Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Carol's Response Re: the 314 certs

I mentioned this before, but I asked Carol whether the first three numbers of the certification number identified the grader and received this response:

I can confirm that certification numbers are assigned prior to the order going in to grading.
Many people here need to take time to watch the Video Tour of the PSA Grading Process on the website. In Joes' narrative during the stickering process, he mentions that the stickers have the individual certification number on them.

If you haven't watched the video, I would strongly suggest it, it's pretty informative.

Carol

Comments

• frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, is she saying that the number has nothing at all to do with the grader? That's the way I take it.

Then, is there any rhyme or reason to the cert numbers?

Shane

• SDavidSDavid Posts: 1,584 ✭✭
    So, is she saying that the number has nothing at all to do with the grader? That's the way I take it.

That was my understanding.

I don't know the answer to the second question, but it seems that most of the submissions graded under the grading specials are given 313/4 certification numbers.
  • I had some 50's and 60's cards graded with the 313 certs and they were done pretty fairly.

Cheers! Wick

Enjoy collecting vintage baseball cards, memorabilia and autos
  • Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So SDavid she didnt anwer your question....yeah, thats par for the course with PSA. Just typical of how they handle alot of issues.
  • If you think about it, it is also rather non-responsive to the first question, as well... What I mean is that the primary grader could also be pre-determined, so that when the cards are entered, a grader and # could be assigned at the same time.
    Looking for Jonny Gomes cards, especially Triple Threads and printing plates. Will consider all cards, though. Got something? Contact me at c_u_l_1@yahoo.com
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    lol

yeah a simple yes or no would have sufficed.

my take? and I saw the video

the cert only states when a card was graded, not by whom.

Steve

Good for you.

• << <i>Many people here need to take time to watch the Video Tour of the PSA Grading Process on the website. In Joes' narrative during the stickering process, he mentions that the stickers have the individual certification number on them.
    >>

she uses that pat answer a lot...I have watched the video and it gives a general process about PSA....surely they have the cert number cross referenced with the grader, I am sure it's all internal, but would be curious to see if 3 different graders graded the same card at different submission points to see the variability...

I am sure PSA will never let that out...
  • lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i> but I would be curious to see if 3 different graders graded the same card at different submission points to see the variability >>

They do that for coins, why not cards? Actually they have two graders grade the coin then if their grades dont match a third grader is used and the two that have the same grade is the one that is assigned.

Not a third grader

or this grader

You get the idea image

matt
  • Thanks Sandman, that was interesting, especially Steve Rocchir's comments. I always wondered what the procedure was.

Nick

• << <i>she uses that pat answer a lot...I have watched the video and it gives a general process about PSA....surely they have the cert number cross referenced with the grader, I am sure it's all internal, but would be curious to see if 3 different graders graded the same card at different submission points to see the variability... >>

Quality control 101 requires the company to track its graders. It's no different than buying a shirt and pulling the inspected by #314 pice of paper out of your pocket.image
    My focus, 1970 Topps Baseball Raw and Graded, pre 1989 PSA Hockey and 1933 INDIAN GUM ! Yikes!!
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Poppie I agree, however.............as far as we can tell 314 tells us only when it was graded. of course PSA can narrow it down to what specific grader graded what specific card on any specific day.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • I wish that we could access that information as to who graded our cards...would be nice, but don't see it EVER happening....I can see it now on our subs....PLease have Grader #95 grade my cards, and don't let Grader #33 anywhere near them....

• I want grader 666 image