Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

A Second PSA 8 1962 Topps is Graded and I got It!!!!

Wow--talk about the unexpected.

I was up in Amherst, Mass. watching the NCAA squash championships(my son plays for Dartmouth) and Brian calls me from
Ft. Washington and says a dealer has a 1962 Topps Don Landrum in psa 8 and would sell for the right price. Desperate to keep it off ebay, I gave Brian some price guidelines and ten minutes later got a call back saying I had won the card.

Turns out the dealer is someone I had known for over 15 years and was glad to sell it to an old friend.

Had Mike Baker take a look at the card and according to Brian he said it was a solid 8.. I have the card in my hand now--corners are virtually perfect, no snow as is so common on this, centering about 60/40 each way with a very slight tilt.

Needless to say, I am ecstatic--I had thought that this card would prohibit me from completing a 1960-68 run of Topps sets with every cvard psa 8 or better. Now down to 2 cards in 1962 and 1 in 1966, I am optimistic.

Thanks to Brian on this and a perfect submission of my 1725 cards.

Jim

Comments

• Options
    Dav:

Wishng you continued success!!

What year is your son at Dartmouth? My son is an '07 (Junior in our terminology) at Dartmouth.
  • Options
    DavalilloDavalillo Posts: 1,846 ✭✭
    DRS,

My son is also an '07.

Let me know your son's name(if you like) and I will ask my son Jim if he knows him.

Jim
  • Options
    Jim:

Sent you an emai
  • Options
    marinermariner Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭✭
    Congrats, Jim....that is truly a tough card.
    Don

Collect primarily 1959-1963 Topps Baseball
    set registry id Don Johnson Collection
    ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    Jim,
    Did you get the card from a dealer or collector??
    I love candy cards
  • Options
    Fletch,

Long-time dealer friend.
  • Options
    jim-

congrats on a monumental pick-up!
    so... how much might one expect to pay for a 1962 topps psa 8 "common" pop 2?
    are you down to one last card needed now?
    best wishes,

mark
  • Options
    Mark,

I thought it was two but I am down to 3 cards--

139 Babe Hits 60
    287 George Witt
    345 Chuck Schilling

Also for 1966, to complete my 1960-68 Topps set run I need

544 Cards Rookies

Jim
  • Options
    ironrangerironranger Posts: 167 ✭✭
    Congrats Jim! It's a great feeling when you finally get a card that you have been looking for for so long. Very happy for you!
  • Options
    Ironranger,

Thank you. When the pop is one and you don't have it, you begin to doubt whether you will ever get a chance to buy one. Which is why I was so excited when Brian called.

May be a long time before another appears--then again, maybe not.

Jim
  • Options
    BuccaneerBuccaneer Posts: 1,794 ✭✭
    How was it that one of only two PSA 8 of this card was sitting in a case at a regional show?
  • Options
    Steve,

It wasn't sitting in a case. A long-time dealer who was not displaying had it with him. I believe he was looking for me and someone referred him to Brian.

Jim
  • Options
    BuccaneerBuccaneer Posts: 1,794 ✭✭

<< <i>Steve,

It wasn't sitting in a case. A long-time dealer who was not displaying had it with him. I believe he was looking for me and someone referred him to Brian.

Jim >>

Understood. Very nice acquisition, Jim.
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Man, that is a cool short read. I gotta get me my personal card scout image

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    spacktrackspacktrack Posts: 1,084 ✭✭
    The last thing I expected to find at the Fort was a Landrum in PSA 8. I was chatting with a dealer who I've won a number of cards from on eBay. I let him know what cards I was looking for to complete some sets since I know he will grade commons as long as he has a buyer lined up. When we got to the 62 Topps list, I mentioned that I was looking for 3 cards in PSA 8. When I didn't name the Landrum, he said "You don't have the Landrum 8, do you?" I replied with "It's so rare I don't even count it." At that point he let me know that another dealer friend of his had just received the second 8. He called him up and I talked with him for a few minutes. I then called Jim and waited to hear back on price. A short time later, I met up with the seller again, inspected the card and sealed the deal.

I'm really glad I got involved with that first dealer talking about cards!

Brian
  • Options
    DaBigHurtDaBigHurt Posts: 1,066 ✭✭
    The chances are pretty good another PSA 8 Landrum will soon appear.

PSA 7 soon to be PSA 8?

In case the link dies, syzygy3.14 just bought a PSA 7. image

GO MARLINS! Home of the best fans in baseball!!
  • Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jim, Congrats on the Landrum!!! BTW, Your Mantle basic set is unreal. Thats something to be proud of!!!

Bob
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The chances are pretty good another PSA 8 Landrum will soon appear.

PSA 7 soon to be PSA 8?

