Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

The ultimate '71 Munson! DGF images!

Made 'ya look! OK, it's not EXACTLY a '71 Munson, but it is the photo from the original Topps slide blown up to 20x30 inches, framed and currently residing in my boy's room. As many of you know, I collect and restore old sports and Americana slides for my company called "Old School Images" I started here in Chicago.

Here's a really funny story...
Last year when I took it out of it's tubing to show fellow collector Mike Castaldi in my dining room this huge image, he watched as I slowly and carefully removed it and began to unroll it onto my magnetic table for viewing--keep in mind, he does not know what the image is--when I finally got it set up he took his first look at it ever and without hesitation of more than a second, he says "...It's centered!" I just thought that was brilliant. I still laugh when I think about how quick he was with that. Anyway here's the image I wanted to share. My kids love the picture as much as I do these days...man, they have a cool room!

Comments

• Impressive image! I love the depth of field -- it makes you feel like you're the ump calling the play and Munson is looking to you for the call.

Ya better get it right!

hh
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tremendous pic!

That's a really nice frame also.

I like how clear it is and all that dirt flying!

You've got some of the best photos I've ever seen and definitely the best here at CU!

keep'm comin! Thanx for sharing.
    mike
    Mike
  • zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

Awesome! That is incredible restoration.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • that's what I consider TRUE ART...between DGF and Knuckles, this board has some amazing artistic talent...
  • schr1stschr1st Posts: 1,677 ✭✭
    That is sweet! I think I'd prefer it with a black frame (homage to the 71 set from whence it came), but still that is a great picture.
    Who is Rober Maris?
  • Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

Well come on!! was he safe or was he out?
  • zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

<< <i>That is sweet! I think I'd prefer it with a black frame (homage to the 71 set from whence it came), but still that is a great picture. >>

Great call!

And if I know Phil, I bet he tried it and it didn't have the same feel as the card so he didn;t want a crappy reproduction and put it in a timeless wooden frame.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    That... is... the.. BOMB!
  • yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,243 ✭✭✭
    Very impressive indeed. Nice photo DGF
  • schr1stschr1st Posts: 1,677 ✭✭
    If I may ask, how did you get access to the original Topps slide? Was it a Topps Vault purchase? If you could get the rights clearance for it, that would be a very marketable print (at least around these boards).
    Who is Rober Maris?

• << <i>And if I know Phil, I bet he tried it and it didn't have the same feel as the card so he didn;t want a crappy reproduction and put it in a timeless wooden frame.

>>

Jordan,
    You absolutely KILL me. As I read the responses and got to the black frame idea I chuckled. When I got to yours I just lost it. Apparently, you do know me. I tried every black frame in Illinois. The problem was it looked like a typical piece of sports memorabilia that "upper-deck" would offer. You know, like the gazillion Michael Jordan items out there in every executive office in Chicago? So I went with a classic frame. Truth be told, the frame is more expensive than the image! I really splurged on it. I used my 50% off coupon at Michaels and it still wasn't cheap.
    Black was the way to go in theory only. The image was dying in it.

As for the slide, you'll never get rights to it. George Steinbrenner's son was trying to purchase it and it was around 5 figures (In the 50K range) and a no-go last I heard--if my sources are correct. I know where it is, but it's going to stay there for a long while. There was a dealer in N.J. that negotiated a handful of prints at some insane price and I contacted him a couple of years ago. I got the image and put it on the flat-bed and blew up section-by-section for some clarity and color enhancement and a bit of clean-up. Then I framed it and here it is. The original was pretty darned good. I just wanted something REALLY colorful and crisp. I can probably re-scan and scale it down a bit and do some really nice 8x12's from this photo. I wouldn't want to dilute the market, however.
    All of my limited and Classic editions are limited as to protect the investment of the folks who buy them. I've been told I'm crazy for limiting my income, but the camera keeps clicking and people want to see new images every day. I figure there's enough cool stuff to go around. If the day ever comes where there is a secondary market for my images, I will be successful enough for my taste.

dgf
  • bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    Absolutely stunning photo DGF.......any chance you want to sell a copy of that ? Would you accept my first born as payment ?
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• I hate to admit it DGF, but that is way nicer that my 8!! It looks like it's 3-D. Beauty!

Steve
    steve
  • tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    I'd get in line for that photo.
  • larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭
    A beauty!
  • tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    DGF, Awesome Munson photo ! I see where PSA is stating to authenticate classic photos, will you be helping them out ?

• Was there a greater era in baseball?
  • Meat,
    Not for me.

I haven't heard anything about original photo authentication. How would this be done...and why? It seems that would make restorations and displays a bit difficult. Any news on that?

dgf
  • tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    DGF, It is on the PSA home page that they will start doing this, a couple of articles. You should be very interested in them.

Photo authentication article
    Photo authentication article 2

• rvcrvc Posts: 559 ✭✭
    dgf
    awesome pic. i hope you do the 8x12's
    Bob
  • HoofHeartedHoofHearted Posts: 2,537 ✭✭
    Does anybody recognize the Athletic in the picture??

He's obviously OUT!!! Thurman's in control...

hh
  • as far as I can tell Thurman's eyes are closed image
    www.LloydWTaylor.com
    Vintage Baseball Cards
    Sales and Ebay Consignment Service
    email
    Lloyd_Taylor_Vintage_Cards -- on Ebay
  • larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭
    Does anybody recognize the Athletic in the picture??

I was curious about that too. I showed it to a big A's fan and he suggested Rick Monday as a possibility. I really don't know.
  • Dave Duncan.