Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Help w/ Alexander Tetradrachm

I have recently purchased this tetradrachm and am not sure if it is a lifetime coin or what mint it is from, not really my area of numismatics - just happened to be a beautiful coin. All help would be greatly appreciated and of course any comments would also be welcomed. Sorry about the bad scan, havent yet mastered the art of coin photography. Thanks in advance

Comments

• AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    That does look like a lifetime issue.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • JZraritiesJZrarities Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭
    It does have the Uncrossed Legs,, but the only way to be sure is the guide my Martin Price.

Although this might help
  • Thanks so much for the info and the link, anyone know the name of the Martin Price book. Thanks in advance
  • Nice one........ imageimage

imageimage
  • The name of the Martin Price book is 'The Coinage in the Name of Alexander the Great and Philip Arrhidaeus', just ordered a copy. Rhound, thanks for the kind comments, I need to master the art of photographing coins because this coin has a beautiful gradual toning and relief that is realy extreme. Thank you kindly for all the help.
  • CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭
    Nice coin. The high relief on ancient greek coins like this generally produce some depth of field issues when photographing them. My camera also tends to focus on the high points leaving the fields a bit blurry.

BTW, your coin is Amphipolis/Macedonia Mint from 320-317 B.C.E.; corn-ear in l. field; PO monogram below throne; Price #130. An early posthumous issue.
    https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Civitas, thank so much for the info. Curious as to which grading company you recomend and will they denote the mint and time-period on the holder. My understanding is that being a posthumous issue the value is greatly decreased from that of a lifetime coin. Any truth to this or are these so common that they just trade as 'type'. Again, thanks for the help and comments.
    There is a premium attached to lifetime issues vs. posthumous issues, but it's not exponential by any means as far as I've seen.

I don't recommend slabbing of ancients, but it is my understanding that only ICG will do it for the general public right now.

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭
    That is a really nice example!!
  • ajaanajaan Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>BTW, your coin is Amphipolis/Macedonia Mint from 320-317 B.C.E.; corn-ear in l. field; PO monogram below throne; Price #130. An early posthumous issue. >>

The amount of numismatic knowledge Josh has just boggles my mind.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
    Nah, I'm just an idiot with a lot of books within 50 feet of me. image

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • ajaanajaan Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You are way too modest Josh.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Josh knows WAY more than he lets on!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • What are lifetime coins & posthumous coins ?