Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

So is Ebay traffic slow or what?

So is it just my imaginaton or has Ebay gotten quiet this month? I've been able to really nab some bargains, but on the other hand, I'm afraid to list some of my choice stuff for fear that it will become someone else's "bargain".

I wish Ebay would release some of its statistics so we wouldn't have to rely upon anecdotal evidence - but since it won't, anecdotal evidence it is.

In regards to Sports Memorabilia (Baseball especially), do you think that Feb is an off month?

Also, will things pick up in April when the season opens?

Comments

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    The set I collect is certaintly not cool.

What year(s) are you talking about? Ebay in general?

FEB is tax time and heating bills are up. that could be a reason.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    jskirwin, I have noticed the same thing with sets and a player collection that Im working on, plus the rookie that Im collecting was recently touted as a "prime" prospect for the team he plays on, and still I've been getting great deals on his cards (about 30% price drop on some of his rarer cards). I've also seen a drop on some of the sets I've been completing, snagging autos at about 25-50% less than 90 days ago. Im happy, but I'm also leary to to list anything as Im noticing the same trend. Good to see that there are others who are noticing this and feel the same way.
  • Options
    jskirwinjskirwin Posts: 700 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The set I collect is certaintly not cool.

What year(s) are you talking about? Ebay in general?

FEB is tax time and heating bills are up. that could be a reason.

Steve >>

Right now I'm focused on building 70-72 plus upgrading stars from the '70s. While SMR isn't perfect, it can be used as a relative guide. Most of what I'm looking at has rarely gone over 1/2 of SMR. Of course since I often bid that, I've been spending WAAAAY too much money.
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    I set record LOWS for PSA 8 55 tops. Ones that were selling for 80+ dollars consitently went for 43$ and 46$ image
  • Options
    Taxes go both ways as a lot get "disposable income" back from Uncle sam....I have a relative who sells cars and from late Jan to late March is like Christmas to auto dealers.....a lot like retail as they have to hang on from April to December though...
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    I can't speak for others but I know I have spent about 50% of my annual card budget already! I better raise my annual budget so I can keep this pace up!
  • Options
    Last night, I had my snipe set at $18.80 and won a card for .99 cents. I have been winning so many auctions for the opening bid, I am getting in over my head. Hard to turn down PSA 9 Kelloggs, Hostess and O Pee chees for $4.99 each. Too bad everything is being listed at once.
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Something is definitely going on. I got an incredible deal on some stuff last night. I also remember it was about last year at this time when I picked up a 1957 BVG 7.5 Mantle for $895 that crossed to a PSA 8.
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    scooter729scooter729 Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭
    I just picked up a T201 Ty Cobb card yesterday on ebay that was a PSA 3 for less than half of the PSA 4 price. That's a good deal in my book, considering it seemed like a pretty strong 3...

• Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭
    In football, a PSA 8 1957 Topps Tommy McDonald just sold for $665..SMR is $80...Last one sold a few months ago in the $300 range...

I'm still waiting for the football "off-season" so i can nab some deals..But so far, no dice...

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

<< <i>In football, a PSA 8 1957 Topps Tommy McDonald just sold for $665..SMR is $80...Last one sold a few months ago in the $300 range...

I'm still waiting for the football "off-season" so i can nab some deals..But so far, no dice...

Jason >>

Holy cow! The McDonald is a pop of 30 in 8's also. What do 7's go for?
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions