Options

Hey dgf, any new photos to share?

I always enjoy seeing them.
EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions

Comments

• Options
    Jordan,
    Great to hear from you. I love to put up photos. I put up some stuff a couple of weeks ago and thought nobody checked 'em out so I figured folks got tired of 'em. I have been working this morning on THIS one all morning. It was so dirty and was close to deceased. I took samples of the sky-tones and digitally restored the breaks in color and dirt deposits to smooth the background. Then, I blurred the grains in the color-tones, sampled them and made the colors restored as they actually were. That is Rod Carew bending down catching the ball and I love the vendor.
    I love restoring these images and creating art. It's so much fun it shouldn't be allowed. I honestly don't know of another image of the old "Met" scoreboard from post 1966.
    I'll put more up later.
    Phil
  • Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

Very cool Phil. It seems fun and I can tell your passionate about it. Looking forward to more later.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    That's a great old shot. Classic americana.
  • Options
    Here's one from the family album of goodies...this one is so clean, it can go up to poster-size and still look colorful and focused. I'll be adding this one to the OSI catalog this Spring...should do well here in Chicago???

Clark & Addison, Chicago 1962
  • Options
    Also, I just added this original slide...my newest addition. This will be insane in oversized format. This bad-boy in 20x30 would just kill! I'll start with a 12x18 and go from there.

Here's the "underwear guy" himself getting ready to fire...

Baltimore Memorial Stadium, 1973
  • Options
    That Palmer pic looks like it could have been a Sports Illustrated poster that would have been on my wall then.
  • Options

Great stuff. "The underware guy" image

I love that picture of Wrigley.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    DGF,
    any yankees pics? i'm looking for something 8x10 size that can be matted. maybe something with ruth and/or dimaggio, or mantle on it.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options

Phil-

I just saw the Kittle pics on Steve's sight. Those are awesome too! I like the one with he and Ripken.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭
    great! More carew photos!

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    ROCKDJRWROCKDJRW Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭
    Please don't think we will get sick of seeing these! Post them anytime you get a chance. Thanks for sharing!
    Collect Ozzie Guillen Cards
    Unique Chicago Cards
    Wrestling Cards
  • Options
    Hey Phil-

I am using the pic of Wrigley as my wallpaper! Its a beauty.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    That'll be .11 cents Just donate it to my favorite charity. The OPC fund allows over-zealous bidders the opportunity to get out of paying for their items and sellers the opportunity to recoup some of the lost margin. It's an imperfect system but so is the whole decimal thing---I'm sorry, I just can't let it go. It's still too funny.

I'm glad you really like the Wrigley slide. I think the colors are unreal. The image is truly unusual. I can't think of another photo of that quality--or any quality--of the early 60's exterior of Wrigley. The blue is crazy!

Anyway, I'll put up some pictures of some Carew, Ozzie and some quarterbacks that I have recently added. All 5 of these images are 4-star quality...the best you can get. Depth, color and the ability to be blown up to monster sizes without losing clarity.

dgf
  • Options

1976 Bert Jones in Baltimore VS. Pittsburgh
    This print is limited to 20 copies available in oversized (5x7 & larger).
  • Options

<< <i>That'll be .11 cents Just donate it to my favorite charity. The OPC fund allows over-zealous bidders the opportunity to get out of paying for their items and sellers the opportunity to recoup some of the lost margin. It's an imperfect system but so is the whole decimal thing---I'm sorry, I just can't let it go. It's still too funny.

I'm glad you really like the Wrigley slide. I think the colors are unreal. The image is truly unusual. I can't think of another photo of that quality--or any quality--of the early 60's exterior of Wrigley. The blue is crazy!

Anyway, I'll put up some pictures of some Carew, Ozzie and some quarterbacks that I have recently added. All 5 of these images are 4-star quality...the best you can get. Depth, color and the ability to be blown up to monster sizes without losing clarity.

dgf >>

I believe I have already donated to that fundimage

And for the image, it is simply a moment captured in time. It is rare a photo can truely relay that feeling but this one, and a few others you have given us, actually due. It is impressive when I see that and can smell the peanuts, feel the exhaust from the cars and hear the police whistling pedestrians to cross Clark St.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options

Here's an Old School Classic. Titled: Staubach. Edition limited to 50.
  • Options

<< <i>It is rare a photo can truely relay that feeling but this one, and a few others you have given us, actually due. It is impressive when I see that and can smell the peanuts, feel the exhaust from the cars and hear the police whistling pedestrians to cross Clark St.

