Home Metal Detecting
Options

I would like to start metal detecting

I have been watching this board for a while and am very interested in starting this interesting hobby. I need the names of a few metal detectors that would work for a begginer and would be somewhat inexpensive. Any help?

Comments

• Options
    Kellyco is a good start.
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    The Whites Matrix M6 or Prism IV or V woule be good entry level machines. If you end up not liking the hobby they would have good resale value. You should also evaluate what you want to hunt for and pick a machine that fits those needs. I use a Whites MXT and it's great! One thing to make sure of is get a Tone ID machine or Visual ID. One tone no ID detectors will handicap you.

Good luck!! and remember research is the key!
  • Options
    i would like to mainly hunt for coins. Does this help?
  • Options
    With that in mind, As far as Whites goes I would look at the Prism V or the M6. If you want to go High dollar look at the MXT or DFX. I'm not too up on the other brands. IF I were you I would start out in the mid range.
  • Options
    Depending on what your price range is......The Garrett Ace 250 is a good starter detector with good features. Sell for around 200 bucks. Alot of people new to detecting start with Bounty Hunters also. They have a whole line from100 bucks up to 500.

Northern California
    Minelab Sovereign GT with 180 meter and Sunray probe.
  • Options
    the ace 250 is a great starter, and from what i've read alot of mding veterans love it too....i know i do!....light weight, easy to use..... it has features found in more expensive machines (id. and pin point, +++)... based on my experience "it finds coins".....no matter what detector you buy, they're all good, take a little time to learn what the machine is telling you, be patient and keep the coil to the ground.....good luck and welcome....see ya!
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    ON another note.. don't spend less than $200 for a new detector. You will regret it.
  • Options
    DesertRatDesertRat Posts: 1,791
    Welcome!!
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I might suggest that you go out with someone and watch them for a bit before you buy anything. It will take time and patience. I agree with Desertrat about not spending less than $200. Buy something good because if you really stick with it you will use your machine for a long time.
  • Options
    joefrojoefro Posts: 1,872 ✭✭
    Can you tell us what your price range is? I don't have a lot of experience with other detectors for comparison. But I got into detecting last summer and spent $300 on the White's Prism III. The Prizm II was only $200 and the only difference is that it doesn't have depth indication. I've been happy that I spent that extra $100. It really helps in target identification and newbies like us can use all of the help we can get. Plus, from the "research" I did and the advice of others from this forum... I have found that White's is one of the most reliable, accurate and long lasting brands of detectors.

Now I just need to get some time off of school to get out there. Spring break is in two weeks. I'll be over in Georgia for 48 hours from Monday to Wednesday but it's a conference, I won't have a car, and can't take my detector. Aarrg
    Lincoln Cent & Libertad Collector