Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Mega-Submission is on its Way

Well, after a year of not submitting any of my raw sets, I will make up for it tomorrow. Brian will deliver my submission of 1725 vintage or semi-vintage cards to PSA at Ft. Washington. Hey, at $2.50 per card how can you go wrong.

Anyway, the submission features 10 Kahn's sets from the 60s(8 baseball, 2 football).

In Football, there should be enough to make me much more competitive in the Olympics with a large chunk of the following sets--68 Topps, 65 Philadelphia, 67 Philadelphia, 61 Fleer, 63 Topps CFL, 60 Topps CFL, 51 Topps Magic, 68 Topps Teams,62 Kahns and 64 Kahns.

In Baseball, I am submitting complete Kahns sets from 61,62,64,65,66,67,68 and 69. Also in baseball submitted are a handful of 1921 American Caramels, 1952 Berk Ross, 1967 Red Sox and Pirates stickers, 1969 and 1974 Deckle Edge, 1952 Num Nums, and 1970 Topps Super.

In Hockey are major groupings of cards from the 1957-58 Topps, 1959-60 Topps, 61-62 Topps, 63-64 Topps, and 65-66 Topps.

In multi-sport in the 1954 Sports Oddities set.

In non-sports is 1957 Hit Stars complete and 1962 Civil War News(have to have a set that Frank collects that he can help me with).

Lastly a sprinkling of FB HOF's from the 1970s.

In case I get stuck on my way to 100 sets, this should throw enough into the mix to push things along.

Good luck to everyone at Ft. Washington. sell Brian some good cards.

Dav

Comments

• Options
    tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    Good luck with the submission. Sounds like you will be submitting nicer stuff than some dealers will have on their tables!
  • Options
    DavalilloDavalillo Posts: 1,846 ✭✭
    Probably most dealers.
  • Options
    tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    Post your results when they come in. I'd love to see them!
  • Options
    SDavidSDavid Posts: 1,584 ✭✭
    $2.50 per card? I knew they offered bulk deals, but I didn't know they'd go that low.
  • Options
    Nice..... if it takes an average of 10 minutes to look at each card, that's over 285 man hours you just tied up.image

Cheers! Wick

Enjoy collecting vintage baseball cards, memorabilia and autos
  • Options
    MantlefanMantlefan Posts: 1,079 ✭✭
    Great deal....what's the turnover time?
    Frank

Always looking for 1957 Topps BB in PSA 9!
  • Options
    BugOnTheRugBugOnTheRug Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭
    1725 hardly qualifies as a 'mega' submission, although the range of cards you're including is quite impressive to say the least. But there must be a typo or something else we don't know about to have ALL those cards, and I'm sure stars, HOF'ers, etc. graded at $2.50 per.

PSA can't make any money at $2.50 per card, let alone grading these vintage sets. I'll guess that you agreed to complete 200 sets, all in PSA 8 or better by 2012, and this is the kickoff.
  • Options
    OnlypsahockeyOnlypsahockey Posts: 1,479 ✭✭
    1725 hardly qualifies as a 'mega' submission

Seems pretty mega to me considering he's a collector not a dealer.

Dav, Please let us know how you make out. I'm working on 3 of the hockey sets you mentioned. 57, 61 & 63. The 63's are killers.

I hope the graders figure the large sub. is from DSL and you get their great results! image

Best of luck, Bob C.

57 Topps (83%) 7.61
    61 Topps (100%) 7.96
    62 Parkhurst (100%) 8.70
    63 Topps (100%) 7.96
    63 York WB's (50%) 8.52
    68 Topps (39%) 8.54
    69 Topps (3%) 9.00
    69 OPC (83%) 8.21
    71 Topps (100%) 9.21 #1 A.T.F.
    72 Topps (100%) 9.39
    73 Topps (13%) 9.35
    74 OPC WHA (95%) 8.57
    75 Topps (50%) 9.23
    77 OPC WHA (86%) 8.62 #1 A.T.F.
    88 Topps (5%) 10.00
  • Options
    CON40CON40 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    Hmmmm.... what will happen to the cards that don't make your minimum grade of PSA 8? There's bound to be at least 100-200 in a submission that large that won't cut it.
  • Options
    spacktrackspacktrack Posts: 1,084 ✭✭
    I think Dav keeps all his self-submitted cards on the registry in sets until he upgrades them. It's my understanding that he won't buy a sub-PSA 8 to fill a hole (except for some cards), but he will enter the card if it came back in one of his submissions. 1725 PSA 8s would be amazing.
  • Options
    BugOnTheRugBugOnTheRug Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭
    Brian,
    The quality of raw he has must be amazing. It's one thing to buy already graded 8's from Any S. Ource, it's entirely another to tuck away like-new cards from yesteryear in yesteryear. Have you seen the raw sets and how do they compare those to what's out in the market in raw set form?
  • Options
    Some of the nicest raw I have seen has come out of Jim's basement.
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

Great stuff spacktrack.