In case the link dies, syzygy3.14 just bought a PSA 7. image >>

Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • Options
    BugOnTheRugBugOnTheRug Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭
    ........scan of Landrum PSA 7 now in archives...........
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭
    Jim
    Correct me if I am wrong? You are only 4 cards away in PSA 8 for a complete run of Topps sets from 60 to 68? Anyway that is still impressive , congratulations!

John
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    John,

That is correct. Actually should read PSA 8 or better as I probably have 700-800 PSA 9s and a few 10s sprinkled through the 60s sets.

Jim
  • Options
    shouldabeena10shouldabeena10 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭
    Jim,

Congrats on a tuff pickup!

Brian,

I saw a guy at the Fort show, talking frantically on a cell phone. He was crying, begging and pleading .. while windexing a dealers glass case and tap dancing all at the same time. Was that you, and was that part of the deal? image

DaBigHurt,

imageimage Keep us updated ... when the PSA 8 scan hits ebay imageimage

Mike
    "Vintage Football Cards" A private Facebook Group of 4000 members, for vintage football card trading, sales & auctions. https://facebook.com/groups/vintagefootball/
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Jim-

Great pickup on the Landrum. This obviously will continue to be one of the toughest cards from the 1960s to find in top grade. Glad it made its way to your set.

Cheers
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    The pop report for the 1962 Landrum is 4 PSA 8's and 1 PSA 9. Does anyone know were they added this morning ?
  • Options
    Thanks Marc.

Mike,

Part of the deal--I told Brian, do whatever you have to do.

DaBigHurt,

I thought you said that PSA spends 10 minutes grading each card and that they are infallible? Why then would a psa 7 Landrum come back as an 8 the next time?

Jim

• Options
    Don,

Right you are--just added 3 this morning to go from 1 to 4. That is kind of unbelievable?

Well, you live by the pops, you die by the pops. Lucky I paid a low price for the Landrum-ha!

Jim
  • Options

<< <i>
    DaBigHurt,

I thought you said that PSA spends 10 minutes grading each card and that they are infallible? Why then would a psa 7 Landrum come back as an 8 the next time?

Jim >>

Jim - the buyer of that card is frequently thought of as a 'card improver', and there is significantly history on these forums and elsewhere showing where that buyer purchases cards in PRO, PSA, GAI or other holders and then has them in higher-number PSA and GAI holders down the road. Makes a decent living off of such improvements, unfortunately, and seems to be good enough to get them through.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    Dav

Any chance the seller you bought it from knew the pop was going to go from 1 to 4 on Monday ? and has the PSA 9 been around for awhile or is that new.

and lastly congrats on getting closer on another set
  • Options
    Marc,

I was not aware of that.

Don,

The psa 9 has been around for awhile.

On whether the seller knew there were other 8s coming thats a good question and one I will ask him when he comes to my office for the check.

Jim
  • Options
    helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭

<< <i>The chances are pretty good another PSA 8 Landrum will soon appear.

PSA 7 soon to be PSA 8?

In case the link dies, syzygy3.14 just bought a PSA 7. image >>

More likely to become a PRO 10, I think.
    WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay
  • Options
    All,

It seems my post from a few weeks ago regarding my attempt to be the first 1962 baseball set (and perhaps last major post-war set) to be completed in all PSA 8s or better caused quite a raucous behind the scenes and had many people submitting their #323 Landrums (I have confirmation from two sources who approached me). And fortunately for me one of those sources was the guys at Mastro...so yes I now own 1 of the 4 Landrum PSA 8s! They said they would turnover rocks to help finish me in 8s or better and they came through in a big way...definately one of the perks of going with them! As many are aware, my set will be sold in their upcoming April auction. I am still amazed the pop jumped from 1 to 4 after not moving for about 2-3 years.

Don
  • Options
    Jim, congrats on getting one of the other Landrum PSA 8s. I went through a similar experience of networking/wild phone calls to get #350 Robinson from this set (also very tough). I kept thinking it would get lost in the mail until I had my hands on it.

Don
  • Options
    Amazing that Mastro has enough contacts through the hobby that they can basically just find a 1962 Topps Don Landrum PSA 8 without even thinking about it. Not surprising, but still amazing.
  • Options
    spacktrackspacktrack Posts: 1,084 ✭✭
    It is very amazing that the pop shot up in less than a month. I would assume that the Mastro card was a recently graded example and not the first PSA 8, but who knows for sure. I know the one I found was a newly graded card. The pop on Friday night was 2 which means that the other two PSA 8s were graded last week and reflected in this morning's update. Amazing that these cards were not graded sooner. Shocking as well that two weeks brings 3 new PSA 8s while previously 8 years had managed only one 8 and one 9.