Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Do any of you collect CURRENCY as well?

Just curious. Does only copper, silver and gold make it into your collections? How about some of the old currency notes like $20 Gold Certificate. I just bought 1953 $5 Silver certificate and $2 note because that's my birth year. I have alot of foreign currency but haven't added anything to it for a couple of years.

image Scottish Fold Gold

Comments

• Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't resist some vingettes of the obsolete/broken bank notes. I have a small collection started and they really look neat as a "scenes from pre-civil war America" set.
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    i love full sheets of civil war era obselete fractional currency
  • Options
    mozeppamozeppa Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭
    i got some fracs too...they're neat...full-o-history!
  • Options
    GeminiGemini Posts: 3,085
    I collect Large Size Notes, Long Island National Currency and have some Colonial Notes.
    A thing of beauty is a joy for ever
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really like lg notes, battleship notes inparticular.

Chris
    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    I only collect coins. Something about currency doesn't like me.
    16 Year Old YN
    Looking for Type Coins for my Dansco #7070....Got anything? PM me.

My Type Set Thread (In Progress)
  • Options
    Yes, I collect Atlanta star notes.
  • Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do any of us collect what?
    mirabela
  • Options
    JdurgJdurg Posts: 997
    If I come across a nice odd currency piece I'll add it to my collection, but I don't go out of my way for currency. (Though I do have a few stacks of $2 from each time they were printed starting from the 1976 year). When I heard that the $5, $10, and $20 bills were being re-designed I stashed away a copy of the old bills for posterity sake. I also hold onto star notes that I get out of circulation because it's always nice being able to tell a story to someone about what the star means.
    I collect the elements on the periodic table, and some coins. I have a complete Roosevelt set, and am putting together a set of coins from 1880.
  • Options
    jayboxxjayboxx Posts: 1,613 ✭✭
    I try to collect as much modern currency as I can.
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
  • Options
    SmallSizedGuySmallSizedGuy Posts: 503 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Yes, I collect Atlanta star notes. >>

Oh no! I have competition out there! LOL! I too chase Atlanta star notes!

Jim Hodgson

Collector of US Small Size currency, Atlanta FRNs, and Georgia nationals since 1977. Researcher of small size US type - seeking serial number data for all FRN star notes, Series 1928 to 1934-D. Life member SPMC.

• Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    I had a pretty complete set of fractional notes and some colonial currency along with my coins until they were summarily stolen 25 years ago. Fun stuff and place to go back to in the future. Too hot right now though.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    BaronVonBaughBaronVonBaugh Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭✭
    I have a mostly complete type set of fractional currency.
  • Options
    Besides early copper, I have also collected large notes for several years, but they are getting out of my price range.
    Gary
    We are always better off than we deserve. image
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    I have a few pieces, probably what true currency collectors would call worthless junk. Numismatic equivalent of a well worn silver Washington or wheat cent. While I have some interest, my numismatic want list is plenty long!
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I only collect US gold but a few years ago I picked up a National Gold Bank Note with the pile of gold coins portrayed on the back of the note.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Odds 'n ends that come in along with coins.
  • Options
    morgannut2morgannut2 Posts: 4,293
    I've been working on a type set of series 1864 Confederate Currency for 25 years. It's done better in many cases than my silver coins.image
    morgannut2
  • Options
    TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭
    Yes. I'm working on a $1 type set and a $1 error type set. I have a complete 1976 $2 regular & star note district set.
    PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • Options
    MichiganMichigan Posts: 4,942
    Yes indeed. It is a fast growing hobby and now that the slabbers have move in it is getting even more
    popular. Currency collectors like to deride coin dealers who jump in with money signs dancing in their
    head but not knowing anything about the field (various threads in the CU currency board section on that
    subject).

Anyway, it is a lot of fun but can be very expensive especially for the most popular large size US
    type notes, the Bisons, Indian Chief and Educational series have exploded in price so much over the
    past 10 years that many people are priced out of those areas, even in circulated condition.

