Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

The Dreaded 314 Grader

I think PSA loves us talking about the dreaded 314. PSA is probably trying to use the 314 prefix everytime now just to watch us squirm. 314 may just mean that it was a monthly special. PSA is probably laughing at us because we are trying to give meaning to a number that is only relative to them.

Don
> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
>

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.

Comments

• KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
    I haven't posted the grades received from my recent sub yet but it was also a 314 # and some of the cards (one in particular) baffles me. I'll post scans when I get them from FedEx (probably today) to see what you guys think.
  • You know there is some guy (or girl) sitting at PSA watching these boards and laughing, all the while wearing a custom made 'Grader of Death' T-shirt.

On a side note, I do believe a 'grader of death' exists.
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)
  • StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    I have a bunch of PSA 9s, 88 fleer BSK graded by 314, no issues in what I have though.

Stingray
  • Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

I want to throw a little reality into this topic and see what sticks.

How many days have you gone to work in which you enjoy what you do, but you feel like crap and your energy level is low? Are you going to tell me that you could still grade every card fairly? I know i have had days where i am burned out and have lack of motivation for that day.
    I know my work (production) suffered that day. How about outside interference's? Your wife or girlfriend calling you and griping about some petty thing. If there are any women graders there please reverse and insert husband or boyfriend. Does PSA allow family calls? Are they allowed to have cell phones with them at their desk? I know three guys in my office, it seems like their dam cell phone goes off every 5 minutes!! Which then distracts me because nobody is answering that dam thing.!!

Agree? Disagree?

IF YOU CAN READ THIS THANK A TEACHER--IF YOU ARE READING THIS IN ENGLISH, THANK A SOLDIER!!
  • dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭
    We are all human and cannot be completely accurate and consistent if we do the same thing over and over again (like grading the same boring cards for 8 straight hours). I would think that PSA would also have checks and balances to safeguard against this. I do believe that some things get undergraded, and I also think that some get overgraded. In my last submission, I thought both ways. A couple sumbmissions ago I sent in two 1987 Classic Game cards of Barry Bonds. I thought they would grade 9 and 8. They graded 8 and 10 in that order. I resubmitted the 8 and got a 9, but to this day I believe the first card is nicer than the second.

I just don't think that 314 stands for the grader of death. That's all. And who's to say that when we think our card is a 9, and it comes back an 8 that we are right?

Don
    > [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • 314 is awful close to 316....... 3:16......coincidence???
    Move along folks.......Nothing to see here.
  • gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    My worst submissions have come from grader 314. I don't think it means anything, though.
  • My last submission (which just happened to be my 6 freebies) was graded by 314 (if that in fact denotes the grader who graded the cards), and I thought all of the cards were fairly graded. The only thing that bothered me with the submission is that 3 of the 6 cards were mislabeled (variety category was incorrect/missing on them). Since we are talking about the grades themselves, the grades were correct.
  • BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i> IF YOU CAN READ THIS THANK A TEACHER--IF YOU ARE READING THIS IN ENGLISH, THANK A SOLDIER!! >>

Exactly what other languages could we be reading this in?
  • DaBigHurtDaBigHurt Posts: 1,066 ✭✭

GO MARLINS! Home of the best fans in baseball!!
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    disagree.

steve
    Good for you.
  • I don't know. I just resubmitted 8 PSA 9's and 1 PSA 8 from a 314...... submission and they came back 4 10's and 5 9's (905.......).