Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

My cards are getting around.. yikes.

Comments

• Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

2 questions:

Do you know who you made that for?

Are you OK that someone may profit like this?
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice.

Did you sell or trade that? I've been enjoying your cut cards since you've started, despite my lack of participation here otherwise.
  • Options
    KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
    Here's the cards debut

It's fine. I mean why wouldn't you when you could just buy another Paige autograph for $50-$100 and get me to make you another? I would be lying if I didn't say that it does irk me a little as I could just not make cards at all for anyone else and make/sell the cards entirely for my own benefit. But I'm a happy go-lucky Canadian. image

Just found another one.. Foster Hewitt at least take it out of the plastic baggy! image
  • Options

Garret-

That pisses me off big time. You are a better man than I for taking it with a grain of salt.

EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    I thought the guy sold it for $2,199. but then I had to take a look again. It's just a starting buy it now bid.
    I don't think he'll get that, thats kind of too high for his auto. But at least your getting the business....

I think I've got to go watch that Foster Hewitt card and try to get that one in my collection.

Jery image
    Jery's T206 set: Looking for PSA 6's & 7's!
  • Options
    rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭

<< <i>Garret-

That pisses me off big time. You are a better man than I for taking it with a grain of salt. >>

Relax, and just try to grow a thicker skin Jordan!

rbd
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Garret-

That pisses me off big time. You are a better man than I for taking it with a grain of salt. >>

Relax, and just try to grow a thicker skin Jordan!

rbd >>

rbd- I was just voicing my opinion of another one of the good guys(Garret) in the hobby being taken advantage of. This had nothing to do with me and therefor your comment shows you have no idea what "grow some thicker skin" actually means. Don't start derailing every thread I post on just because you fell threatened by me.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    I'd be pissed, too, if what is essentially a gift is then sold. Pretty tasteless if you ask me.

If it were me, I'd be emailing the guy I made the card for and asking for half the profits.
  • Options
    Garrett, I think the seller should of at least given you credit
    in his item description.
  • Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    If you look, both auctions show www.signaturecuts.com as the maker of the card..............

.........if Garret was GIVING these cards away, he would have the right to be irked..............IF these cards sell for good money perhaps it is time for Garrett to raise his prices...........I think garrett is already limiting who he does cards for..........

....by the way I have a Bob Gibson signature in Garret's capable hands..........it will have a high place and permenent fixture in my collection............but some time down the road one of my heirs will probably sell it.........
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If you look, both auctions show www.signaturecuts.com as the maker of the card..............
    >>

But if you look close he also says that signaturecuts isn't making these cards any more. He's selling his as a 1/1, I guess they all are but it's not right.
  • Options
    KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
    They weren't gifts.

PSA grades a raw $30 card a 10 making it a $1,000 card or whatever.. essentially I'm doing the same. I receive an autograph and payment of what was $60 CAD, (now $100 CAD and only available to you guys now) create the card.. and it's worth considerably more. It only irks me a teeny bit, not enough to have mentioned that it did a little which I shouldn't have said. I need to detatch myself more from the work I do for people.

<< <i>it will have a high place and permanent fixture in my collection >>

I love hearing that, but if you can sell it for $1,000 or more do it! You would be crazy not too. image
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Hi Knuckles, In my opinion I dont see anything wrong with your cards being sold. I will go as far as saying its a compliment to you and your fine work. Its really the same as someone selling any other card on Ebay. Not saying your cards are like any others, I am just saying the principle is the same. image

Matt
  • Options
    SouthsiderSouthsider Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    I've mentioned it before, but with a higher profile you're eventually going to attract the attention of the Intellectual Property owners. You are operating a business and selling items for profit that use Trademarks, Copyrights, and Player likenesses without permissions and licenses. Be careful.
  • Options
    Very cool. I folowed you link and could not find what may be available to purchase.
    My focus, 1970 Topps Baseball Raw and Graded, pre 1989 PSA Hockey and 1933 INDIAN GUM ! Yikes!!
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    I think you should raise your prices. I know you enjoy doing it but if people are going to start profiting you should charge more. I am not a big autograph collector but I do enjoy seeing pictures of your work.
  • Options
    Southsider has a valid point but there is a way around it. If the images being used don't belong to an estate or a company which owns the intellectual property rights then they fall under the public domain. There are tons of sports photo's which fall under the public domain which can be safely used without fear of legal action being taken. Such is the case with the many reproductions of wire photo's you see being sold.
  • Options

<< <i>........if Garret was GIVING these cards away, he would have the right to be irked..............IF these cards sell for good money perhaps it is time for Garrett to raise his prices...........I think garrett is already limiting who he does cards for.......... >>

Great point and I did think of that.

I also think it is a compliment to your abilities Garret, but I know your nominal charge was basically for time and materials which is why it initially bugged me that someone who had this card made would flip it.