One nice thing about currency is that it is very easy to mail both domestically and overseas in an envelope
    with nobody the wiser that there is anything of value inside. Sending it like a regular letter is easy.
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <-----------I like the notes with me on them

I also like the ones with buffalo (er, uh bison) and the educational notes.
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    I never thought about collecting currency, until I met C.E. Bullowa at the NY International at the waldorf. She is the sweetest woman you could ever wish to meet, and spent more than an hour going thru some seriously killer educational series notes, and explaining the various things to look for when buying currency, etc. She sold me about 5k worth of notes that I still have this day, its the only currency I ever bought, and due to the wonderful time I had with Catherine, will never sell.

she is HANDS DOWN in my book the greatest dealer i ever met

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    carlcarl Posts: 2,054
    Not really but if someone gives me a foreign monitary note I'll stick it in the pile at my safe deposit box. I did however, put aside a few bills that had a secretary of state signature I think that was the only one that was fired. If not true I'll someday just spend them.
    Carl
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I collect large denominations ($5000 - $10000), but I don't have any yet.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I collect large denominations ($5000 - $10000), but I don't have any yet. >>

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    slipgateslipgate Posts: 2,301 ✭✭
    I buy uncut sheets from the treasury once in awhile and leave them in the roll (tube) they came in. I have been trying to frame them for awhile and put them in the bar, they are great conversation pieces!
    My Registry Sets! PCGS Registry
  • Options
    MichiganMichigan Posts: 4,942

<< <i>

<< <i>I collect large denominations ($5000 - $10000), but I don't have any yet. >>

image >>

They are out there but will cost you some big money. The $5,000 note is scarcer than the $10,000
    but I think the $10,000 sells for more money most of the time.

They are often bought by wealthy non collectors who like to show them off to their friends.
    The notes are quite a conversation piece.
  • Options
    TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭
    I bought a book on currency last year and read thru it but have not purchased anything as of yet.....

Only things I have are a 57 $1 Silver Cert which I pulled out of circulation and a 1934 $10 note I pulled from circulation.....

Silver Cert & Gold Cert are interesting to me as well as civil war confederate money; one of these days.....
    Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • Options
    busco69busco69 Posts: 815 ✭✭
    Yes I love the old notes only have about 20 of the us ones and about 50 foreign ones.
    ''Coin collecting is the only hobby where you can spend all your money and still have some left''
  • Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got a binder full Here’s a few😁
    First $3 note is Ukrainian

And finally some “horse blankets

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭✭✭

We all collect "currency". The word "currency" is a synonym for "physical money". Coins are one form of currency; paper money is another form. A definition that is preserved on the "Continental currency" dollar coins - including a couple of mis-spellings of that word.

I do not know exactly when or how it happened, but at some time in the late 20th century, the meaning of the word "currency" shifted, and it became a synonym just for "paper money" - but only in America. Everywhere else in the English-speaking world, "currency" and "money" are still interchangeable.

I know it's not really relevant to the topic at hand, but what else are you going to do with a 16 year old necro-thread?

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    olympicsosolympicsos Posts: 698 ✭✭✭✭

I tried to do it but could never get really into it.

• Options
    FloridafacelifterFloridafacelifter Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was gifted this by a patient so I guess I do now!

• Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 27, 2022 7:58AM

yes i collect banknotes along with coins

Coins for sale at link below
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/TyJbuBJf37WZ2KT19

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

60 gold Bolivares (1955)
    2,006,000 paper Bolivares (2017)

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jfriedm56 said:
    A few older pieces of currency

That $1 Educational and the 1886 Martha Dollar have me drooling!!!

• Options
    Glen2022Glen2022 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭✭

A little. $10 gold cert, some WWII Hawaii and North Africa notes, a couple of funny back notes. I really like the graphics of some of the earlier notes. Why can't current paper money be as nice?

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do both coins and currency. At my last show currency outsold coins. I have a large inventory of graded currency many top pop.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just hang onto star notes. Nothing special.

• Options
    hfjacintohfjacinto Posts: 766 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    << I collect large denominations ($5000 - $10000), but I don't have any yet. >>

I actually know a collector that owned a $10000 bill but when he tried to buy a $5000 he felt it was too much to ask as it cost more than the $10000.

He ended completing a full type set of $20 large notes.

Majority of us are just not in that league, some of the notes discussed are 6 figures.

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

I started collecting currency in 1969.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file