Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Things That Just Get Saved...a young Alan Iverson

Have ya got a bunch of stuff that was not meant to be memorabilia or cards but the item had a pic on it and you just couldn't toss it? This is a military pub they had stacked up at the Px. I may have more if anyone is an AI fan and wants one let me know - I'll take a look.

This is a very youthful and clean cut AI.

Anyone else have stuff like this? I'm loaded!

mike
Mike

Comments

• zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

<< <i>This is a very youthful and clean cut AI. >>

That must have be before the night he passed out and someone tatooed all over his shoulders and neck. Then put "Miracle Grow," on his hair so they could put it in corn rows.

At least the kid plays hard.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • I was going through an old box of stuff tonight and found a bunch of old signature rookies redemption stuff...like my Rashan Salaam signed pennant, had a bunch of 8x10's signed and found this....

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sandman

Cool item.

But can you size it down?

It's hard to see it that large.
    mike
    Mike
  • zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭
    Great KG pic at Farragut. Ronnie Fields aka "The Levatator" was his running mate on that squad I think he is still bouncing around the NBDL.

I played aginst them my junior year and Fields legit dunked over me. I mean he jumped over me. Nate Robinson - Spud Webb style. During a game. It was very embarassing.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    Very cool. I would like one if you find it. AI only had the one tattoo of the bulldog on his arm and "The Answer" above it. Coach Thompson kept him in that nice cut and a suit.

I also "collect" that stuff. I have all kinds of stuff I saved from the trash and picked up at yard sales and such.
    Allen

PM me your address.

Nice auto.

Remember guys, I'm talking about stuff that wasn't meant to be saved as memorabilia. Like coupons, small mags like this etc.

I have a stack of Ken Griffey coupons somewhere that I will be showing.

mike
    Mike
  • gotcha Mike...sorry..it was like finding gold as I had forgot about these for at least 5 years and just "found" them in a box in the attic (not from my dead grandfather though)
    That's OK

We gotta fill space anyways!

Late on a saturday nite - ya don't find a lot of people here.

Keep'm comin!
    Mike
  • KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
    I use to collect everything with any athlete on it.. Kraft Dinner boxes with hockey players on them.. cereal boxes.. pop cans.. newspaper clippings of players I liked..

I don't have any of it anymore but I do have this coaster from Wayne Gretzky's restaurant in Toronto and business card..

Knucks

That coaster is off the chart!

Very nice and a lot of people wouldn't mind having that!

BTW, do you have the Sakic OPC RC?

mike
    Mike

I know this OT - But Don Knotts died this weekend.

He is one of my top 10 ALL Time favorite characters in Barney Fife.

The first time I saw him was on the Steve Allen Show - I think they called it the "man of the street" skit and he was very nervous and when asked if he were nervous - he would reply - "Noop!"

And for those who remember "No Time for Sergeants" - he had a small but memorable role as an Army physical dexterity testor - when Andy Griffith couldn't get the rings together - he "bent" them together!
    It's funnier to see!

For us older guys here - it's a sad time - to see our childhood TV heroes playing their final roles in life.

Mike
  • one last thing...not worth much, but kept it put up for years....still looks nice (had to do this w/ a scanner as my digital camera sucks)

• my Tivo still picks up AG Show and I usually will watch most of them...show bit the shark after Knotts left big time...season1 still my favorite

<< <i>my Tivo still picks up AG Show and I usually will watch most of them...show bit the shark after Knotts left big time...season1 still my favorite >>

In an interview with Andy Griffith, he said that Don Knotts approached him about a guest appearance as a deputy.

He was so good that they kept him on - of course the rest is history.

And I agree - the show jumped the shark when they wrote him off.

Knotts' career was really in full tilt with movies and he just didn't have time for the show.

In fact, after his departure - the only episodes I like is where Barney returns - like the one where he comes home and the hometown girl returned as a movie star, the one where Barney needed to find a place in Mayberry for a "summit" meeting and the one where Andy went up to Raleigh and Barney was gonna be fired for inefficiency and he was living in a boarding house full of thieves! LOL

I loved that show!
    Mike
    Sandman

That's a nice Mantle plate - hard to see but nice.

My favorite non-card Mantle stuff is my 60 Hartland:

And a Mantle game from 1956:

Which contains some cool pics of Mantle which I have shown before.

mike
    Mike
  • stone...did your Mantle game come w/ the auto photo?

<< <i>stone...did your Mantle game come w/ the auto photo? >>

Good question!

It would not be considered complete sans photo!

