Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

How much does Koosman affect the value of Ryan's rookie?

Jerry Koosman was certainly no slouch. A lot of those multi-player rookie cards featuring future HOF'ers have no names on them. Koosman though won 222 games with a 3.36 ERA and 2,556 K. Not HOF numbers, but pretty darn good. Let's say a PSA 9 Ryan rookie sells for $4,500. What would it sell for if Koosman was a nobody?
"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."

Comments

• Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    Probably the same. For Koosman to affect the value of the card I would think some people would need to be interested in it, by virtue of the fact that Koosman is on it, that aren't already. I doubt this happens. It's a little like the Ron Cey/ Mike Schmidt thing-- it can't hurt, but I doubt it helps.

The Molitor/Trammell RC, on the other hand, is probably helped by having both players on it.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a good question!

I don't know.

I always thought - if Ryan had his own card with a decent pic - would it go for more money?

My guess? Probably.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    The only major circumstance in baseball I can think of where a player was printed with both a multi-player RC and a solo RC-year card is Cal Ripken Jr. The base-issue Topps goes for... a half or a third (no Beckett handy) of what the Topps Traded card pulls, even though the Traded isn't really an RC, probably due mostly to two non-star players being on the regular Topps card. Of course, rarity is also an issue, but is the '82 Traded set really that rare?
    Kobe Who? image At least Dwyane pays proper respect to Da Big Aristotle image

Yes, I collect shiny modern crap image

All your Shaq are belong to me image
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭

<< <i> Of course, rarity is also an issue, but is the '82 Traded set really that rare? >>

Comparatively, sure it is.

PSA has approximately graded 17,000 regulat Topps Ripken cards, but only 6,000 Topps Traded Ripken cards. So you can argue, intelligently I think, that the Traded Ripken rookie is 3x as rare.

Interestingly, there have been only 4,800 Fleer Ripken rookies graded, and only 6,000 Donruss. Both are worth substantially less than either Topps card.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    I think the Rose rc suffers the most from this problem. Even though his rc is priced pretty reasonable I always wondered what his rc would be like with just him. No other 4 player card looks as bad. You can barely make him out.
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    I don't think having Jerry Koosman on the same card has any bearing at all. Although Koos was certainly a good pitcher in his day, not too many people remember him.

Nice topic nevertheless. Besides the famous Bird/Johnson rookie and maybe the fore mentioned Molitor/Trammell, has there been any other multiplayer rookie cards of significance? I can't think of one.
  • Options
    Well, maybe the '72 Fisk/Cooper card, but that's only around the Boston area.
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm probably in the minority here, but I love the multi-player rookie cards. Maybe because they were big during my formative years of collecting (I started when I was 6 in 1979), but they just scream ROOKIE to me, and rookie cards is basically all I collect. The '65 Catfish Hunter rookie also features Blue Moon Odom and Lachemann (I forget which one). That's pretty cool. I think the '71 Topps Don Baylor/Dusty Baker/Tom Paciorek rookie card is pretty cool too.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    I have always felt sorry for Jerry Koosman collectors or family members who want a Koosman rookie and have to shell out big bucks for this card.
  • Options
    tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    On the other hand, if Koosman's family obtained a lot of cards back when Jerry started, they are probably pretty happy right now.
  • Options
    CON40CON40 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    You guys are looking for the wrong rookie cards that's all... here are a couple nice single image examples!

• Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have always felt sorry for Jerry Koosman collectors or family members who want a Koosman rookie and have to shell out big bucks for this card. >>

Koosman played 19 seasons in the majors, and he made $600k in 1985 for the Phillies. I think Jerry should have enough money to buy some nice rookie cards for anyone in his family....
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    I wish it was Seaver on there with him, and on a 67 issue which is sweeter than 68. What if they had it in 51 and put Mantle and Mays on one together?

I really need to get a Ryan rookie for my collection as he was my favortie player when I got into collecting at age 6 or so. To me the Ryan rookie was the holy grail and just seeing the one or two that I saw in person as a kid was the greatest thing ever. My next purchase will be a Bird/Magic rookie and after that I am going to find a Ryan.
  • Options
    As an 8-year old collector in 1968, I saved all my Ryan rookie cards simply because it had Jerry Koosman on it. I hadnt heard of Ryan, but Koosman and Seaver were tough against the Cubs.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keith

The Ryan and Rose are off the chart!

Very nice.

If Rose were in the 63F set - IMO, it would be one of the centerpiece cards!

thanx for the great artwork - ranks right up there with Knuckles auto work!
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    Koosman has no effect either way.Great card !
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    The one I have always wondered about is the 1978 Molitor/Trammell. It is few and far between that 2 guys on the same card had such tremendous success. Both of those players, had they been on seperate cards, would probably be worth roughly the same individually as the card of both of them is worth now.
  • Options
    The Bird, Magic rookie with Dr J seems the most improbable of all sports rookies.

What are the odds? The only year Topps made a multi player set like that.....they happen to come into the league in the same year..... they happen to be on opposite ends of the card (already looked like a rivalry), and with a HOF'er like Dr J in the middle, how does it get any better.

Willie Stargell's rookie and '35 Goudeys are especially underrated because of the design.

• Options
    Well, actually, I think the way the set was collated with select players to appear on certain cards were intentional on Topps part. Both were widely successful rookies who quickly established themselves as superstars. Putting them both on the same card with Dr. J as a sweetener would be a great way to make collectors buy more packs. Gotta remember, at the time the card came out, both Bird and Johnson had already played a full year in the NBA.

By the way, I had this card in NrMt-Mt condition way back and made the tragic mistake of letting it go. I regret it to this day.