Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Dos and Donts of Ebay

Here is my theory... If I am selling an item I always end it late Sunday or Thursday night.

I always use the "gallery" feature and always start each item at 9.99...

anyone else have any "Ebay theories" to share with Jesse?

God Bless.
also, I am interested in any Packers items right now and big game tickets!!
Always collecting vintage basketball and any ABA memorabilia.

Comments

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>anyone else have any "Ebay theories" to share with Jesse? >>

Never buy from a guy who just returned from an estate sale with a Honus!

Never buy from a guy who says: L@@K!

No Paypal - no sale.

Never buy from a guy who's willing to show naked pictures of his wife, just to sell a factory set of cards!

Never buy from a guy who charges 8 skillion dollars for shipping and handling!

Never buy from a guy who uses the word "rare", "scarce", "hard to find", and 1/1 in the same sentence!

Well, that's a start...
    mike

Mike
  • Options

<< <i>

Never buy from a guy who's willing to show naked pictures of his wife, just to sell a factory set of cards! >>

Why? Whats wrong with that? image

Matt

• Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Don't sell in February.
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options

Never buy from a guy who's willing to show naked pictures of his wife, just to sell a factory set of cards!

LMAO!! You guys are GREAT!

As for the question of why end auctions on Thursday... I would just say look at all the major auction houses... They all end their auctions on Thursdays for the most part.

I always thought it had to do with people getting paid on that day?? Not sure.Weekends are the worst for auction ends in my opinion. Too much else going on. Unless you have no life like me that isimage

• Options
    Why not in February, I feel winter months are best, also I avoid Sunday night endings as I have had more luck on weeknight endings. I know everyone has different opinions on this. I also pay the little extra and start auctions higher to safeguard my sales, as I can sell at shows and am not giving items away on ebay.
    XTRA INNINGS SPORTS CARDS
    Now Closed For Good

REFERENCES: check rmcards4u

Looking for tough Game Used and Autos in Football and Baseball, expecially Phillies, Orioles, Redskins, Steelers, Eagles and Raiders.
  • Options
    I think the biggest no-no of them all is don't set a reserve.

It costs way too much to list a reserve item and it deters bidding.
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Selling prices this February in vintage are the lowest I've seen in the 10 months I've been tracking prices. Ridiculously low. It's a buyer's market.

I picked up 18 NM 1961 Topps cards last night from a well known seller for $15. That is crazy.
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    And the biggest no- no of them all:

Matt
  • Options
    I think you may be charged a little extra by starting at $9.99 instead of $9.95. eBay may have changed this, I'm not sure. Check it out and make sure.
  • Options
    Hmm. I thought it was always under 10 bucks... I cant find the place where they tell you. Can you?
  • Options
    A lot of you guys will think I'm crazy...however, the number one best way to get high sales on E-bay with repeat customers is, are you ready for this? Leave feedback immediately upon receipt of payment. That's it. That's the secret. Buyers love this. You have no idea how many buyers have e-mailed us and told us that the only reason they buy from us is because of our feedback policy. I can't stress this enough. Buyers LOVE it when you leave feedback first. And there's no downside. None. Sure, you're setting yourself up to be given a negative unfairly. But it doesn't happen. It simply does not happen. Indeed, sellers who don't leave feedback upon receipt of payment get more negative feedback than sellers who do. Think about the last time you bought something on E-bay and received positive feedback as soon as you paid. It felt pretty good didn't it? It sets the tone for the entire transaction. And, in the unlikely event a buyer is not satisfied with what they receive, they always give you a chance to fix it. They don't neg you right way. Because you've earned their trust. Seems like a little thing and I know some of you out there think I'm making too much of this. I don't think I am.

I have to tell you that we also get e-mails from big time sellers who tell us we shouldn't be messing with the "system."
    If you have a moment, please check out our E-bay auctions.
    our e-bay auctions

• Options
    I totally agree Hub about the immediate fb (as the buyer has already done their part by bidding and paying..end of story) and reiterate my point about emailing buyers letting them know that you've mailed their item...BrianWinters would certainly disagree with me but that's my way of doing business....
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    hub,

you make an excellent point. The sellers who leave feedback first tend to be the ones I look to buy from again. When something does go wrong, they are willing to make it right and I really value this.

"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    by the way Hub and others,

does the 89th day and final minute negative feedback work in order to avoid the retaliation by a seller who is not honoring his refund policy?

I really want to put in my public service and let other buyers know about bad sellers
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    gstarlinggstarling Posts: 463 ✭✭
    no, that doesn't work anymore.

once you leave feedback, there is a 5 day extension for them to leave feedback.
    Currently Buying:
    2004 Tommie Harris SPX Printing Plate (White Whale will pay top $$$)
    1994 SP Football Die Cuts PSA 10s
  • Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭

<< <i>And the biggest no- no of them all:

Matt >>

LMAO....could always be worse though......something like this could happen......

PLUS NO EBAY =

"The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    never e-bay while hungry....

Julen
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never buy from a guy who found a 52T pack in a baggy left by his dearly departed pop!

Never buy from a guy who doesn't scan and shows you fuzzy pics!

Never buy from a guy who shows you a scan of a 1000$ card and is selling the wax!!!

mike
    Mike