Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

The National show

I've been reading the forum for a month or so now, and really enjoy the banter and information - this is my first post, so apologies in advance if the topic has already been covered.

I'm assuming there are people here who'll be going to the National show in Anaheim in July, it'll be my first time going, so I'm wondering how long is enough time to adequately take in the show (Wed-Sun seems like a lot)? Do they tend to spread the autograph guests out (for people who are into that) over all the days? Do there tend to be any other events, informal or otherwise, that people do while the show is taking place - as much as I'm looking forward to visiting all the booths, is it generally a case of walking around all day at the show then crashing?

Thanks very much for any guidance or any other info. related to the show.

Comments

• fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    I usually go around twice.I can usually cover everything in 1 to 2 days.I do not however spend any time at autograph lines or at corporate sponser booths or any odd ball activity.When I attend I am intrested only in early 60 and before product and memorabilia and older unopened,pre 80.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    First off, welcome to the board!
    IMO 2 days is the max you really need for a show this size, and it could be done in 1 if you had to. I'm assuming you know exactly what you're looking for and what you're willing to pay.
    The autograph guests are spread out thru the show, usually with the key ones on Saturday.
    There are various things going on throughout the show, last year UpperDeck or someone had these screaming pack wars, and someone else had some flipping game. PSA usually has a luncheon for registry participants on the Friday as well.
    The show is really big, and it's easy to see something and then not be able to find it later when you decide you need to go back. I always carry a small pad and make notes on any booths I need to revisit.
    Best of luck, should be a good show!

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• anyone know or have they announced the 2007 show...or a list of major other shows for 2006? Looking for something east of Mississippi....

Thanks!
  • GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    2006 Anaheim
    2007 Cleveland
    2008 I think Anaheim, or maybe Chicago
    2009 I think Chicago or maybe Anaheim. Alternating with the above.

edited to add
    Ft Washington show outside Phil. is this weekend, and then again in May.
    Chicago SunTimes show is June.
    Ft Washington was in Sept and Dec, but they lost the venue so it'll be somewhere else.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Thanks for the welcome, and the feedback all. Is there any advantage to getting there early (the "sneak preview" night and the Thursday/Friday) other than the fact that some of the good stuff may have been bought already?
  • divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭✭✭

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to forum! Do you collect hockey? We're lacking in hockey collectors image

Put yourself on the PSA Board Members Map - Click Here image

- Garret
  • wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

five7teen - welcome.

If you only collect within a narrow range
    then Griffins is correct that you don't need to spend 3 days to see everything you're interested in.

I always do the Wed-Sat and this year I'll probably do the Wed-Sun.
    End up looking through thousands of raw cards trying to find upgrades to my raw sets and gradable cards.

Also, a lot of different cards get put out throughout the days as dealers buy or just unpack stuff.
    So just because you've been to a booth once, doesn't mean you shouldn't check back again the next day.

Figure you'll spend an hour or two each day BSing with dealers and fellow collectors too.

Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"

• << <i>Welcome to forum! Do you collect hockey? We're lacking in hockey collectors image

Put yourself on the PSA Board Members Map - Click Here image

- Garret >>

Did the maple leaf give me away? I'm a Canadian now living in Seattle, and my first collecting love was hockey cards (and the old hockey sticker books - I wish I still had those). I only recently got back into the hobby about a year ago, and now I'm fully hooked again. I collect a little bit of everything right now, haven't narrowed my focus much. I've picked up some really great cards in the last few months, including an '82 TT Ripken in PSA 10.

I'm in the process of collecting Gretzky OPC base cards in 9 or better, and various other things. I just finally got around to sending in a submission under the Set Registry Special today that has 7-8 of the great 1988 Esso All-Stars set, so we'll see what those come back looking like.

Great to be here - thanks again for the warm welcome!
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    5 17

Welcome!

You have some super interests. BTW, nice Rip 10!

On a large show - have you ever been before?

If a show is in the 900 table range with corporate booths - autograph pavillion etc. - it can be quite a task.

So, I do have some rules/suggestions:

1. dress comfortably - ya never know what the temp is gonna be like and comfortable shoes is a must!
    2. have some kind of tote bag if you plan to buy or go for handouts/freebies.
    3. have a pad and pen - for writing down booth numbers that you definitely want a return visit for buying.
    4. recommend a "once over" the entire floor before buying - that way you guard against an impulsive purchase that you will most definitely find cheaper somewhere else! Maybe?
    5. bring your own magnifier and a cheap common card to compare - if you are gonna buy raw - I find that's the easiest way to quickly measure a card.
    6. bring a copy of beckett and perhaps SMR or have a "Wantlist" with the values to compare with what is being sold.
    7. don't be shocked when guys ask for more than ebay!
    8. if available - get a copy of the layout in advance - they will also provide a list of vendors in case you have some favorites.
    9. I recommend you not get caught up in the corporate booths too long - eats up a lot of time - kind of creeps up on you.
    10. getting autos eats up a lot of time! be ready for long lines.

those are just a few ideas
    good luck
    and again Welcome to the Jungle!!!!
    your friend
    mike
    Mike
  • This will be my first national also. Any problem with theft there?? I am going to be carrying way too much cash.

I like the idea of a once over, but what if the cards I want are gone! lol Some sets I collect aren't on ebay that often. image
    Running an Ebay store sure takes a lot more time than a person would think!
  • Wow Stone, thanks for taking the time to post all that - all very good advice. It'll be my first large show in many years, and I'm looking forward to it, and hopefully meeting up with some other collectors as well (at least for a few beers and some stories). I'll probably try to narrow my focus slightly before the show, and I'll definitely have a "want list" and the prices I'm willing to pay, but from what I can tell from the size and scope of this show, I'll probably find a huge number of other things that I didn't even know I wanted! All part of the fun I guess...