Home U.S. Coin Forum

When you rinse a coin after a dip, do you use hot water or cold water?

PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
Or does it even make a difference? I would think hot water would do a more thorough job and would dry faster but can hot water hurt the surfaces of the coin? I'm against dipping but sometimes a coin needs a quick dip to make it marketable.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

Comments

• I was told by a long time "DIPPER" to hot water.
    "Everyday above ground is a good day"

• DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Cold distilled water in two bowls.
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always used room temp. Plain in 1st bowl and COMPLETELY DISSOLVED baking soda (low solution) in 2nd. Followed by a pat-wrap in absorbent paper under arm to bring to evaporation and complete dry.
    Then swift into 2x2.

????
  • StratStrat Posts: 612 ✭✭✭
    I use distilled water at room temp, in a separate bowl. I have used hot water, since it evaporates faster, but feel more secure using distilled.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I always used room temp. Plain in 1st bowl and COMPLETELY DISSOLVED baking soda (low solution) in 2nd. Followed by a pat-wrap in absorbent paper under arm to bring to evaporation and complete dry.
    Then swift into 2x2.

???? >>

Aren't you affraid of leaving baking soda residue on your coin? I can see the baking soda as a good way to neutalizing the acid but shouldn't there be another rinse to get rid of the baking soda residue?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Cold distilled water in two bowls. >>

Ditto.

Russ, NCNE
  • AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Cold distilled water in two bowls. >>

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • carlcarl Posts: 2,054
    Hang on there a moment. You never said what you dipped the coin in. If in an oil based substance, water of any kind will do very little. If dipped in pure Acetone, there should be very little residue and adding any water would be unnecessary. What I mean is the dipping stuff could make a difference. However if you must, then jsut use distilled water at room temperature and blow dry with a hair dryer set on either just air or warm.
    Now what I would do if I were you would be to add a pinch of salt, a spoon of Vinegar, a splash of Basil and a little Miracle whip. Put that on a salad and leave the coins alone.
    Carl
  • topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will this now allow a post? Yep I guess so. I tried to edit my dip rinse as I put em backwards. I do the baking soda BEFORE the plain water.

But....since coins shouldn't ever be dipped.....maybe I don't do it at all.

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would you like to be dipped in two bowls of cold water? image

Sorry but you have to have a better reason that marketable...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    Use only hot water. Cold water cannot completely dissolve the dip chemicals, and as a result the coins have a greater chance of changing appearance due to dip contamination.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • The last time I used cold water it led to a chilling effect of the coin, which in turn led to condensation from my fingers at the edge of the coin. I had to wait for the coin to warm up to be completely satisfied that it was stable.
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Use only hot water. Cold water cannot completely dissolve the dip chemicals, and as a result the coins have a greater chance of changing appearance due to dip contamination. >>

Plain water will not completely neutralize an acid based dip no matter what the temp is. You need an alkaline based rinse to do that, either 99% isopropyl acohol or dissolved baking soda. Water is used only as a final rinse.

Russ, NCNE

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file