Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Risky investment?

Has anyone else seen this '59 Bazooka set that just sold on eBay? Admittedly, it's a great looking and RARE set, but if PSA's standards are to be taken seriously, of grading hand-cut cards, needing to have FULL BORDERS, there's not a ONE of them here that would qualify! Is it really worth the price this guy paid? I don't know how to do the "link" thing, but here's the full web addr from the eBay auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8771469758&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

Comments

• Options
    Link

Steve

to add a link when you open the Message Text Box there is a bunch of buttons below where it says Message Text click the 1st button that is marked http and paste the url in the box that appears instead of into the main message box.
  • Options
    I have zero knowledge about that set.
    Running an Ebay store sure takes a lot more time than a person would think!
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    It is an exceedingly tough set - independent of PSA grading. Finding a high-grade, nice set of Bazooka cards is worth thousands. The seller also has often provided access to some really neat items. With a '59 Bazooka set, you can't just go out and buy one, as they are very rarely found.

I've seen examples from this set, with tabs, cut inside the lines, sell for hundreds of dollars with creases. Levi has an SGC 7 Ernie Banks for $1,250. ScP once had an SGC 88 Mantle for $5k. In December '04, a PSA 'Authentic' Mantle sold for $900

For 23 cards, $11,500 doesn't seem to be too bad, especially when you consider some of the star cards in the set. What do YOU think the set is worth, if you think $11,500 is way too high...?

I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    alinchitown- thanks for the lesson in doing the link thing. I tried to edit my own message to do it, as an experiment, but still couldn't get it to work--when i opened the 'http' box, it just wouldn't let me "paste" anything into it; and even when i tried to manually type it all in, it just stuck it onto the existing body of the message itself! So i just canceled out of the edit.

Anyway, to answer 'mikeschmidt', i went through and added up the SMR value for all of the cards in 'Ex 5', and came up with a figure of $4,750. Keeping in mind that an "Authentic" rating equates to a '3' grade as far as the set registry, so in theory at least, that would make the "book" value much lower than even this--if indeed every card in the set just got an "Authentic", as they would, if PSA sticks to their own standards. It's a tough call on these hand-cut cards, especially on such a rare set--there are currently only 11 in the pop. report, and this doesn't include any that just have the "Authentic" rating. I guess the bottom line is, a set is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it, even if it's not cut very well.
  • Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    Hey, I just realized that the seller, BMW Sportscards is in Madison, Wisconsin. They've always got great stuff, and I had never realized they were located in my former hometown. Does anyone know anything about them? Do they have a store in Madison? I think I've been to all the shops I was aware of, and I've never seen anything like the quality they have in their auctions.
  • Options
    As far as I can tell, none of those cards would grade out in anything more than authentic. I doubt very much if he'd get back 11k for that investement. The mantle is the centerpiece but it would be a crapshoot as to how much someone would be willing to pay for it. I know the last went pretty well but who knows. In my opinion though the 1968 set is much tougher to come by.

Best,

Jim
    Vintage Baseball and Non Sports Collector
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I have a question. Who decided that cutouts had to be cut outside the dotted lines and why? Is it so the cards could only be cut 1x, and thus not trimmed again to fix problems? back in the day we used to cut cards from box bottoms or panels no mention between hobby enthusiasts was ever made of this. Is this a PSA rule that David Hall decided on?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Maybe the seller knew the cards would not get more than an "authentic" from PSA and that is why they are raw. The item description does not even suggest sending them to get graded. If they could be graded, you would think the seller would have had them graded.
    Kosmo
  • Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have a question. Who decided that cutouts had to be cut outside the dotted lines and why? Is it so the cards could only be cut 1x, and thus not trimmed again to fix problems? back in the day we used to cut cards from box bottoms or panels no mention between hobby enthusiasts was ever made of this. Is this a PSA rule that David Hall decided on?

Steve >>

I *completely* agree. We were, afterall, taught to "cut on the lines" weren't we? They should know what the sizes were, based on the dotted lines, and THAT should be the standard.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I have a question. Who decided that cutouts had to be cut outside the dotted lines and why? Is it so the cards could only be cut 1x, and thus not trimmed again to fix problems? back in the day we used to cut cards from box bottoms or panels no mention between hobby enthusiasts was ever made of this. Is this a PSA rule that David Hall decided on?

Steve >>

I *completely* agree. We were, afterall, taught to "cut on the lines" weren't we? They should know what the sizes were, based on the dotted lines, and THAT should be the standard. >>

Pehaps, they always say to cut along the dotted lines. I'm sure the seller knew those cards were nothing more than authentic. The question is, did the buyer know or does he even care. I know I would if I were spending that kind of cash.

Best,

Jim
    Vintage Baseball and Non Sports Collector
  • Options
    my goodness this guy has some high dollar stuff...I mean $25K and $20K CHECKLISTS...

link
  • Options
    not a junk dealer, that's for sure.
    Running an Ebay store sure takes a lot more time than a person would think!
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I'm sure the seller knew those cards were nothing more than authentic.

What else does the seller and buyer need to know? Is not authentic what we as collectors want? I know you are inferring that they are ungradeable numerically , but that goes to the crux of my question. Just because PSA created a standard does not mean it is the final say. just final in psa world I suppose
    I guess if one wanted to have the added artificial benifit of a numerical grade attached to those cards to enhance their percieved value then I again ask why was this policy created?

As they are, both the buyer and seller valued them at over 10 grand.

As long as they are proper sized IMO the dotted line crapola we have been fed is just that crapola.

Steve
    Good for you.