>>

Can I use this in a brochure? That is awesome that you get that vibe too! Is it because we both have lived there? I used to be at 533 W. Barry. We walked to the ballpark daily. I get the exhaust and police feel as well. Thanks for sharing and your donation was noted. If fact, you were more than generous in your support. Thanks again!

dgf
  • Options
    Just awesome. I have a nice group from this 1971 game vs. Miami in the Orange Bowl in the original boxes. This is a gem that looks fabulous in 12x18.
    This one is just about sold-out as only four copies remain. When those are gone...they're gone. This thread will be--from a public perspective--the last place to see this image. If anyone wants a copy email me at oldschool.images@yahoo.com and specify the size.
  • Options
    This small image does not do justice to the clarity and detail of this picture. This is a 3D-like image that explodes in your hands. You can see every detail in Rod's face and can practically smell the pinetar. My best Carew to date. This one was just printed and made available last Friday for the first time in 5x7 & 8x12. The 12x18 will look incredible, I believe, when I scale up a touch. The image can easily handle it. Really strong!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>It is rare a photo can truely relay that feeling but this one, and a few others you have given us, actually due. It is impressive when I see that and can smell the peanuts, feel the exhaust from the cars and hear the police whistling pedestrians to cross Clark St.

>>

Can I use this in a brochure? That is awesome that you get that vibe too! Is it because we both have lived there? I used to be at 533 W. Barry. We walked to the ballpark daily. I get the exhaust and police feel as well. Thanks for sharing and your donation was noted. If fact, you were more than generous in your support. Thanks again!

dgf >>

Sure you can use it. Most of the time its just useless drivel but once in a while I put together a coherent thought. And I still live on W. Barry! A few blocks west of 533 but I can't wait till April to walk to the park for a ballgame.

Love the Staubach and Bradshaw too. I betya Staubach is saying to his linemen, "You see the mud on my knee? DON'T LET THAT HAPPEN AGAIN!"
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options

Old School Oz!
  • Options

<< <i>I betya Staubach is saying to his linemen, "You see the mud on my knee? DON'T LET THAT HAPPEN AGAIN!"

>>

He was quite a taskmaster. He's like to DiMaggio of football to me.
  • Options

Shameless plug for my eBay auctions..."pack-fresh"
  • Options
    Awesome card!
  • Options
    Great pix. Love that Wrigley shot. If I was a Cub's fan I would buy it! That Ozzie is at Dodger Stadium I think? Reminds me, can you post the Garvey you mentioned?
  • Options
    Yep...Dodger Stadium. I have quite a few visiting players around the cage from 1981-1983.
    Here's Mr. Garvey in Wrigley field in 1976. I'm not sure it matters, but it was a four-hit game.

• Options
    Nice pic. How much for an 8 x 10 or so? A few empty seats behind him?
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    those images are insane dgf!

i feel like the kid who didn't belong to yearbook club but got see all photos taken!

those pictures are all psa 10's!!

Julen
    RIP GURU
  • Options

That Ozzie is sweet. I love those old Padres uni's!
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    DGF--question for you:

I purchased a handful of slides off of Ebay a month ago from a seller who bought them from the Fleer auction. The pic below was one of them. How do I go about getting 8 X 10's or 16 X 20's made up?

Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I enjoyed the pics immensely!

mike
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>How much for an 8 x 10 or so? >>

Great question. Many have emailed and asked and I have told me I should post it here as many do not even know the images are available.

As always it depends on the edition size. There are "Open Editions" which are just what that implies. Available indefinately at a set price. There are "Limited Editions" which are set at particular numbers ahead of time and are more costly. There are also "Classic Images" which are pre-set at an amount that will be offered and become increasingly expensive based on demand and amount remaining in the issue. Classics are only produced in oversized format (8x12 and larger).

Prices are:
    OPEN EDITIONS
    5x7 12.00 each or 5+ at 10.00 each.
    8x12 20.00 each
    12x18 35.00 each
    Larger email or call for quote.

LIMITED EDITIONS (Limited to 25 prints)
    5x7 15.00 each.
    8x12 25.00
    12x18 40.00
    Larger email or call for quote.

