Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Feedback Advice Needed

I put a notification in every auction that I run on eBay that all bidders with less than 10 feedback must first email me to receive my permission to bid, or I will cancel their bids. I mainly do this to show my regular customers that I run good, clean auctions.

Lately, there's been a problem

Bidders with low feedback now snipe my auctions, and since the bids are placed so late and I don't have time to cancel them, I am stuck. My question:

do I have the right to not sell the item to the non-approved, low-feedback winner?

I especially feel bad for my regulars, who are in the lead until the end, and they get bumped out by a zero bidder. I hate the way that looks, or, the way that it could be perceived.

The latest example is auction 8770529417, which just ended last night.

Thanks!

Nick

Comments

• Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nick:

IMO, if you say you will cancel their bids - but don't/can't because of sniping - and - don't say that you reserve the right to not sell to low feedback bidders - you are likely obligated to complete the transaction.

Consider using the features when listing your auction that allow you to block those with a negative rating and those without a paypal account instead.

Or change your language - but consider that we all started as zero & low feedback users at one time.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    I don't think anybody is going to accuse you of having shill accounts in order to run a card up from $.99 to $1.04. This auction may not be representative of most of the cards you sell, but if it were me I'd just eliminate all bidding restraints for lower price cards.
  • Options
    Yeah, I don't see how anyone can help snipe bids from low feedback folks. I guess all one can do is give the high bidder a short period to make payment or you'll take appropriate measures, including notifying eBay and subsequently offering to sell to the highest real bidder at what would have been the highest real winning bid. Messy all around, especially to the seller. That's why these folks need to be reported and hopefully pulled from membership.
  • Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    I say if a guy with zero feedback is willing to pay the most, then the card is his. Your regular's won't accuse you of shilling.
  • Options
    Although I have never felt the need to block bids on lower rated bidders, especially on low priced items; there is a way to do it. Go to your ebay page, click preferences, click show all, and under buyer requirements, click "block buyers who". In this setting you can mark what a bidders minimum rating must be before a bid will be accepted. It ussually has a default setting of -1. Although, I have never changed the setting, I would think it should block Auction sniper bids also. One point you may consider though, is by blocking new members from bidding on your items, you are limiting your chance to develope future sales, by cultivating the new members into future regular customers. Anyway, good luck. I hope this helps.
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    Hate to rant but here i go...I know all you sellers are concerned about getting your money fast. I usually pay within 2 days if not hours from close of auction. Many sellers but in that if you dont pay by a certain date you will pay the consequences. However as a bidder/buyer I can not do the same for you. I am sick of paying for items fast...then having to wait 30 days for them to show or not. Then having to email the seller as to where the item is. Almost always the same seller that demands payment in so many days, but cant get to the PO to ship his items. I wish I could include the same disclaimer after I pay. NO card with in 10 days (or proof of shippment) negative feedback will be left. Keep in mind that I have no negative feedbacks left for me (nearly 700 left).

Sorry just had to rant.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    If I were you I'd let 0 feedback bidders bid without asking. You have awesome feedback already. It is hard to get over 2,000 Positives and no negatives; congratulations to you. Your customers must know you are a good seller by now. I always welcome snipers and most of my auctions get bid on near the end.

If you change your policy you don't have to cancel any bids. You don't have to worry about snipers. And you may be able to welcome some new regular customers to eBay.