Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Do you like gold coins with color?

RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
Article on raregoldcoins.com.

I will post a couple examples later. Post a pic or comment if you like.

Comments

• Options
    RTSRTS Posts: 1,408
    Not really unless it's subdued/subtle...but not a big fan of toned silver either.
  • Options
    jomjom Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭✭✭

jom
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    I think the warmness of gold toning beats silver any day. Here is a small variety of toners that I have.

• Options
    CalGoldCalGold Posts: 2,609 ✭✭

<< <i> Clever marketers were quick to see that this was the best way to turn a $50 coin into a $10,000 coin >>

Now who would go and do a thing like that?

<< <i>It seems to me that superbly toned gold coins are a great market play right now.... >>

Why does everything come down to a "market play." I'm not trying to pick on Mr. Winter--other dealers do this constantly -- touting "undervalued" or "overlooked" coins that have "underperformed" the market, and that might be a "ground floor opportunity" rather than just educating collectors as to why an original coin with good color is a better choice if you are a collector of that series or looking for a type piece.

CG
  • Options
  • Options
    librtyheadlibrtyhead Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭
    gold silver I think silver is colorfull gold is a deeper tone not my cup-o-tea.but I can appreciate the gold!!!!!!!!it is king!
  • Options
    I love em but they seem harder to find.
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I love em but they seem harder to find. >>

I agree, they don't just come to you. You have to go look at lots and cherry pick. Every now and then Heritage takes a decent picture and you pick up a nice lower grade toned gold coin. Thats where I got some of my Half Eagles. The trick is to never stop looking. It's also kinda fun.
  • Options
    TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭
    I think it is simply because the colors are not as standout as silver.....

Also what is the ratio of gold to silver collector wise.....

I will not pay a huge premium for silver toning, so I don't care either way.....
    Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    Jom- Excellent! image
  • Options
    ERER Posts: 7,345
    Yes, I like the ones posted so far.image
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    YUP...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    Saints can come beautifully colored. I have a friend who once put together a group of Saints of all different colors. This is the only one I have worth posting:

• Options
    Before you guys get carried away - just remember that pure gold does not tone - it's the copper alloy in the gold that causes the toning image
    Collecting eye-appealing Proof and MS Indian Head Cents, 1858 Flying Eagle and IHC patterns and beautiful toned coins.

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.” Mark Twain
    Newmismatist
  • Options
    Thanks, Newmismatist, for the clarification. I think most are aware of this.

• Options
    Before you guys get carried away - just remember that pure gold does not tone - it's the copper alloy in the gold that causes the toning

Not entirely true... They will tone to a dark color if stored in a gift box, some envelopes, etc. My example is a result of the alloy mix as you suggested.
  • Options
    This one was stored in a small box for many years...

• Options
    i just bought a beautiful $3 piece out of a collection the other day with slight purple shades. The coin is really stunning!
    Nick
  • Options

<< <i>Before you guys get carried away - just remember that pure gold does not tone - it's the copper alloy in the gold that causes the toning

Not entirely true... They will tone to a dark color if stored in a gift box, some envelopes, etc. My example is a result of the alloy mix as you suggested. >>

PURE Gold - 100% pure gold won't tone - There was a program on one of the learning type channels - (PBS, TLC, Discovery) that actually had them cooking with a pure gold frying pan (to show the tremendous heat transfer properties of gold) and the fryiing pan barely oxidized - as I said PURE gold does not tone - it's only when it has some other alloy (usually copper or silver) that you get toning. US gold coins are only 90% pure with most of the alloy as copper
    Collecting eye-appealing Proof and MS Indian Head Cents, 1858 Flying Eagle and IHC patterns and beautiful toned coins.

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.” Mark Twain
    Newmismatist
  • Options
    Geeze, I thought the topic was about gold "coins" toning, NOT pure gold bars!? image
  • Options
    Original skinimage Pm if interested

Michael
  • Options
    This one is no longer in my collection but belongs to another forum member.

• Options
    RYK,

I love that 51-D what is goin on with the eagles leg ( left as you view the coin)?
    Nick
  • Options
    I love that 51-D what is goin on with the eagles leg ( left as you view the coin)?

