Home Sports Talk

Curling, the hottest sport as of late?

WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
Just wondering what you guys think about Curling. Since the olympics have been on TV lately much has been said about this fascinating sport.

ps: Im hoping fcr some good flames here, regarding if it is indeed a sport. The usual suspects please................ image

get ya stones ready!

SD
Good for you.

Comments

• goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    I must admit I flicked by the Olympics the other day and saw Curling was on. I went back and watched it......for nearly 2 hours.

For some strange reason I could not turn the tv.image
  • When I was a kid, you'd run down to the corner candy store to buy a 25-cent Spalding or Pensy Pinky - then you'd get yourself an old broomstick and you were set for a game of stickball......can't see running down to the store to buy a few curling stones.
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    You obviousley do not live in Scotland then. lol

When I was a young fellow I would send my lass to the corner store and she would come back with all the stones we would need.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    my buddy used to have a shuffleboard "court" painted on his back patio.. we used to consume mass amounts of alcohol and play shuffleboard..
    ·p_A·
  • AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    It's the flavor du jour...since the ice hockey, ice skating, and downhill 'stars' failed so miserably, NBC and the american media are desperate to spin a story out of the olympics - voila! curling is suddenly in. In 3 months, no one will even remember the curling team was in the olympics.
  • Well considering I am from Bemidji, Mn I guess I'm a little biased. Although Ive never tried it i wouldnt mind, but I've already got enough hobbies.

Not a sport.
    Might be fun after a few beers.
    Might really be fun if the women were required to wear bikinis. Well maybe not all of them.

No I do not know the 2 girls from here, I do know people that know them though !
    Am I speaking Chinese?

And it's no more a sport than bowling, so no, not a sport.

Curling, a precision sport similar to bowls or bocce, is played on ice with polished heavy stones weighing about 40 - 44 lbs (18 - 20 kg). The level of precision and complex nature of the strategic thinking required to win has lead it to be referred to as "chess on ice."

Steve
    Good for you.
    Chess is a very involved and complex game, just like curling. I wouldn't call either athletes or what they participate a sport.
  • Curling isn't that bad "eh"?
    and "B" neither is pulling out your fingernails
    Curling, a precision SPORT similar to bowls or bocce, is played on ice

the reference to chess was that players have to think, and have a strategy inorder to win.

Steve
    Good for you.

Just kidding. WP
  • KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
    My grandma loves it!

<< <i>Curling, a precision SPORT similar to bowls or bocce, is played on ice

Steve >>

heh

Bowling is a sport.
  • Win - odd you mention it. While flipping around, it was the only competition I watched for more than 10 minutes. Actually watched the women's Curling for about an hour. Pretty cool. I still don't get the thing with the "brushers" going nuts with their sticks in front of the stone.
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
  • The brushes heat up the ice just a little bit making the ice slicker for the stone to slide further. As I understand it, a good brusher can get extra feet on a stones throw.
    Ted Williams, Willie Mays, Tom Seaver, Mike Schmidt, George Brett, Bob Gibson, Lou Brock player collector
  • This happens ever 4 years. Every one calls curling the next big sport and then we all forget about it for another 4 years.
    heh.............bowls is not bowling.

bowls is played on a lawn and is similar to bocce.

In 3 months, no one will even remember the curling team was in the olympics

in 3 months it will be summer time. curling is a winter sport.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭
    Of course it is a sport, otherwise it would not have been in the Olympics.
  • RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Of course it is a sport, otherwise it would not have been in the Olympics. >>

Yes. Just like snowboarding. And BMX biking/jumping/whatever they'll call it.
    Hmm and I don't think I've seen a single mention of curling anywhere since the olympics folded...