Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

World Coin Prices

What sources do you use? I want to buy a set of A - Z catalogues. Anything better than something else?

Thanks,

Jerry

Comments

• Options
    The Standard Catalog of World Coins by Krause covers the whole world in editions for each century.
    Brad Swain

World Coin & PM Collector
    My Coin Info Pages <> My All Experts Profile
  • Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately for world coin collectors, the Krause catalogues are "the only boat afloat". There were a couple of others whole-world catalogue-makers years ago (Craig and Yeoman come to mind) but Krause is the only one around these days.
    Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>the only boat afloat >>

And they're as big as a boat too. Plus depending on how far you want to go back, you have to get multiple catalogs. I just got a new one for 1901+. The old one is going to get ripped up a bit so I can carry smaller chunks of it with me when I go to a store or show (not that I get to do that much). I'd pay a chunk of change for a Palm compatible one...I wonder how much memory that would take?

• Options
    Thanks! So Krause it is.

Jerry
  • Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    Not to put too fine a point on it, but for PRICING, Krause is often useless.

A lot of the time you'll need to do your own research to find what something's really worth. Here's a good resource I often use: CoinArchives.com
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)