Smudge on the PCGS holder. image
  • Options

<< <i>I love that 51-D what is goin on with the eagles leg ( left as you view the coin)?

Smudge on the PCGS holder. image >>

I am glad it is not on the coin! Simply gorgeous original surfaces!
    Nick
  • Options
    uofa1285uofa1285 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭
    Okay, here is the finest one I have ever seen (and I own it)!

CoinHusker has posted my pics below (thanks!)

Visit my eBay Store to see my (mostly) overpriced Rainbow Toned PCGS/NGC coins! IshopCoinShows4You
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bought this from CoinLt - has some dark toning around the periphery that might turn off some folks but I find it attractive.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    neat coin.
    Nick
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    for later date three dollar gold and later dated type three one dollar gold and many saints in the 1920's you get this lilac light purple and this is due to the improper alloy mixture where lots of concentration of copper ions at the surface of the coin

so again this tones lilac light purple coloration

it is stunning and extremely beautiful if it is a gem coin with killer lustre

many so not understand this as many have not seen it it is scarce uncommon and pcgs has slabbed some but as of the past these coins where hard to sell as many collectors just do not understand this never see this hence no demand and fear of such coins

this is ever so slightly changing as it is super specialized and abet extremely beautiful

also with this lilac toning other parts of the coin ARE A wonderful deep orange red coloration again due to the improper alloy mixture................... and it is quite stunning

if someone was close to me and has good photographic skills i could show you wonderful examples as such

that would blow your mind and make your tongues hard
  • Options
    jomjom Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭✭✭

jom
  • Options
    The main thing I love about toned Gold Coins (or the silver/copper alloy therein) is the wonderfull deep rich colors of original skinned examples. The Morse collection and other recent sales had some beauties--and I'd say their eye appeal was a part of the big bids as well as the high technical grades. In a way premium original material is already bringing some "color" bonus--it's just not like the monster toned commems and Morgans.
    morgannut2
  • Options
    YES, I like gold coins with color. And I have seen and handled two with the color Michael is talking about. Breathtaking beauty! I also like the sunburst saints if the colors fade well and are not spotty. I have one of those, 1926 PCGS 65 I bought from Legend years ago when gold was in the dumps and no one wanted to buy gold. I have never sold the coin and still enjoy its beauty. Especially at todays prices. image
    In an insane society, a sane person will appear to be insane.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A few years ago I bought a MS Liberty double eagle with nicely toned crusty surfaces. The problem was there was also a lot of dirt packed into the lettering and other crevaces. I soaked it for a while in warm water and liquid dish washing detergent. The dirt came off but so did the toning. Apparently the toning was many years of accumulated layers of sweat, body oil, and grime. The coin now has full blast luster and would probably grade a few points higher if I ever got it slabbed. This was a very interesting experience for me.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    I prefer gold coins with color, and actually avoid ones that are just bland, yellow gold in color. I bought a really nice quarter eagle from Doug Winter that has some incredible reddish color to it. It is by far my favorite coin. I posted a thread about the different colors of gold coins (it was probably over a year ago), and lots of forum members posted examples of green gold, red gold, orange gold, etc., etc. It was a really informative thread.
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options

<< <i>Okay, here is the finest one I have ever seen (and I own it)!
    >>

Superb Color!!

imageimage
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would love to do a colored $10 indian set .... but unfortunately someone with very deep pockets is buying them all up. image
  • Options
    JDelageJDelage Posts: 724 ✭✭

<< <i>i just bought a beautiful $3 piece out of a collection the other day with slight purple shades. The coin is really stunning! >>

There's a traditional Japanese alloy called Shakudo, which is generally around 96% copper and 4% gold (plus trace elements of other metals) that patinates purple black over time.
    "The greatest productive force is human selfishness."
    Robert A. Heinlein
  • Options
    uofa1285uofa1285 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭

<< <i>Okay, here is the finest one I have ever seen (and I own it)!

Superb Color!! >>

Thank you Coin Husker for posting the pics for me and your comments.

Doug

Visit my eBay Store to see my (mostly) overpriced Rainbow Toned PCGS/NGC coins! IshopCoinShows4You

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file