Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Nolan Ryan vs Steve Carlton

Curious, a PSA 8 carlton rookie for 280 dollars while a PSA 8 Ryan rookie goes for 1400 dollars. What's up with the that?

Comments

• lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Ryan was more popular and I am sure he had/has a much larger following.

More demand = more money.

Matt
  • bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    I always felt the Carlton RC is incredibly undervalued.
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Well, my guess is 5000 K's and 7 no hitters lol who knows what makes one player more popular then another. I guess you could use the same comparison to a Mickey Mantle of any year vs. any other player. What makes Mickey the king of the hobby ? There are players with more HR'S, better lifetime batting average, more gold gloves, yadda yadda yadda, but still Mickey is the king. Supply and demand baby. Thats what drives card prices. For me, I grew up watching Carlton and N. Ryan when they were both in their primes. Nolan Ryan would flat excite me, I'd shell out my hard earned money just to go and watch him pitch. Don't know if I could say the same about Carlton, just wouldn't get as excited. Carlton seemed to me more like a junk ball pitcher, he was sure effective, don't get me wrong, and those goofy faces he made when he was on the mound was just plain annoying. But Nolan Ryan would put the fear of God in you. Like Reggie Jackson said about Nolan Ryan's fastball. " I like ice cream too, I just don't like it jammed down my throat ".

I loved that commercial where an old Nolan Ryan was pitching BP to the high school boys and he says " they're all out to prove they can hit the " Ryan Express " and I'm out to prove they can't ". Then he blows one by this kid and you hear this " whoommp " in the catchers mitt and Ryan says " I love that sound ". Thats a classic. That pretty much sums it up for me. Don't imagine there are many high school kids that dream about connecting with one of Carlton's junk pitches lol
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,395 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One sports reporter called Steve Carlton a "premier jerk."

I don't think fans liked him very much either.

Media and fan disfavorite? Not exactly a formula for hi demand.

I remember his card was once around 600$ in PSA 8.

BTW, he has made great strides in changing him image. He was at a signing in a mall last year and people found him to be more engaging.

mike
    Mike
  • I've noticed the same as Mike. His reputation with the public has always been damper on his popularity. Who knows, 40 years from now maybe he'll be appreciated like the cranks from the deadball era.

Nick
  • dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭
    With all due respect to the great lefty Carlton, I think the answer to this question is obvious. We're talking Nolan Ryan and Steve Carlton... Ryan is in a class all by himself.
    image...There's always time for coin collecting. image
  • julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    steve carlton hated the jew....

nolan ryan didn't.

jk

Julen
    RIP GURU
  • fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭
    Steve Did not post the No Hitters as did Ryan and have as many strikeouts and was not media friendly however he was every bit as talented.Since retirement he has become much more media freindly.In my opinion the third best lefthander in post world war II times behind Spahn and Koufax.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • jad22jad22 Posts: 535 ✭✭
    Just looking at the stats, Ryan lost a ton of games. Carlton played on some terrible teams but he always had respectable numbers till the end of his career.
  • theczartheczar Posts: 1,590 ✭✭
    TIME TO STIR THE POT....

Well let's go counterpoint. In my humble opinion there are certain people that get passes with the media because of their good old boy attitude. Jim Rice, Eddie Murray, Steve Carlton are jerks. Joe Namath never won a playoff game after Super Bowl III and had a 50.1 completion rating. He threw 220 interceptions vs. 173 Touchdowns. If he had played any where but New York he would be a trivia question, Lynn Swann (over 50 receptions in a season one time) and John Stallworth don't have near the stats of Art Monk but because they were part of a great team they are HOFers. Ditto for Terry Bradshaw who had 212 TD passes against 210 inteceptions and a 51.9 completion %. These are not opinions these are FACTS.
    Brett Favre until this year was teflon. He threw half-witted passes and he was a "gutty warrior, doing what it took to win." If Aaron made those plays he would be blasted. Favre lays down to give Strahan the sack record and it's a big yuk. Anyone else and it a disgrace. Even last season Favre showed his selfishness as his team is getting pounded it was all about his sacred start streak.

Were these players bad-NO. They were very good. But not as good as statistics point out.

Steve Carlton won four CY Youngs. One season he won 27 games on a team that won 57 total. He had a 5 more wins than Ryan and 48 less loses. Ryan was a freak show. A man who could keep throwing had until his late 40's.