Either way, hopefully you keep making these beauties and can reap more of the profits yourself.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    It was bound to happen. It wasn't a question of 'if' but a question of 'when'. It's just the initial reaction of " hey....that's my work!" that hits you. As Garret stated, you can view it the same way as PSA increases a card's worth by slabbing it. He offered a service and the cutomer, ultimately, get's to do what they want with the card. It's nice work, so I'm sure Ryan realizes that he can be offered top dollar for it.(If it is Ryan. He might have sold it for a good reason.) Personally, I would, initially, feel the same way as Garret does if I see one of my creations out on the 'bay.

Cheers! Wick

Enjoy collecting vintage baseball cards, memorabilia and autos
  • Options
    tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    I think it is similar to the art world. Artists sell their work to collectors. The art market then values and trades the work based on many factors. The artist doesn't see any money if Sotheby's sells a painting from collector to collector.

The artist needs to protect his work by selling it at the appropriate price, but once it is out on the market, the artist has no control.

That said, I have my Smokin' Joe Frazier signature card that won't be for sale anytime soon.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    Just because the seller is asking that much does not mean it will sell. It may be his favorite card and he just listed it high in his store to show off. I see nothing wrong with people selling these cards. I think they are right about using the images, logos and etc. you may want to be careful. If they begin circulating in the hobby soon more cut sig creators will pop up and we will see a lot more on eBay.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I gotta say...

I would be just pleased to see my name up in lights if you know what I mean.

Nice work Garret!

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    your work is pretty brilliant, especially in comparison to that trash other "reputable" cards companies put out. profit potential is a big consideration for you, especially being the ONLY person currently capable of producing such quality cards like this.

as long as you are taking care of yourself financially (assuming this is a concern of yours in regards to your art), i hope they all sell for big bucks man.

if i were a company like upper deck or whoever, i would be trying to hire you to run this area of their already embarassed (see quad-auto thread) sector of their company.

Julen
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    if the seller PAID knuckles to create this card, and if the seller found the cut sig himself, then he has every right to sell the card..

Knuckles provides a service, similar to PSA grading cards.. sure, PSA could sell my NM/MINT Lou Brock rookie themselves for $600 bucks, but *I* paid them for a service and *I* found the Lou Brock card, and *I* paid money to PSA for their service..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    eyeboneeyebone Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭
    Hey there Garret. I sort of agree with the Lawnmowerman...take it as a compliment.

Or you could hunt the guy down and beat the tar out of him....Garret takes the high road, but what about your alter ego Knuckles? Knuckles are good for roughin' guys up.

Eyebone
    "I'm not saying I'm the best manager in the world, but I'm in the top one." Brian Clough
  • Options

<< <i>One of a Kind Satchel Paige Cut Auto PSA/DNA Certified

$2,199.99 !? image >>

I can't believe the seller didn't give you at least CREDIT for making the card!!! If I needed the $$, I would have at least called you and asked for your blessing AND credited you in the auction fully!

Some people, sheeeeesh.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>One of a Kind Satchel Paige Cut Auto PSA/DNA Certified

$2,199.99 !? image >>

I can't believe the seller didn't give you at least CREDIT for making the card!!! If I needed the $$, I would have at least called you and asked for your blessing AND credited you in the auction fully!

Some people, sheeeeesh. >>

History of item: This item was purchased from the original owner thru www.signaturecuts.com . You can see the actual card in the testimonials section.

He gives credit on the bottom of auction I believe - this is Garret's web correct?

But, this card debuted with a thread created by "Orion" - I don't think Orion is the power seller in this case or is it?

mike
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>
    But if you look close he also says that signaturecuts isn't making these cards any more. He's selling his as a 1/1, I guess they all are but it's not right. >>

Just for GPs, someone should get a similar Paige auto and request the same design. True, it is a slightly different card due to varying autos, but it would take the "1/1" marketing tool away from the seller and let buyers know the cards themselves may not be out-of-print. This would depend on the marketing strategy of signaturecuts.com, of course, and/or any guarantee up front that it would be a 1/1 design for the original buyer.

Just a thought...

hh
  • Options
    BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭
    Garret,

Did you make this card for Orion then? Am I reading this right? Did he pay you for your service??

What ever happened to Ryan, I haven't heard from him in some time???

If he did pay you, I don't see the problem here either.

Seems no different than my line of work. When i charge someone X amount of dollars to build them a house, they are indeed allowed to sell it later for a profit.

If you did this cut auto for him as a favor, that might be a different story.

Either way, you have a great talent, and that's a nice looking card.

shawn
  • Options

<< <i>What ever happened to Ryan, I haven't heard from him in some time??? >>

I was thinking the same thing Red.

I checked my PM record and I spoke with him on Feb 3rd.

I would imagine he's busy.

Ya see...he's not here...

but I'm here cause I have way too much time on my hands and no life according to my wife!!!

Mike