Home U.S. Coin Forum

ANR Auctions

Why is ANR having the auction before the official start of the Baltimore show. I think they would get more publicity (and perhaps more bids) if they held the auction that Thursday or Friday. Does anyone know why they chose to hold the auction before the start of Baltimore?
Nick

Comments

• ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭
    B&M is the official show auctioneer and they are scheduled during the show. They try to avoid schedule conflicts as it thins out the floor bidders.
  • chabot510chabot510 Posts: 1,291
    Why would you wnat to thin out the floor bidders though? Even if they held it at an alternate location (like right across the street in a hotel), I think it would make more sense.
    Nick
  • capecape Posts: 1,621
    i wondered this myself. but the way you have to look at this auction, i feel anr being the first auction with great consignments gets the first bidders! i feel they have a superior selection of coins and if you dont beleive this check out the bowers catalogue on line. this is my oppinion anyway!
    ed rodrigues
  • ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Why would you wnat to thin out the floor bidders though? Even if they held it at an alternate location (like right across the street in a hotel), I think it would make more sense. >>

They DON'T want to thin out the floor bidders. B&M pays for the right to be the 'official auctioneer of the Baltimore Show' and gets to hold the auction at the convention center during the show.

ANR is not the official auctioneer. They rent space at a hotel nearby and hold their auction before the show.

but why not hold it during the show? you can preview the lots to the public and perhaps attract more bids
    Nick
  • David Bowers had the Bowers and Merena Auction in the same hotel with the same room for long while (certainly 1999) back before he sold it. It was very popular because before the show, anyone could drive up to the Valet parking at the hotel, pick up a donut and coffee at the entrance shop, go up the escalator, get a number, walk in an bid. You had all week to stop by after work, or all day the day of the auction, to study the lots--and even ask Bowers question. The only people left out are retail bidders who have to travel too far just to go to the auction, but it's easy for East Coast buyers with an extra day or two, those with representation, and all dealers who want the coins for the show or to give to their clients later at the show. It's MUCH easier/safer than the Convention Center to get to!!
    morgannut2
  • ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭

<< <i>but why not hold it during the show? you can preview the lots to the public and perhaps attract more bids >>

I give up.
  • WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Why is ANR having the auction before the official start of the Baltimore show. I think they would get more publicity (and perhaps more bids) if they held the auction that Thursday or Friday. Does anyone know why they chose to hold the auction before the start of Baltimore? >>

Bowers and Merena Auctions is the official auctioneer of the Baltimore Coin Show. ANR is not allowed to hold an auction during the same time as the Baltimore show.

It is not good for the auction companies to hold seperate auctions at the same time in conflict with each other. Doing so would decrease the number of attendees for both auctions and decrease the number of potential buyers. A direct conflict would also create "bad blood" with one another, which would be a negative for both companies.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
    Are there certain stipulations that say they can not have an auction at the same time. It seems like if they wanted an auction at the same time that they could.
    Nick

<< <i>Are there certain stipulations that say they can not have an auction at the same time. It seems like if they wanted an auction at the same time that they could. >>

They could, but neither would want to do so. It would be bad for both companies.
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
    It just seems that it would make more sense to hold the auction during the show. I assume they could find a time that is agreeable between both companies. Just doesnt make a whole lot of sense to me to hold an auction before one of the bigger shows of the year.
    Nick
  • elwoodelwood Posts: 2,414

<< <i>Just doesnt make a whole lot of sense to me to hold an auction before one of the bigger shows of the year. >>

They do it at all the major shows...FUN, Long Beach, ANA, Baltimore.
    It's also better for the consignors if they don't overlap.
    Please visit my website prehistoricamerica.com www.visitiowa.org/pinecreekcabins
  • krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭

<< <i> I assume they could find a time that is agreeable between both companies. >>

I doubt there would be ANY time agreeable to B&M, since they PAID to be the official auctioneer of the show, and would have no interest in another auction company siphoning off their bidders.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

<< <i>It just seems that it would make more sense to hold the auction during the show. I assume they could find a time that is agreeable between both companies. Just doesnt make a whole lot of sense to me to hold an auction before one of the bigger shows of the year. >>

The official auctioneer of the show that is taking place definitely does not want to accomodate another company in sharing the opportunity to have overlapping sessions especially when the official auctioneer designation is a paid endorsement.

It makes a lot of sense to hold an auction before the major shows. Collectors and dealers alike tend to have more money to spend before a show than after a show.
  • OK, I give up--It would in fact be easier to have everyone at the show and possiblly the B/M Auction while I get bargin after bargin in the near empty ANR auction. Fine with me!! image
    morgannut2
  • lloydmincylloydmincy Posts: 1,861
    Chabot510:

Superior and others many a times have the auctions BEFORE THE SHOWS. Why? Most are DEALERS that buy coins at the auctions. These "early" auctions gives the dealers inventory for the shows. They are not worried about the tire-kicker collectors they will be missing. The real collectors, big time ones, will participate in the auction, no matter when it is.
    The Accumulator - Dark Lloyd of the Sith

<< <i>Chabot510:

Superior and others many a times have the auctions BEFORE THE SHOWS. Why? Most are DEALERS that buy coins at the auctions. These "early" auctions gives the dealers inventory for the shows. They are not worried about the tire-kicker collectors they will be missing. The real collectors, big time ones, will participate in the auction, no matter when it is. >>

That is very true. It would not matter when or where an auction is held. As long as the material is superior dealers and serious collectors will make time and find a way to attend that auction.
  • The fact is for every major convention, namely FUN, both the ANA's, Baltimore, the long beach conventions, to a lesser degree santa clara (these are the majors), there is an official auctioneer who pays for the right to be the official. The fact is that it doesnt make that much of a difference being the official or not, as if the auction houses have good property, you can have the auction in a garage and still get good prices. The fact is that the official auctioneer tag is used as a marketing ploy by the houses to GET consignments, but it has no effect on who turns up to buy, as the quality of the coins ALWAYS dictates that. PS, no one ever has auctions after the official auctioneer does as everyone is gone by then, but if you look firms such as ANR will sometimes "share venue" or times with bowers and superior from time to time so as not to conflict directly as a courtesy.
    Pablo Del Gusto
  • A great solution to this problem is to revive the idea of the Apostrophe auctions. Each member auction house would contribute 500 lots. Those sales were very popular from '79-90.
    Greg Cohen

Senior Numismatist

Legend Rare Coin Auctions

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file