If Carlton had a fault it was hanging on too long. He went 16-37 his last four seasons. If I wanted to see a no-hitter or a 15 strikeout game Ryan was my pitcher. If I had to win game 7 of the World Series there is no question I would take Carlton.
    meant to say Aaron Brooks.
  • jad22jad22 Posts: 535 ✭✭
    joe namath is one of the most overrated people of all time. his numbers are weak but he made me laugh a couple of years ago, "Can I kiss you." JN
    joe namath is one of the most overrated people of all time. his numbers are weak but he made me laugh a couple of years ago, "Can I kiss you." JN

at that time I felt sorry for him. He had an alcohol problem and did what he could to clean himself up. Hopefully he can stay sober.

Most of you know that Broadway Joe was also drafted by Bill Bidwell of the St. Louis football Cardinals when the AFL and NFL had a common draft. He chose the New York. Lucky for him, because he would have sat on the bench behing Jim Hart.
  • julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    joe namath is a pimp P-I-M-P.

he tried to kiss sideline espn analyst (suzie ?) during a monday night football game.

how he is in HOF and ken stabler isn't, still bafflez my brain???

Julen
    RIP GURU
  • gonzergonzer Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well put Czar. image
  • Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If Carlton had a fault it was hanging on too long. He went 16-37 his last four seasons. If I wanted to see a no-hitter or a 15 strikeout game Ryan was my pitcher. If I had to win game 7 of the World Series there is no question I would take Carlton. >>

Yep. I mentioned this same thing in a previous thread about Tom Seaver. The thing with pitchers is that people then to remember the last image they had of them before they retired, not all the achievements from previous seasons. If they went out on top or very strong like Koufax and Ryan, people will love them for years. If the last thing people remember was how much of a bum the guy was towards the end, he tends to be forgotten. In Carlton's case, he was horrible his last two years. His very last year was just flat out embarrassing and he was tossed from team to team for peanuts. I've never seen anyone traded so many times over the span of 1.5 seasons in my life. You just didn't want to see the guy any more.

Speaking for myself, I was a big fan. Had a beautiful Carlton rookie that would have graded PSA 9 today if it was not stolen from me when my house was broken into.
  • I remember as a young teenager watching the Reds at Philles. Carlton vs. Seaver, it was a pitchers dual late in the game when Carlton took Seaver yard. My brother was a big Reds fan so I liked everybody that the Reds were playing. Carlton was my favorite pitcher from that moment on. Here are a couple of items from my Carlton collection.

• shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭✭
    Nolan Ryan was more intimidating. Steve Carlton was better overall though IMO. And his rookie card, as someone mentioned earlier, is EXTREMELY undervalued. A 9 ended for $540 in Mastro's auction. That's like a bag of peanuts next to a Ryan 9, which is way overpriced considering the pop.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
    A 9 ended for $540 in Mastro's auction. That's like a bag of peanuts next to a Ryan 9, which is way overpriced considering the pop.

shagrotn i was on that carlton but got outbid. i had too much invested in other cards at mastro or i would given one more bid.

you are so right about those 1968's. i don't why but there are so many more high grade cards in that set than any other cards in that era.
    there is a card in that set that has 60 psa 10's. not knocking those who collect it but it is not extremely difficult.
    I was just over at Mastro's. I saw a PSA 9 Carlton end at $472 back in Feb. Heck, I knew about it, I would have bid on it.
  • dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nolan Ryan is one of my favorite players ever; I switched allegiance from one team to another as I followed Ryan through his career; I went outside in the rain when we lost power once trying to find a spot where I could pick up on my cheap radio the game where Ryan was in the 7th inning of a no-hitter (Reggie Jackson broke it up in the ninth); I had posters of him on my wall and every one of his baseball cards.

Steve Carlton was a jerk, I mostly ignored him and his career, and.....he was a better pitcher than Nolan Ryan.

I thought of him, and still do, much like John McEnroe or Barry Bonds. Yes, he's a fine player, but why on Earth would I root for him?
    This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • stevekstevek Posts: 28,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No question Steve Carlton was a better pitcher than Nolan Ryan. But that's like saying one fine wine is better than the other fine wine.
    who was the only player to get six hits off of nolan ryan in one game?

robin ventura!
  • Ryans career winning percentage isn't all that impressive. I think the 1968 Ryan is overvalued.

<< <i>who was the only player to get six hits off of nolan ryan in one game?

robin ventura! >>

LOL. For a second there, I thought you meant who was the player who GOT hit six times by Nolan Ryan in a game image