Home Sports Talk
Options

I always wondered what it would feel like to root for the 1962 Mets

Now I know.

Please bring back Patrick. Either that or please put my team out of its misery. LOL

Comments

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Obviously of course a completely different situation than the Knicks. As you may recall, I lived in Connecticut as a young boy in 1962 before moving to Philly in 1965. So at the time I was a Yankees fan and became a Mets fan with the new franchise. Really...it wasn't that bad because there were no expectations whatsoever. Actually it was fun being a Mets fan. They were a "lovable" team with Stengel, Throneberry and the rest, and we simply expected them to lose. "Lovable losers" so to speak. When they'd win a game it was almost like winning a World Series game - LOL.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    The first game I ever attended was at the polo grounds. I still have the year book and score card from that day.

mets of course lost.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    DirtyHarryDirtyHarry Posts: 1,914 ✭✭
    Nobody "rooted"for the 62 Mets. They just hapened to be there. Not that I disagree with "Win" if he did.
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
  • Options

Yeah, I guess I was exaggerating a bit but the Knicks are pretty pathetic so I watch and endure. At least they will get a good draft pick.
  • Options
    At least they will get a good draft pick too bad they traded it to the bulls for curry.image
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The first game I ever attended was at the polo grounds. I still have the year book and score card from that day.

mets of course lost.

Steve >>

The "amazing" thing to me was not how they lost 120 games...but how the hell did they ever win 40 games - LOL
  • Options
    When will the Knicks put Isiah Thomas out of his misery?
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭

<< <i>When will the Knicks put Isiah Thomas out of his misery? >>

They won't.

That team makes dumb move after dumb move. It's funny, with a salary cap in place how horrific a new york team can be.

Makes up for the yankees trying to buy wins every year.
  • Options

<< <i>I always wondered what it would feel like to root for the 1962 Mets >>

Kinda like rooting for the Yankees between 1982 and 1994.
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I always wondered what it would feel like to root for the 1962 Mets >>

Kinda like rooting for the Yankees between 1982 and 1994. >>

Boy you got that right. I was 13-25 years old during that stretch. Don Mattingly was our only guiding light! Just proves that all the money in the world does not translate into wins. Finally the Yankees employed the right people during George's little banishment from the team and made the playoffs for the first time in almost 15 years in 1996. Now we get to listen to know nothing blowhards screaming and crying about money money money. Ahhh life is good image

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options

Boy you got that right. I was 13-25 years old during that stretch. Don Mattingly was our only guiding light!

Yes, in 1990 the Yankees hit rock bottom with a .414 winning percentage. I remember it well. At least they had Mattingly and Winfield to keep a Yankee fan's hopes up. The Yankees' futility does not even come close to the Knick's horrendous .265 W%, worse in the league.

That team makes dumb move after dumb move.

You got that right.
  • Options

<< <i>Boy you got that right. I was 13-25 years old during that stretch. Don Mattingly was our only guiding light!

Yes, in 1990 the Yankees hit rock bottom with a .414 winning percentage. I remember it well. At least they had Mattingly and Winfield to keep a Yankee fan's hopes up. The Yankees' futility does not even come close to the Knick's horrendous .265 W%, worse in the league.

That team makes dumb move after dumb move.

You got that right. >>

I think the NBA CBA will inhibit a Yank-like turn around though.
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    I own of an inexpensive but Historical tape of the entire first game in History of the Mets.They played the game in St Louis.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    SoFLPhillyFanSoFLPhillyFan Posts: 3,931 ✭✭

Hey, the Knicks have 6 more wins than the 72-73 Sixers who went 9-73.

Then again I don't think they had the highest payroll in the league either.

Keith