Home Metal Detecting
Options

awesome find

i went to a gas station this evening and i looked in the give a penny dish and found a 1943 d lincoln steel wheat cent.

gene2393

Comments

• Options
    damn... thats strange. must have been put there on purpose
  • Options
    gene2393gene2393 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭
    idk i had to take a second look at it. maybe someone just through it in there not knowing.

gene2393
  • Options
    I thought about doing stuff like that; planting them in coin trays. I have over 700 steel pennies and I hardly ever look at them.
    imageimage
  • Options
    would you be interested in selling your steel pennies?

gene2393
  • Options
    What would you do with 750 steel pennies?
    imageimage
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got one from the penny dish in a convenience store, once, and MINE was a 1943-S, so nyah nyah. image

It was all rusty crusty and hideous, though. image

No doubt that's how mine ended up in the "take a penny" dish.

Twice I've gotten steelies in change, but both times they were dark and ugly, so I guess somebody mistook them for nasty modern zincs.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    i went through some penny rools from the bank aobut a year ago and i found 2 steel pennies in one roll. one of the steel pannies had some sort of ink or polish on the odbverse that made it hard to tell what it was, but the reverse was mos likely in ms-60 form, it looked like it was made yesterday.the other one was worn but it had all the original designs and the rim was gone. but they were both real good finds.

gene2393
  • Options
    i would add them to my collection and probably plae them in cards and maybe if i find some good ones send them off to be graded.

gene2393
  • Options
    I'll think about it. I'm a hoarder. I've never sold a single coin. They usually go into my collection and stay there.
    imageimage
  • Options
    alright well when ever you decide what it is you will decide. just write me an email at hot_rod_2004525@hotmail.com
    well i will like to hear from you but until next time.

gene2393
  • Options
    Me and Cladiator hunted an old school once and before we left we planted a vile of about 30 wheaties for some other detectorist to find and get his jollys off of...I am sooooo naughtyyyyyyyyy...lol

Northern California
    Minelab Sovereign GT with 180 meter and Sunray probe.
  • Options
    << Me and Cladiator hunted an old school once and before we left we planted a vile of about 30 wheaties for some other detectorist to find and get his jollys off of...I am sooooo naughtyyyyyyyyy...lol >>

Agile, that’s better than burying metal objects that say, “Get A Life.” I heard a comedian say that he liked to do that.
    imageimage
  • Options
    where did you hide those wheats at. i need to look there maybe i can find one. we did finally find one this weekend. our first one. we did find a coin the size of a silver dollar after we cleaned it we found a ky drivers liscense from 1956. its the best thing we have found. my son and i. later greg
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I found a steel penny in the High School parking lot that I walk after practice looking for found money. Mine was a Plain so I guess we have a set now.
  • Options
    yeah sorry it has taken me so long to relpy. it looks like we have a set of steel cents. image

gene2393
  • Options
    I'll tell ya whats even more fun...copper plate them with a battery, salt water and a copper cent before 1982.....THEN put them in circulation.....image
  • Options
    phutphut Posts: 1,087

<< <i>give a penny dish >>

I hope you made it a 'Take a penny dish'image
  • Options
    goossengoossen Posts: 492 ✭✭

<< <i>I'll tell ya whats even more fun...copper plate them with a battery, salt water and a copper cent before 1982.....THEN put them in circulation.....image >>

My coins with pictures: http://www.paraguaycoins.com/
  • Options
    marymmarym Posts: 713
    Ok, I give up! Whathappens you battery, salt and cent prior to 82?? I feel like such a dummy for having to ask!
    Be Still and Know
  • Options
    zrlevinzrlevin Posts: 734 ✭✭✭
    If you set it up right, the copper penny will electroplate the steel one, making it an incredibly rare 1943 copper cent, although it would be fake.

Here's an article on copperplating:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electroplating
    Zach