Thank you for sharing. image

Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • Options
    Just in case anyone is taking me seriously on the $2.50, that is my sense of humor. I am not getting a $2.50 per card deal.

On the quality,all of the Kahns, 74 Deckle Edge, 70 Topps Super, 57 Hit Stars, 67 RS and Pirates stickers to name a few look beautiful across the board. Topps Magic and 69 Deckle Edge will be lower grade--most of the rest will probably be a mix with centering a huge issue on all of the hockey sets, civil war news, and some of the football material.

I bought just raw until 10 or so years ago. For example I think all my Kahns sets come from Alan Rosen--or at least most-I know the 74 Deckle Edge does as it has his card guards on them. When I get them back, the upgrading and filling in the holes process begins.

However, 10-20 years ago there was not quite the emphasis on centering there is today. So, many of my sets have some o/c cards.

Frank,

no timetable except that Joe promises to keep his graders nworking through the night to get them done.

Jim

• Options
    shouldabeena10shouldabeena10 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭
    Hey Brian,

If by some strange chance, a red mini van (with two guys dressed in Redskins garb) start slamming into back of your car on the Jersey Turnpike ... just throw the box of football cards out the window and I promise they'll back off. image

Hey Lillo,

If your cards do make it there image , make sure you e-mail me when your grades come in. I've got doubles on some of the '54 Quaker Sports Odd's, '51 Magic, '70 Topps Supers, and some of the '60 issues.

Mike

PS - You should submit your cancelled "$10,000 grading fee check" to PSA when you get it back. Have them slab it as an authentic Jim Crandall autographed check.
    "Vintage Football Cards" A private Facebook Group of 4000 members, for vintage football card trading, sales & auctions. https://facebook.com/groups/vintagefootball/
  • Options
    Mike,

That would be almost $6 per card!!!!!!!

Thanks for the offer--your cards look great in my collection...and you will be a guest of honor at the Lillopalooza(which will happen soon after I get my cards back)

Dav.
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭
    Jim
    Best of luck with your submissions! I couldn't imagine submitting that many cards!
    Brian
    On a submission that large do you have to fill out forms and put the sticker on the back?

John
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    WOW! i once had a 1000+ submission (mostly modern). it takes some time to prep, that is for sure.

i would love to be able to acquire such a vintage collection in gradeable condition. the vintage items i seem to run by are EX at best. good luck on the sub and keep us informed.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Jim-

I love some of those oddball baseball sets. The Kahn's sets are so wonderful looking when they are sharp and the colors are bright. Keep us in the loop as to your results.

~ms
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    Wow thats great thanks for telling!! Good Luck and a 1957 cimoli 9 just got listed on ebay!!
    Always Buying & Collecting 1957 Topps Baseball 1914 cj,s 1978 bb and any Hof bb
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,867 ✭✭✭
    Jim,
    That will be an exciting day to open that box. I sent off 1325 cards to PSA and was very pleased with the turnaround time. Joe was true to his word,......however I have the 1968 Topps Football team test set down there now and it has been way past the due date. By chance did you have slight to moderate staining on the back of your cards from this set? I graded my first set and received all "ST" on the cards which were mostly PSA 7/8s. I am hoping that the second set does not receive those qualifiers.
    I also am collecting the 67 Topps pirates sticker set and have 7 or so duplicates in PSA 8 if you need them. Just let me know.

Shane
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    Jim, if you were just joking about $2.50/card, what are you paying?
  • Options
    gaspipe26gaspipe26 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭
    Its great opening up those boxes on return. I submit alot but never had a 1700+ box, I think my highest might be 1200.
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,867 ✭✭✭
    Gaspipe-
    The most I have sent in is 1400 at a time, however they split the order in half once it got down to PSA. I did not understand why they would have done that until I got the box back from PSA. The mail carrier was not a very happy camper when they had to lug that 3x3 box up the stairs for delivery. He made some smart ass remark like, "thanks for the tip." I told him I was sorry and here is his tip.... you might want to wear a back brace next week. He said, "why?" I said another one was coming in five days.

Shane
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    Just got back from the Fort. It took roughly 80 minutes to drop the submission off at PSA. Each card had be to counted and each box had to be numbered. I was lucky to get in during dealer setup time and walk right up to PSA. I dealt with a great girl at the table (Kristin, I think but I didn't see her nametag) who was assisted by Carol and later by Lavar. We had to break the 1725 cards into four submissions: regular commons, tallboy commons, regular stars, and tallboy stars. Each will be processed differently and come back at different times.

Earlier the question was asked if each card had to be listed and stickered. What we did was fill out forms by lots of 100 and put them in boxes. While this made things easier for PSA, Carol said in the future we can use Excel to list all the cards and make it easier on us.

• Options
    ironrangerironranger Posts: 167 ✭✭
    Jim, good luck with your submission! Please post your grades when available!
  • Options
    Thanks to everyone for their warm wishes.

I will let everyone know the results.

Dav
  • Options
    gaspipe26gaspipe26 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭
    Well I got busy over the weekend and will have a decent size lot going out Monday. Not 1725 but a good sized lot around 500.