I retired my all-time finest 1969 Topps Super set

Wondo's All-Time Finest

It will be going up on ebay over the next month by piece. It was fun! image
Wondo

Comments

• Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Wondo's All-Time Finest

It will be going up on ebay over the next month by piece. It was fun! image >>

So what was hold time on the set? Six months or so...?
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    DavalilloDavalillo Posts: 1,846 ✭✭
    It was fun!??!!

You just bought it--the quickest flip in the history of card collecting.

Last time I looked at that set Bob had it and was number 1.
  • Options
    WondoWondo Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

So what was hold time on the set? Six months or so...? >>

I bought Mr.Earharts set and upgraded three missing cards- it was fun!! image
    Wondo

• Options

<< <i>

So what was hold time on the set? Six months or so...? >>

Five with upgrades! image
    Wondo

• Options
    Boy, I wouldn't be able to retire that puppy yet. I would HAVE to get that Mays 10 to complete it. But, that's just me! image

Good luck with the sale!
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options

<< <i>Boy, I wouldn't be able to retire that puppy yet. I would HAVE to get that Mays 10 to complete it. But, that's just me! image

Good luck with the sale! >>

ArnyVee: Having worked on this set for a few years back in the 1998-2002 timeframe, I can tell you that Mays will be very tough to get a 10. A majority of the PSA 9s have a print cloud on it - and that, more than anything else, is the reason that this card has never had a 10 graded, despite 32 9s - and a set that doesn't have corners.

I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    Understood....but, to be that close (1 card away from a 10.0) and then sell it off? Sheesh....seems like I wouldn't give up until I had it done.

Schmitty, what do these cards normally go for in PSA 9 or 10?
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options

<< <i>Understood....but, to be that close (1 card away from a 10.0) and then sell it off? Sheesh....seems like I wouldn't give up until I had it done.

Schmitty, what do these cards normally go for in PSA 9 or 10? >>

Depends - the Mantle is the key, obviously. But this is one of those sets where almost every example ever graded is 9 or 10. I'm exaggerating a bit - but it is really tough to find examples less than PSA 8. I think Wondo bought his set, sans upgrades, for about $18k or so. I could be wrong on the number. Ungraded, the set typically goes for between $5k and $8k. Bob Earhart had the world's nicest set for a long time - but there have been a lot of raw sets to surface. You need an 8.8 GPA to even crack the Registry Top 10. A lot of the big players don't seem to be spending serious money to upgrade their 9s to 10s for this set - perhaps keys in 10 and that's it. It will be curious to see how Wondo does on break value versus buying the set.

~ms
  • Options
    I noticed that the #1 card, McNally, couple of weeks ago went for $1600+ in PSA 10. Wow!

PSA 10 McNally for $1600+

I had never looked into these and had no idea they were so sought after. Thanks Schmitty!
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    It is a great set. Wondo has asked me to handle the eBay sale for him. We will see what these cards bring as we are starting all cards low and letting the market decide what they are worth. We have a Mickey Mantle in PSA 9 out there now and it is doing very well as you can imagine.

<Understood....but, to be that close (1 card away from a 10.0) and then sell it off? Sheesh....seems like I wouldn't give up until I had it done.>

Personally I might have waited until I got that *2006 thingy next to my set name in the All Time Finest list before I sold. But now someone else will get that honor...
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Understood....but, to be that close (1 card away from a 10.0) and then sell it off? Sheesh....seems like I wouldn't give up until I had it done.

Schmitty, what do these cards normally go for in PSA 9 or 10? >>

Depends - the Mantle is the key, obviously. But this is one of those sets where almost every example ever graded is 9 or 10. I'm exaggerating a bit - but it is really tough to find examples less than PSA 8. I think Wondo bought his set, sans upgrades, for about $18k or so. I could be wrong on the number. Ungraded, the set typically goes for between $5k and $8k. Bob Earhart had the world's nicest set for a long time - but there have been a lot of raw sets to surface. You need an 8.8 GPA to even crack the Registry Top 10. A lot of the big players don't seem to be spending serious money to upgrade their 9s to 10s for this set - perhaps keys in 10 and that's it. It will be curious to see how Wondo does on break value versus buying the set.

~ms >>

MikeSchmidt,

As usual your analysis is right on. As I told you a few months ago, I originally bought the set to break, but when I got it from Memory Lane at about$23k, I decided to pursue the three possible upgrades to Mr. Earhart's set. The three cards were McNally, Chance and Marichal. I bought the Marichal in a lot from Mastro and worked a trade with another board member for the two "commons". Anyway, it WILL be interesting to see how the break comes out. image My guess is that I will have just under $29k into the set with lot buying/selling off and trade allowances. Stay tuned! image
    Wondo

• Options
    flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    it will be very interesting to see what the break brings. There is always the curiosity as to whether a set is worth more or less as singles or as a set. Need 13 HOFs to complete my set...will never get to that ranking, but maybe close(mams '69 super set) . I have too many collecting interests to concentrate on a truly hi-grade set. But, I did pick up a really nice unopened pack of the '69 Supers from Sportscards Plus a few years back. Not many of those floating around.