Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Nanotechnology and coins...

I'm thinking that sometimes in the future, it will be possible to move atoms one by one. Can you imagine what it will mean for coins? It will become possible to repair all the scratches, rubs, and dings one by one, aligning the atoms exactly right to replicate the perfect luster and cartwheels.

How would you feel about that? An opportunity, or a killjoy?
"The greatest productive force is human selfishness."
Robert A. Heinlein

Comments

• Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    I have news for you, it is already possible...Mike
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    JDelageJDelage Posts: 724 ✭✭
    You're talking about the IBM thing? OK - I meant "commercially possible for many or most collectors".
    Robert A. Heinlein
  • Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
    just underlines the fact, on a certain level, they're just chunks of matter.
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The way the technology will exist to enable this, the technology will exist to confirm its occurrence.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    You can make gold from lead now too, but it's a little expensive.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    Hi,

See:

CVD

-Brian
  • Options
    Not sure CVD would get you that. To get the luster, the atoms need to be oriented in a radial pattern. I think you'd need the ability to move them individually.
    Robert A. Heinlein
  • Options

<< <i>The way the technology will exist to enable this, the technology will exist to confirm its occurrence. >>

But would it matter? If you need some hi-tech test to discover it, but that the coin looks perfect with normal optical means, up to a microscope, should you care?
    Robert A. Heinlein
  • Options
    mozeppamozeppa Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭
    i'm doin it now!

got all that million dollar stuff in my garage.

i'm currently adding "S's" to 55 philly lincolns...i'm gonna be rich!
  • Options
    flaminioflaminio Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭
    I'm waiting for Star Trek replicator technology. "Computer. 1796 quarter, MS66".

Or a holodeck. But if I had a holodeck, I'd never leave the friggin' house.
  • Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm waiting for Star Trek replicator technology. "Computer. 1796 quarter, MS66".

Or a holodeck. But if I had a holodeck, I'd never leave the friggin' house. >>

I wish holodecks were in existance. I could imagine a few choice stimulations, er simulations, I would be able to write and retail to the public that would make me a pretty penny image
  • Options
    It will mean the end of the hobby as we know it. Perfect counterfeits will be possible and common. People will have to collect something else like gold-pressed latinum image.
  • Options
    ANACONDAANACONDA Posts: 4,692
    If threads are going to get killed that talk about the implications of nanotechnology on coins, like the one I started today (which incidentally had absolutely nothing to do with anything other than nanotechnology and it's implications as it regards coins), you might want to kill them all including this one.

And, since it will surely be discussed across the street, you'll have to kill those too, somehow. Don't forget about rec-collecting coins. Then there's always Coin World. Numismatic News. Phone conversations. Email. Short wave. Conversations at coin shows - those are gonna be hard to control.

Truth is the cat has never been in the bag and the best way to handle this topic is to just to realize what the future holds and deal with it. It won't kill coins nor will it kill the grading of them.

It will make an interesting chapter in your next book "How I Changed the World of Coins and the Battles I Fought and Won."

Now, again, please don't ban me for simply speaking the truth. Trust me, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.
  • Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    not "the truth" but something with truth in it.

Nevertheless, events more towards THIS side of the event horizon suggest a low probability. Catatrophe not catastrophic.

Medical technology will get the nano play. Once again we mistake ourselves as worth more notice than given by anyone else in the whole doggone rest of the world. imageimageimage
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    ANACONDAANACONDA Posts: 4,692
    When were lasers first used on human's eyes and when were they first used on coins?
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    oh bother~

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    My nana doesn't use technology, so I don't understand this whole nanatechnology thing.

I can definitely say when this does happen, it will be a microscopically small problem.

• Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    I really liked that answer Frank +6

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options

<< <i>I really liked that answer Frank +6 >>

Thank you! I always have been a man of the people.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file