got done saying you never blame officiating for a teams winning or losing, then you say you the officiating is the reason the Steelers won the game. Umm.......do you even need to explain that one further ?
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options

<< <i>you just got done saying you never blame officiating for a teams winning or losing, then you say you the officiating is the reason the Steelers won the game. Umm.......do you even need to explain that one further ? >>

The officiating absolutely helped the stealers win the game - but the seahawks dropping balls, making bad plays, committing penalties absolutely added to the mix too.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>you just got done saying you never blame officiating for a teams winning or losing, then you say you the officiating is the reason the Steelers won the game. Umm.......do you even need to explain that one further ? >>

The officiating absolutely helped the stealers win the game - but the seahawks dropping balls, making bad plays, committing penalties absolutely added to the mix too. >>

So let me get this straight....you NEVER ever blame officiating for a team winning or losing, EXCEPT when talking about this years super bowl ?
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options

<< <i> Absolutely I called the officiating as the reason the stealers won the game - but the Seahawks should have played better. >>

Officiating was the reason Gonzaga won, but LMU should have made that last-second layup.

<< <i>This is the second thread I've seen you start where a team you dislike (Duke being the other) seems to win only because of officiating in their favor. Once is something, twice is a trend. >>

Well I hate Duke, but in this case it's the sickly over-rated team playing in a crap conference, barely mustering wins type thing and that defines Gonzaga lately. (If you search, you'll see I also hate Boise State football for doing the same thing)

Did you even watch this game? Last night the announcers were chuckling when Morrison got away with shoving off an LMU player and another time driving to the hoop by planting an elbow in the defenders face. Sometimes they try to dress it up with expressions like "the refs are intimidated by him".
  • Options
    So would you say that Jordan getting away with pushing off on players, or Jerry Rice doing the same thing means they were only great players because they got away with it?

What about Maddux, consistently getting strikes a few inches off the plate?

In my opinion, I think it's wrong to claim that the only reason these players/teams/whatever are great because of officiating. Morrison is a great, great player (second to Reddick in the country). You obviously have an anti-Duke bias, fine (I hate the yankees...but I have no problem in stating a yankee like Ruth or Joe D was a great player).

• Options
    My buddy smokes da wacky stuff with Morrison.
    Am I speaking Chinese?

• Options

<< <i>So would you say that Jordan getting away with pushing off on players, or Jerry Rice doing the same thing means they were only great players because they got away with it?

What about Maddux, consistently getting strikes a few inches off the plate?

In my opinion, I think it's wrong to claim that the only reason these players/teams/whatever are great because of officiating. Morrison is a great, great player (second to Reddick in the country). You obviously have an anti-Duke bias, fine (I hate the yankees...but I have no problem in stating a yankee like Ruth or Joe D was a great player). >>

Stop trying to twist - of course they're good players, but it's still BS that they get an edge from the refs. What I said about Gonzaga last night was no worse than what you said about Pitt after the SB.

• Options

<< <i>
    Stop trying to twist - of course they're good players, but it's still BS that they get an edge from the refs. What I said about Gonzaga last night was no worse than what you said about Pitt after the SB. >>

I am not twisting, I am putting your posts into perspective is all.

When I see two allegations of players/teams only being great because of officiating, then I will call that out. And shouldn't great players get the benefit of the doubt?

Of course they should. I feel if your player/team/whatever did, your view on the matter would be radically different.

• Options

<< <i>And I am not trying to be contradictory, simply asking. This is the second thread I've seen you start where a team you dislike (Duke being the other) seems to win only because of officiating in their favor. Once is something, twice is a trend. >>

2,600+ posts spread out over 2 years, and a total of 3 threads created to talk about this stuff - yeah that's a real trend.

<< <i> Conference games are always tough, even for top teams, as you know every team is gunning for you and are amped up as it's the underdog team's championship game every night. >>

You're saying top teams don't play hard? This game was for all the marbles - Gonzaga played at home for a wack title and beat a 150 RPI team by 1 point.
  • Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    iamthegreatcornholio
    - Did you see the quote in this weeks SI about playing at Duke, "It's loud it's congested, and a lot of people are on top of you. It feels like the floor is moving - and like you're playing five-on-eight when you include the referees."

• Options

<< <i>
    You're saying top teams don't play hard? This game was for all the marbles - Gonzaga played at home for a wack title and beat a 150 RPI team by 1 point. >>

No, what I am saying is as the top team, you get your opponent's best game every single night. Doesn't matter the records, conference games are tough for every top team.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, what I am saying is as the top team, you get your opponent's best game every single night. Doesn't matter the records, conference games are tough for every top team.

I tend to agree, however, home games should give the top team an edge.

I already know that someone will bring up the Penn State- Illinois game. All I can say is I would rather see Illinois loose then and do well in the NCAA tournament.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.