Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

New from Westford MA Show - Morgan 1904-O MS64 DMPL. opinions? and a VAM question.....

OneyOney Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭✭
This coin has great eye appeal. It is accurately graded in my opinion. The question is I know it is a VAM but can not identify which one. The OL on the reverse is pitted and the lips have strong clashes....anyone?

imageimage
Brian

Comments

• Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Pretty!! I believe it is a VAM 5Aimage
    Becky
  • Options
    The pitted OL reverse die has currently been matched with VAM 1, VAM 4, and VAM 5 obverse dies.

The fact that the coin is a DMPL tells me that the dies were polished after the die clash to remove the damage, so there probably isn't any clashed lettering transfer still visible.

At this point you would need to conclusively identify which obverse die the coin has in order to determine the VAM number.

The reverse die is already known to be a C4a with pitting in OL.

It's a nice strong DMPL that appears accurately graded. A nice coin indeed.
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    The images are gone but I know I bought 2 of the NGC DMPLs from Heritage that were repolished VAM-4B. A lot of the clashing was still there remarkably. Someone obviously had a roll of them and they have been going through Heritage internet sales for months with very slowly declining reserves. Someone made good money on those.

My wife sniped a nice 28A DMPL (PCGS 64DMPL to be exact) for basically common money for me while I was in Orange County yesterday. Looks like 1904-O is a decent date for interesting clashed PL varieties.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file