Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Shameless plug for me Part 2

After a whirlwind spending tour since the beginning of the year I have gone from 50% of the 1966 Topps Baseball in PSA 9 or better to over 60% after the mailman came today. Even if only one person on this board appreciates this it will be one more than in my household.

That still leaves me at #12, but I should be in top 10 by the end of summer.

My brother-in-law who collects asked me how much I have spent on this set. My answer is I don't know, and I don't want to know. I am sure others have given that response on their quests.

Comments

• Options
    Czar,

It will be quite the feat to maintain a high set rating (9.0) as you get closer to completion. The 1966 set has many difficult factors, including a) The thin white borders, with many of the cards being cut in a tilt, b) there has never been a large vending find like the 65, 67 and 68 sets and c) you have to compete with the deep pockets of PC32, Darcey’sdad and the grand daddy of them all “Member632636” (or something along those lines).

This set was my primary set as a child and have thought about pursuing this one, but a true high grade set will probably set you back $75,000 - $100,000 or more.

Good Luck!

Mark
    Link to my current Ebay auctions

"If I ever decided to do a book, I've already got the title-The Bases Were Loaded and So Was I"-Jim Fregosi
  • Options
    theczartheczar Posts: 1,590 ✭✭
    Thanks Mark,
    I agree with your assessment of the set. PC32 actually sold off his collection about a year ago to Mickey's Sportcards. It ended up on Mastronet in singles, pieces and good sized chunks and netted about $84,000. Darcy's dad has taken some time away from the set, but #Member12345 is still out there, and he is building a second set so the prices do get up there.
    I still have 240 cards to go so that is a monumental task.

Frank
  • Options
    I guess I forgot that PC32 sold his set. Maybe he’s trying to spark some interest back into the 1966 set. I noticed he has a bid on the 1966 PSA 10 on ebay. Oh well.

Good Luck with your quest and you’re already on the homeward stretch.

Mark
    Link to my current Ebay auctions

"If I ever decided to do a book, I've already got the title-The Bases Were Loaded and So Was I"-Jim Fregosi
  • Options

<< <i>Even if only one person on this board appreciates this it will be one more than in my household. >>

I believe that is the number one value of this board - the mutual support (and admiration). Quite the feat that you have already accomplished, and still strive to complete. Congratulations!!!

BTW, a scan now and then of some of your more worthy aquisitions would be appreciated...
    << image >>
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    PC worked on that set for years, and I still have a vision of him hunched over binders at dealers tables for hours- getting to the point he got was a long process.
    Congrats on hitting 60% at such a high level- hope you stick with it and finish it!

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    I agree - nice job! I also was pursuing this set for a while, and stopped around 25% or so last year. A lot of my nicest cards (9's and 10's) now reside with the aforementioned member#123456 and Darcy'sDad via Ebay. It's a tough set, but I thought that the competition level would be lower because it is not as popular as other 60's sets...but, I was certainly wrong. In addition to those two, Mickey's was bidding hard for low pop 9's and certain 10's last year (maybe for someone?). I decided that the big monster set is better left to others, and I am taking the player set / smaller set route. But, I sure respect your achievement czar!
  • Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    Congrats...but where's the eye candy? Show 'em off!!
  • Options
    ok here is where i show my score of 6 on the c/u message board wonderlic test.

i have a scanner and sold items on ebay so i am familiar with that process. my question is what is the easiest way to upload some scans on to this board. i am certain that i am missing something very simple. if someone could clue me in, i would be happy to show off some scans.

thanks
  • Options
    go to link

sign up for a free account, takes about 15 seconds...upload pics and then click on the picture frame button (between the U and http) and paste the link of that picture from imagecave into the box and wa la, you have pics we can all see...

or attach them...(click on Attach files and follow the directions)
  • Options
    Here are some of my recent additions
    (Thanks a bundle sandman for clueing me in. I truly appreciate it) image

• Options
    BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭
    Wow, those are some great cards!!

Best of luck on the rest of your set, keep the pics coming!!

shawn
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    czar

Now we're talkin!!!

Very nice - the Raymond is off the chart - in fact, scans don't do this card justice!

I started that set in Ex 15 yrs ago and never got near completion.

Your effort is "otherworldly!"

I remember around 1990, when Tuff Stuff rated the set as one of the most boring that Topps ever did!

I disagree - the simplicity is the charm!

This is one of my best 66T cards and pales in comparison - as it was said - centering is a big issue!

Mike
  • Options
    thanks big red and stone for your kind words.

Tufff Stuff doesn't know what to talk about since Michael Jordan retired, except bobbleheads. That was probably in the time period when they made the 1990 UD Ben McDonald error card, the must have card. Jim Rome probably wrote that column.

For anyone to knock any vintage set as boring is idiotic. I wish I could afford the 1964-1969, plus the Philadelphia FB cards. You don't know how many times a nice 1965 or 1967 came on E-Bay and I wanted to pull the trigger.

The 1966 set lacks the superstar rookie card like Tom Seaver and Nolan Ryan the next two years, although I think ryan actually pitched in the majors in 1966. also no Carlton leaving Palmer, Jenkins and Sutton as the key rookies. Still has Willie Mays as #1 an Gaylord Perry as the last card so argueably the best player ever as #1 and a HOF at the end makes it more expensive.

I truly believe the 1960's are the golden age of cards. Each Topps set has to have at least 30 HOFers, plus you throw in those League Leaders and they have great players on them too. I guess it really matters when you grew up. I know there are 1950's collectors and pre WWII who have great memories growing up with those years. Don't want to get too mushy, but remembering opening these packs 40 years ago gives me fond memories. Who can forget the smell of that gum!

I'll get this set finished one day.
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Great cards! I agree, if you opened these packs at one time, it makes collecting the set 40 years later that much more fun. It's the reason why I collect the lowly 1979 set in graded form - it was the first set I opened from packs as a kid.

Thanks for the scans!
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Czar

I also like the Morgan, Rose and Koufax cards from the set.

And don't forget all that cool comic art on the back!

Unfortunately, I only go back to 1967 - for an example of the pen and ink that Topps did for their cards.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Here are some of my recent additions
    (Thanks a bundle sandman for clueing me in. I truly appreciate it) image

>>

If I can make a request, I'd love to see some of the league leader cards. I love the 66 leaders, as they've got an incredible lineup of HoFers with large pictures, clean design and great photos.

Thanks for sharing your great set.
  • Options
    One word: SWEET.

Were these recently pulled from wax, or have they been kept in immaculate condition all these years!?
  • Options
    i got the altman and howard from dsl and the other 10's from cardmrchnt6ta4 on E-bay. I still have this one coming. Randy Hundley/Bill Hands Rookie Card

As mentioned in another post he is a great seller. I asked him without trying to get too much in his business where he gets his product. He told me his son goes throughout the country buying nice raw product. That would a fun job for a while. How much trash would you have to see before you get a nice lot of 9's and 10's?

Itzagoner has sold me a few too, along with zukeepr, amunsoncubby, dhcards, and legacysports.

I will post some league leaders down the road. I make a monthly pilgramage to the safe deposit box at the bank to keep the nice cards there. I am not afraid of theft as much as fire. Since the cards are registered with PSA someone would have break open the case and have them regraded to not get caught. A fire would be disastrous to say the least. I still would lose 250 cards that time wise would be a pain to replace. Next visit I will get some league leaders to post

The set is not that rare. There are over 4300 PSA 9's and 10's which I consider a lot.

Thanks,
    Frank