Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Cracked it open ?

So how do you best crack open a card that you want to re-send for grading? Shoot it with a 30-06 or what? I could not find a place to pry it out anywhere!
My focus, 1970 Topps Baseball Raw and Graded, pre 1989 PSA Hockey and 1933 INDIAN GUM ! Yikes!!

Comments

• julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    psa card is very easy. do a search on this board for "crack slab" or "crack" and there is tons of info available..

i use a butter knife and start at upper-right corner, pry until you hear a pop and then simply work your way around.

good luck

Julen
    RIP GURU
  • KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
    I use a butter knife as well.. I once had to use a hacksaw on a SGC slab though.. with the hacksaw upside down I carefully slid the holder (on its edge) along the blade a few times on each side then went back to the butter knife to finish the job.
  • I will second Julen's method...
  • BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭
    and here i've been using a hammer and chisel all this time.
  • Thank you.
    My focus, 1970 Topps Baseball Raw and Graded, pre 1989 PSA Hockey and 1933 INDIAN GUM ! Yikes!!
  • MooseDogMooseDog Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭
    I cannot find any info on cracking PRO slabs. Anyone?

Is the dremel method the only way?
  • lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So how do you best crack open a card that you want to re-send for grading? Shoot it with a 30-06 or what? I could not find a place to pry it out anywhere! >>

What brand? I see you mentioned pro in your last post. Are they similar to bgs slabs?

Matt
  • I am trying to crack several BGS, PSA Tall Boys and a BCCG, which I could do.
  • zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

<< <i>I cannot find any info on cracking PRO slabs. Anyone?

Is the dremel method the only way? >>

Yes. These are so tough to crack.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Huge fun cracking BGS! Plastic flying everywhere! What a mess to clean up tomorrow!image
  • lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Huge fun cracking BGS! Plastic flying everywhere! What a mess to clean up tomorrow!image >>

When you crack bgs slabs just use a flat head screw driver. Turn the slab upside down on the floor, then take the screw driver and place it in the groove that is created when the slabs are put together. Apply pressure straight down untill you see the groove turn white. Continue doing this all the way around the slab and then you can separate the two halfs easily. I crack 'em all the time. It should only take minutes with no dangerous projectiles image

Matt