Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Grading Cards: Why? Good Read

Here is a great read from Trading Cards mag Feb 1996. First thing I have to say is Great cover!
Okay enjoy it, I did.

Matt

Comments

• sixdartsixdart Posts: 821 ✭✭
    Thanks!
  • This was a fun article to read!

On the last paragraph on page 67, it says, 'When asked why his company refuses to grade autographed cards, (David) Hall answers: "Authenticating autographs is something we've considered, but I'm not convinced anybody knows for sure what's authentic when it comes to autographs. So, for now, we're not doing it."' They've come full circle, eh? The quote above pretty much sums up my feelings on autographs. I've gotten some in person but I've never paid a premium for one. The only autographs I'd purchase, authenticated or not, would be Knuckles' beautiful productions!!

Out of curiosity, does anyone have a scan of one of the ASA-graded cards?? I'd like to see if their idea of grades is much different from PSA's today...

Thanks for taking the time to scan and share this, 'mowerman!

hh
  • lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This was a fun article to read!

Thanks for taking the time to scan and share this, 'mowerman!

hh >>

HoofHearted, Im glad you enjoyed it.

I thought it was odd that you had to send your cards through a dealer to psa. Im skeptical to begin with, so there is no way I would have done that. Im glad they changed their policy.

Matt
  • BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    I like the part about 'not sending in a $10 dollar card if it will cost you $10 to get it graded'. That may be true, unless you're a member of the PSA message boards-- in which case you'll happily spend $5 to get a 3 cent card graded image
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanx Matt

I've got some really old articles on grading. And of course, the "resistance" to grading resonated loud and clear by guys like Alan Rosen aka Mr Mint!

Anyone notice the cardgrading customer (buyer) beware issue in the end. Sure sounds like a
    Wig Wam Alarm went off!

And also, John Young the prez of Accucard - the Hager connection, was a nice guy, like Hager, but in looking back at my dealings with them?

They were probably not the most honest guys in the world?

If you come across an ASA/Accurgrade/Accucard or whatever - be watchful for overgraded and even doctored or counterfeit cards IMO.

mike
    Mike
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'd like to see if their idea of grades is much different from PSA's today... >>

Mike

Don't have any but the ones that I considered were overgraded IMO.

They sent me a T205 that was graded 8PQ - the corner had a slight "ding line" on it.

Also sent me a 9PQ 53T card with a horizontal roller mark the size of Texas!!!

And last, a 9PQ 61T with a print defect bigger than Cindy Crawford's mole!

Looks way better on her than on Clemente!!!

mike
    Mike
  • awesome.......lets drink a cap'n n coke!!!!!.....get drunk and buy lot of wax packs from bbexchange!!!
    i'm going on right now!!!

• << <i>

<< <i>I'd like to see if their idea of grades is much different from PSA's today... >>

Mike

Don't have any but the ones that I considered were overgraded IMO.

They sent me a T205 that was graded 8PQ - the corner had a slight "ding line" on it.

Also sent me a 9PQ 53T card with a horizontal roller mark the size of Texas!!!

And last, a 9PQ 61T with a print defect bigger than Cindy Crawford's mole!

mike >>

Mike, you're such a talented analogist! (Is that a word?! ha!)

So you dealt with ASA?? When did they go out of business?? (I could google this, but I'm just taking a quick break from the household chores and don't want to spend the time. Besides, I enjoy your stories.)

Thanks for the update on ASA.

Miguel Cuervo
    (it's also a break for a quick shot of Cuervo and a hefeweizen chaser, which I highly deserve...)
  • you deserve it!!!..just purchased $260 worth of cards, so i want everyone to follow!!!!

you da man mowerman!!!! i bought my HALTS today....even though it was colder than MF'er out!!!!
  • lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>you deserve it!!!..just purchased $260 worth of cards, so i want everyone to follow!!!!

you da man mowerman!!!! i bought my HALTS today....even though it was colder than MF'er out!!!! >>

ravenman, Are you drunk already?!! image

matt
  • yeah....feeling pretty good.....so much to watch on TV today-golf and nascar-what else was there to do? besides buy some bb cards!!! i did tune into some arena football, but for the most part of the day, it sucked, as my fantasy golfers did'nt do much.....in fact i think my low bucker did the best. his name-jason gore!!

good night!!!!!and good luck!!!!