POLL: Gold vs. Silver vs. Platinum

flaminioflaminio Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭

As of March 3, 2006:

One ounce of Gold = $565.80
Fifty ounces of Silver = $509.00
One half ounce of Platinum = $524.50

UPDATE: As of April 17, 2006 (Tax Day!)

One ounce of Gold = $617.70 (+9.2%)
Fifty ounces of Silver = $683.00 (+34.2%)
One half ounce of Platinum = $547.00 (+4.3%)

COMMENT: Can't complain about any of the gains, but silver is the clear champion so far.

UPDATE: August 31, 2006 (Four months to go)

One ounce of Gold = $625.60
Fifty ounces of Silver = $643.50
One half ounce of Platinum = $618.00

COMMENT: Silver's still in the lead, but its margin has shrinked. Could be a photo-finish...

UPDATE: October 5, 2006

One ounce of Gold = $570.30
Fifty ounces of Silver = $551.00
One half ounce of Platinum = $536.50

COMMENT: My, how the mighty have fallen...

Comments

• Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,267 ✭✭✭
    I went with platinum, but only because I think the other two have been driven up by hype.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • SlangNRoxSlangNRox Posts: 774 ✭✭
    I went with silver. Its hard to bet against 50oz when the other 2 choices are only 1/2 and 1oz.
  • silver>platinum>gold

the fundimentals support silver and platinum, while there is billions of ounces of gold above ground that does not get consumed and just sits there. There is probably more or about the same amount of above ground gold as silver. Rhodium is a good example of a metal with no demand that suddenly gets demand. I see silver's future as moves like rhodium, which has gone from $450 a few years ago when I desperetely was looking for some to buy but couldn't find any, to over $3000, where it can now be found in tiny quantitys on ebay among other places.

if the crap hits the fan...

silver>gold>platinum

after all.. you aren't going to be bartering with one ounce gold and platinum coins and get your "money's worth" from them. Hard to get a loaf of bread with gold.. easy with silver. And platinum is not as easily recognized as a "precious metal"

all metals, base or precious, have more then doubled in the last few years, so it's hard to gauge future performance. Also, the price of silver is not controlled by the physical market, it's controlled by options trading/paper market, which dwarfs the physical market in sheer dollar amount. To an extent this is the case for all metals, but especially true for silver.

• ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    They all have their day, one gets out of sync with the others and it drives the prices of the ones under valued up. It just silvers turn for a change.
  • TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭
    SIlver, what else, Bob? 90%+ of your MS69 ANACS slabs are Silver........Go buy Silver Now!

imageimage

TorinoCobra71

• xbobxbob Posts: 1,979
    I'll go with the Gold.
    -Bob
    collections: Maryland related coins & exonumia, 7070 Type set, and Video Arcade Tokens.
    The Low Budget Y2K Registry Set
  • 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    Silver all the way. A big GAP to fill and the upside potential is much more dramatic than GOLD or PLATINUM.

With all the current market info in place - Silver ETF, etc......what would you most likely see - GOLD or PLAT double to 1200 and 2100 respectively??. Or silver double to 20? Not a doubt in my mind.

• roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For 2006 only? I don't think silver will catch up that quick. But in the next few years it will outperform all the others. Just don't think it will move that much in 2006.

My choice was not on that list:

ONE SHARE OF GOOG image

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • flaminioflaminio Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭

<< <i>ONE SHARE OF GOOG image >>

How do you feel about one share of GOOG vs. ten shares of EBAY vs. thirty shares of CLCT?
    (ttt) for the working crowd...
  • carlcarl Posts: 2,054
    I went with the Gold but with any metal it's really a tough bet. Even if there was a massive find in Gold somewhere, people would still want it Where as with Silver or even Platinum, if there was a massive new find I think the price would plumit like a rock. Just not as appealing for jewlry as Gold and that is what will always make Gold desireable. Now if you throw in Plutonium...........
    Carl

<< <i>Now if you throw in Plutonium........... >>

If you can point me to a website that provides reliable pricing data on Plutonium, I'll add it image.

<< <i>if the crap hits the fan...

silver>gold>platinum >>

If the crap really hits the fan...

food < water < ammunition
  • Gold hands down.

Silver is in a speculative bubble. I recall everyone saying silver would be in great demand as it's used in photography. With digital dominating imaging, silver has been obsolete for photography. What picked up the slack?

Silver seems so common, so pedestrian!

Buy gold!
  • jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭
    I bet on the GOLD image
    an SLQ and Ike dollars lover

<< <i>Silver seems so common, so pedestrian!

Buy gold! >>

If a 34% gain is pedestrian, then walk all over me.

