Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Tom Seaver - lack of intererst?

I have wondered why there seems to be a lack of interest in Tom Seaver cards? If you look at the Tom Seaver Master Set Registry, the highest collection is sitting at 35% completion.

In my opinion, Seaver was the best pitcher of the 1970's. His statistics were better than Palmer, Ryan, and Carlton. Seaver accumulated his stellar statistics pitching mostly on poor hitting Mets teams. I grew up a Reds fan and loved it when they packaged a bunch of junk to the Mets to get him in 1977. I have been able to pick up some very nice hard to find Seaver items such as the 1970 OPC PSA 8 (1 of 1) for very reasonable prices.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    Not sure what you mean. I think there's a pretty healthy following for Seaver on the collector market. Certainly better than either Palmer or Carlton. I think a lot of it goes towards how a player, particularly a pitcher, ends his career. Seaver certainly wasn't among the elite pitchers when he finally hung up his spikes, but he wasn't an embarrassment either. Palmer and Carlton suffered a worst fate since I think most fans can't get the image of the seeing an old star hang around much longer he should have. It was particularly hard and painful to watch Carlton in his final year when he clearly didn't have it any more and got shipped from team to team for food money. Unfortunately, that image still sits on the minds of a lot of fans.

Pitchers like Koufax, Ryan, and presumably Clemens if he retires this year, went out pretty much at the top or near the top of their games. Ryan was already legend at 46, but even then, he could still throw heat which is what he is best remembered for.