Mike
  • cool pic...was it really signed or machine signed? I know Mick's auto changed through the years...curious...how often do those game sets (w/ photo) show up on fleabay? (I WANTS ME ONE now...)

<< <i>cool pic...was it really signed or machine signed? I know Mick's auto changed through the years...curious...how often do those game sets (w/ photo) show up on fleabay? (I WANTS ME ONE now...) >>

No, just a plain ole photo of the pic and auto.

Here's the cool cards that come in the set:

mike
    Mike
  • KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
    Cool stuff mike

<< <i>Knucks

That coaster is off the chart!

Very nice and a lot of people wouldn't mind having that!

BTW, do you have the Sakic OPC RC?

mike >>

nope, I don't have sakic's rc
  • here's something that I kept from my childhood. It's part of a tag that was on a pair of jeans in the early sixties. Wish I would have kept the whole tag and not ripped it the I did.
  • Putting the finishing touches on this Mantle photo. There are one or two scratches on the neg that show in the 8 x 12 print.

I own the neg and rights to the photo. Last month I stopped selling the prints so that I could concentrate on retouching all of the negs/slides to offer the best product. Invested in a high quality photo/slide/neg scanner to avoid mishandling of the photo media by errant camera shop clerks, and limit my costs.

• Hey, Stone,

Are you looking for stuff like this?

I've got quite a few of these glossy, Sunday newspaper-type ads with Nolan Ryan, "The Fridge" Perry, George Brett, Bart Starr/Gale Sayers, etc. etc. Fun stuff to go back and "gloss" over.

Here's a magazine cover with Darryl Strawberry that turned out to be quite prophetic:

hh
    65FB
    That's off the chart!

HH
    Yup!!!

Great stuff!

I'll start pulling out some stuff soon.

This is great!
    Anyone else?
    mike
    Mike

Here's another...

Go the smilin' Shaq!

mike
    Mike
  • Here's another glossy ad of a couple classy guys:

hh
  • Here's a Chevrolet ad piece I pulled out of some magazine in the late '60s, SI or Reader's Digest, or something.

It's an advertising booklet showing Chevy's upcoming 1969 line of Super Sport (SS) autos. It has some great pics of a Camaro SS, Impala SS 427, Corvette, Chevelle SS 396 [the car I learned to drive a stick shift in!!] and a Nova SS. The booklet commemorates the 100th year of college football.

Here's a page that has a beautiful painting by Arnold Friberg titled "O. J. Runs for Daylight."

Super-charged stuff!

hh
  • The last thing I've got time to share is something my Dad gave me from his high school days. It was an instructional booklet from the "General Mills Sports Library". You could order your books from the "Wheaties Library of Sports" in Minneapolis, MN. You had to send in a Wheaties box top and 10 cents for "each set of two books." Inside are photos and tips from the following MLBers: Hank Borowy (Cubs; "...let them to the N. L. pennant..."), Bucky Walters (Reds; "pitching ace"), Bob Feller (Indians; see below), Virgil Trucks (Tigers; "...the fastest pitcher in major league baseball..."), Claude Passeau (Cubs; "...pitched the most perfect game in World Series history." ), Hal Wagner (Red Sox), Rick Ferrell (Senators), Marty Marion (Cardinals; '44 NL MVP), George Myatt (Senator; "...one of the fastest men in baseball."), Stan Hack (Cubs), Dixie Walker (B. Dodgers), George McQuinn (Phil Athletics), Tommy Holmes (B. Braves), Rudy York (Red Sox), Jeff Heath (Senators), Charlie Keller (Yankees; "Hit three home runs and batted .438 in the 1939 World Series."), Hank Wyse (Cubs), Frankie Gustine (Pirates), Vern Stephens (StL Browns), Whitey Kurowski (Cardinals; "...hit the decisive home run for the ... Cardinals against the ... Yankees in the final game of the 1942 World Series." ), Frank McCormick (Phillies; 1940 NL MVP), Bob Elliott (Pirates) and Lou Boudreau (Indians).

I've got the original mailing envelope from General Mills along with another booklet -- something to do with teaching basketball basics (including a between-the-legs free throw!! image stuff)

Here's the cover of the defensive baseball booklet by Lew Fonseca:

and here's a page showing Bob Feller teaching technique:

hh
    The Defensive Book by Wheaties is really nice...

A lot of people have trouble with this kind of stuff since it's hard to display - I would guess.

The book was written by Fonseca - here he is in 33. Tuff centering for an 8!

Great stuff and thanx for taking the time to scan it

And if we have any Mikan fans, I have a full page ad I picked up at the mall years ago.

mike
    Mike