TTT.
  • kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where does one get an oz of rhodium!?
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.

• << <i>Where does one get an oz of rhodium!? >>

Personally, I wanted a one pound chunk of Americium. But the half life made it difficult to invest in....
  • Well since gold seems to be following silver this year, I voted silver.

• << <i>Gold hands down.

Silver is in a speculative bubble. I recall everyone saying silver would be in great demand as it's used in photography. With digital dominating imaging, silver has been obsolete for photography. What picked up the slack?

Silver seems so common, so pedestrian!

Buy gold! >>

Nano silver particles for medicine infection controls, clean rooms, antibacterial applications, space engineering will also bypass the amount that was used in old style photography. Used in many applications here at work
    UCSB Electrical Engineering....... USCG and NASA
  • I voted for gold today. It looks like the ratios are different now from when everybody else voted. Sorry if I messed up the poll. image
  • TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭
    One Ounce Of GOLD!!!

TC71

"All That Glitters"

<< <i>I voted for gold today. It looks like the ratios are different now from when everybody else voted. Sorry if I messed up the poll. image >>

No worries, late votes are OK...
  • silver
  • BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    I voted Silver,

It is much more volitile and has more chance for short term gains.
  • I am going with the gold. Due to the rapid increase of silver comapred to the others this year, silver has the most room for corection. I think gold will hold around current levels for now and platinum will probably also, JMO.

Zach
  • silver market is so thinly traded and can get the legs knocked out much quicker tha gold..go long until it's time to go short!!!! (profound) and it looks time to go short silver long platinum and pallladium and accumulate gold with your fun money in interesting forms
  • JdurgJdurg Posts: 997

<< <i>

<< <i>Where does one get an oz of rhodium!? >>

Personally, I wanted a one pound chunk of Americium. But the half life made it difficult to invest in.... >>

One can get a full ounce of rhodium metal from ElementSales.com, though it will need to be a special order. If you have the funds to purchase multiple ounces of rhodium, you can buy it in bulk for a pretty decent price through any of the dozens of online metals traders. I was VERY happy that I purchased my rhodium when it was just starting to move upwards. I picked up a 10-gram button of it for about $200. That 10-gram button is now worth over $1,000. Rhodium is really pretty unremarkable. It's INCREDIBLY reflective and doesn't tarnish at all, but it's not very dense so the ten-grams is a decent looking chunk. It's a lot like a much brighter silver.

I collect the elements on the periodic table, and some coins. I have a complete Roosevelt set, and am putting together a set of coins from 1880.
    ttt
    It's December 31st, and here are your final results for this poll:

One Ounce of Gold: $636.00

Fifty Ounces of Silver: $642.50

Half Ounce of Platinum: $566.50

Silver wins! Congrats to the 78 folk who voted for it.
  • STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    I guess I cheated waiting till today to vote.

Whoops, must have missed this thread.

<< <i>I guess I cheated waiting till today to vote. >>

LOL! You're not the only one image. No worries image.
    I voted Gold and still stand by it. I didn't see where this was a poll that went to Dec. 31st 2007. If the ecomony goes bad silver demand will go down but will still have decent gains as a hedge.image
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like platinum better, but in all honesty the gold market is much larger, much more liquid and gold can be much more readily exchanged, so the nod goes to gold.

The gold, silver and platinum markets usually move in tandem, but not always.

Silver, IMO has the greatest short and middle term upside potential, but platinum could be a sleeper. Silver is still historically undervalued and platinum industrial demand is probably not going to shrink much any time soon.

Gold has "safe haven in times of economic and social uncertainty" written all over it. The central banks continue to play a major shell game with our markets, economy and currency. Who knows how long they will keep it together? But back in 1978 who knew then either?
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • I see silver with the greatest long term upside potential, because of the industrialization of nations like china and india, the use of silver in electronics and computers continues to increase.. that will more then offset any decline from photography. It remains to be seen how much silver is left above ground, but one things for sure, it continues to be "consumed" at a pretty steady and increasing rate. Plus it has a relatively inelastic supply and demand curve... it would take large increases in price to free up most of the above ground silver out there, but the amount of it used per application is so small that people won't stop using it if it goes up in price.

I see silver as an undiscovered small cap growth stock.. I see gold as a well known and appreciated large cap stock... each has it's uses and both are good to have.

Commodities that actually are consumed get better price action though... say what you want about nickel, zinc, oil, copper, and uranium... they all outperformed gold and silver.