CLASSIC EDITIONS (Print amounts vary)
    5x7 Unavailable
    8x12 35.00
    12x18 50.00
    20x30 125.00

These prices are subject to change. I have tried to give some of the guys on here price breaks as I appreciate everyone's interest. I like to share these as I'm very excited about my new hobby/business. The thing to remember is that some of these images are really expensive to pry away from a photographer and a lot of restoration may go into the final product. They are only available through Old School Images in varying amounts. In addition, I only use gallery-quality crystal-matte finsihed photo paper that is as expensive as it gets. It's quality stuff. In addition, when an upgrade becomes available for your image (I'm always working on them to improve the quality through the use of different applications/filters/etc.) you will recieve it free of charge (less shipping). The prices here depict quality of work and rarity of the subject. I do not use Costco or Drug-store quality equipment or expertise. I want to offer first-class quality and service. I recognize that the type of collector who is interested in dropping $40 on an Alan Wiggins picture wants something pretty special. Last week, I shipped out a Dave Kingman and a Joe Charboneau to fellow board members. The Charboneau resulted in the best email I have ever had. The buyer said it was quality beyond anything he'd ever seen for the type of "Underground" photo it was. He immediately requested a larger one and placed an order for four other prints. That is what I want for everyone. The Kingman is good right now, but I feel can be made better with some more intricate work. I will be beginning that work shortly and that buyer will get an upgraded print if we can improve it. I went for clarity first. Sometimes that costs you color and warmth. Now, I'm going to rebuild the color one pixel at a time and see if it will look natural or super-imposed. I think I have a new tool which will make the process possible--we'll see.
  • Options
    I saw that slide and just forgot when it closed and missed it. You got that one pretty cheap thanks to my falling asleep at the wheel.
    To make attractive prints, some cleaning and restoration may have to be made. Is that a Sauritch or Ponzini image? That will tell me a lot about the cleanliness.
    You'll first have to have them scanned at a high resolution and get them stored as a bitmap or tif. The files are large and clumsy, but you'll need the strength to go big without losing color density and getting a grainy appearance.
    Once you've got your scanned image, you'll need to have the color adjusted to your liking (make sure you know what you're doing here). You'll want to add adaptive lighting or turn the brightness down, while bumping up the contrast. That's how you make the image look alive. It gives it separation and allows the highlights to stand out. You may need to make necessary texture adjustments (Sharpen/dull) to ensure the image will stay together at a larger size.
    In photoshop7 you can actually lighten the face of an image without effecting the rest of the image. Be careful, however, as you can make the head look super-imposed. Funny--but NOT attractive. The image you have shown here is a touch pink. The saturation is fine. Just lightly blue-filter it and the dirt will look like dirt and the color on their sleeves will standout from the flesh-tones and give some separation and clarity to the faces.
    You can buy a quality scanner for 6-7 hundred bucks and a quality image-editor for 2-3 hundred. So, basically, you can go with 1K and do it yourself -or- you can pay to have it done at a photo-lab. Long-term choose option 1. Short-term option 2.
    I hope this helps. I would welcome a trade of images as well as offer to do the enlargement you want. You would send me the slide and I'll bring it to my effects lab. I would keep a print for my work and you'll get your slide(s) returned with your images. You could expect a 10 day turn-around for standard sizes and corrections. Email me at oldschool.images@yahoo.com to discuss it further.

dgf
  • Options
    The Garvey, BTW, is an Open Edition. The Ozzie, Carew, Bradshaw and Jones are Limited. The Staubach is a Classic that will be very short-printed. That item would be insane signed! The Wrigley will be Classic as well as the Metropolitan scoreboard when they become available.

Again, the 1969 JOHNNY BENCH is available for a limited time only on eBAy this week image
  • Options

Only three Bradshaws left today. Thanks to Brian for your order (12x18) and congrats on the Steelers championship again this year.

dgf
  • Options
    Phil- I got my Kingman yesterday and showed it off to another sports fan here in my office. I am not a Kingman "fan" but love the photo, the players, the less than obvious stuff (Horner at 3rd, Murphy behind the plate, ball in the air, etc...), and am excited to put it up in my home office! It is just a great photo and thanks so much for taking the care to do it right! I will order a Garvey for sure. I will email you. I am thinking about one of those 1962 Wrigley Field shots even though I am not a Cub's fan. THANK YOU!
  • Options

<< <i> I am thinking about one of those 1962 Wrigley Field shots even though I am not a Cub's fan. THANK YOU! >>

NO!!!!!! Cub fans only!

EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    I'm very happy you like it. I've got some things in the works to improve it. I hope I can. I'm fanatical about the quality of the photos the same way I am with cards.
    Thanks again,
    PA
  • Options

Phil,

Can you do the same things to negatives as opposed to slides?
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    is bradshaw wearing a chinstrap in that image?

i love him in cannonball run....

julen
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    Jordan,
    Sure. It's a little more work, but the results are similar. The best way to go for large prints is slides, but negatives will work. It's a different scan technique and takes a bit more time is all. Do you have some cool negatives? If you get started--it's addictive.
    PA