Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

First IHC Photo

Hi, Everyone.

Here is my first Indian Head Cent photo. It's got some interesting color to it, but that doesn't show up well in the photo unfortunately.

Here's the reverse:

If you haven't noticed, I'm single and miserable and I've got four albums of bitching about it that I would offer as proof.

-- Adam Duritz, of Counting Crows

My Ebay Auctions

Comments

• Options
    Seems you just need some better lighting or something.

Keep trying, you'll get there. image
    16 Year Old YN
    Looking for Type Coins for my Dansco #7070....Got anything? PM me.

My Type Set Thread (In Progress)
  • Options
    I definitely need more lighting. I'm thinking of a copystand. My ex girlfriend (who is now an art teacher) seems to think that all I need's a good tripod and about 500 watts worth of lighting. I'm just surprised the IHC came out that dark. I guess my lighting right now is only acceptable for silver and gold.
    If you haven't noticed, I'm single and miserable and I've got four albums of bitching about it that I would offer as proof.

My Ebay Auctions
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    A good first effort! image

Some constructive criticism....

Try three things:

1) Increase the exposure (generally done by lengthening the exposure time) -- your photo is underexposed.

2) Get a tripod or copy stand -- your ex-girlfriend is partially right. You don't need 500 watts of light -- 90% of my photos are shot with one 60 watt bulb -- but you do need a good stable support for the camera.

3) Move the light "higher". Your light is at too low of an angle to the coin. Move it closer to the camera lens and farther away from the coin. This will "even out" the light in the picture.

Hope this helps...Mike

Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    Thanks for the suggestions, Mike. image

I'm not sure how to go about lengthening my exposure time. I need to search the camera's documentation, I guess.

My Ebay Auctions

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file