<< <i>I see silver with the greatest long term upside potential, because of the industrialization of nations like china and india, the use of silver in electronics and computers continues to increase.. that will more then offset any decline from photography. It remains to be seen how much silver is left above ground, but one things for sure, it continues to be "consumed" at a pretty steady and increasing rate. Plus it has a relatively inelastic supply and demand curve... it would take large increases in price to free up most of the above ground silver out there, but the amount of it used per application is so small that people won't stop using it if it goes up in price.

I see silver as an undiscovered small cap growth stock.. I see gold as a well known and appreciated large cap stock... each has it's uses and both are good to have.

Commodities that actually are consumed get better price action though... say what you want about nickel, zinc, oil, copper, and uranium... they all outperformed gold and silver. >>

Yes your right ... that is until the Golbal depression coming reduces it's demand.image
  • Yup, when the "crap hits the fan" the Amway people will finally cash in because they're the ones who've got garages full of soap and shampoo. I mean, if you're really talking about a disruption of civilization.

I'd stock food, water, ammo, coffee (Starbucks quality) and cigarettes.

I read that in the early days of our occupation of Japan after WWII ended a person with cigs could trade them for gold.

<< <i>

silver>gold>platinum >>

food < water < ammunition >>

Anyone can make a difference, but most people probably shouldn't. -- Marge Simpson

<< <i>Yup, when the "crap hits the fan" the Amway people will finally cash in because they're the ones who've got garages full of soap and shampoo. I mean, if you're really talking about a disruption of civilization.

I read that in the early days of our occupation of Japan after WWII ended a person with cigs could trade them for gold.

<< <i>

silver>gold>platinum >>

>>

No I'm taking about a depression like the 30's not the end of the world here. Most people don't seem to realize what most of us are saying.image
  • Got it. So, do you mean hyperinflation or some sort of disruption of the financial systems that leaves untold millions with no money and no jobs? What sort of scenario are you think of, just out of curiosity?

<< <i>No I'm taking about a depression like the 30's not the end of the world here. Most people don't seem to realize what most of us are saying.image >>

Anyone can make a difference, but most people probably shouldn't. -- Marge Simpson
    It would be somewhat different than the 30's where there was little (no) money. This time around ther're be plenty of wothless money and may take a boat load to buy something.
  • So, hyperinflation it is.

Or, the dollar loses its status as the world standard to some other currency and other nations dump dollars?

<< <i>Got it. So, do you mean hyperinflation or some sort of disruption of the financial systems that leaves untold millions with no money and no jobs? What sort of scenario are you think of, just out of curiosity?

Well I don't know how it will play out but since all money in the global ecomony isn't backed by anything anymore it maybe the whole system is scrapped in favor of going back to a Gold/Silver standard. Some countries are already considering their money to be backed by gold.
  • Well, the scenario that motivates your interest in metals is very different from mine, not that yours couldn't happen.

I envision the continued growth of the middle class in India and China driving up global demand for precious metals for jewelry and electronics. I just see the current trend continuing, with a possible currency value shock coming from global divestment in dollars or a new cycle of inflation.

<< <i>Well I don't know how it will play out but since all money in the global ecomony isn't backed by anything anymore it maybe the whole system is scrapped in favor of going back to a Gold/Silver standard. Some countries are already considering their money to be backed by gold. >>

• I forgot all about this - thanks for the TTT. Silver I guessed, and Silver it is. What do we win?????image

<< <i>Well, the scenario that motivates your interest in metals is very different from mine, not that yours couldn't happen.

I envision the continued growth of the middle class in India and China driving up global demand for precious metals for jewelry and electronics. I just see the current trend continuing, with a possible currency value shock coming from global divestment in dollars or a new cycle of inflation.

<< <i>Well I don't know how it will play out but since all money in the global ecomony isn't backed by anything anymore it maybe the whole system is scrapped in favor of going back to a Gold/Silver standard. Some countries are already considering their money to be backed by gold. >>

>>

And I do agree, see the big thread on Gold and you'll see I mention the growing middle classes in India and China. The problem is I don't think there's enough time before we go into a depression.

India and China have a huge growing middle class but since only the big cities have electric, water, and commutations that leaves most of their people out of buying the present products they produce or in India’s case the growing "phone rooms" and IT services. I think they'll have to improve their
    infrastructures first and re-tool what is being produced for their countries. A global meltdown will certainly speed this process up.
  • GemineyeGemineye Posts: 5,374

<< <i>Yup, when the "crap hits the fan" the Amway people will finally cash in because they're the ones who've got garages full of soap and shampoo. I mean, if you're really talking about a disruption of civilization.

<< <i>

silver>gold>platinum >>

>>

Wow.....I'm gonna stock my garage with toilet paper.......!!!!!!....Sell 'em by the sheet......
    ......Larry........image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file