Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

$500 to spend - what vintage box to buy?

I was considering some unopened cello from bbcexchange but am not sure how good cello is. I prefer racks to anything but those are seeming to be out of my price range. 1979 rack box (baseball) is $700 but a cello is $375. Or maybe a 1980 cello for $360. Or maybe splurge a little more and drop $650 for a 1982 grocery rack case? Or maybe $425 for 1977 vending from Wax From the Past. Supposedly from an unopened case. Any suggestions guys?

Comments

• Cello can be tough if they were wrapped tight. Rack would be better or even wax and then cello in my opinion.
  • I'd go '85 rack box and two '84 donruss boxes. Or some '88 rack cases. Seriously, the PSA 10's bring good money.
  • tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭
    You will get many more gradeable high end cards from rack, After that I would go with Wax. Cellos usually have dinged corners from being wrapped to tight and vending from my experience is terrible.

• julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    give mark murphy a ring also. if you have $500 to spend, he has 10% off you order as well.

inventory maybe limited, but you can spend that additional $50 on other stuff w/ discount.

Julen
    TGIF
    RIP GURU
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tough question JJ

Why not start with - what year would you like to open?

The 79s are a bear - a lot of OC cards!

I still think the rack will get you better cards with respect to corners - and that's important if you are gonna have the cards graded.

When I bought some 83T - I didn't care about the overall quality since I was not getting the cards graded.

Check with LD - he opened a ton of 79T.

And if you're interested in 78T - check with Softparade - Dan is our expert on that year! He opened a boatload!

I like the 82T set - some don't like the hockey stick design - but I like it fine.

I say - start with what year really excites you and take it from there. But I still think rack over cello.

Good luck
    mike
    Mike
  • tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭
    Check out the rack cases of 85's BBC has $525 for Donruss and $575 for Topps, Having bought the Topps 3-box rack case I can say I highly recommend it !

• << <i>I like the 82T set - some don't like the hockey stick design - but I like it fine. >>

Ripped a box of this from BBCE and pulled one Ripken and not much else. Still fun but I was hoping for a few more gradeable cards.

<< <i>

<< <i>I like the 82T set - some don't like the hockey stick design - but I like it fine. >>

Ripped a box of this from BBCE and pulled one Ripken and not much else. Still fun but I was hoping for a few more gradeable cards. >>

That's pretty much how I felt overall about my 83T vending box bonanza Brian.

The cards will look good in the binder but I wouldn't run out and grade them.

mike
    Mike
  • Great feedback guys. Thing is I am so scared of going with wax because it is so easy to reseal. The wax that these major players sell (bbcexchange, mark murphy, etc) would you feel pretty comfortable that it is unopened material? I don't think they'd open it but they had to get it from someone else and it could have been opened at that point. Cello you are right, it probably is best to stay away from that. Racks are best imo. I fav cards would be 70s. Love 76s, started a set registry with those but I have never seen an rack box of those for sale. I got a vending box of them back in 2000 for $400 and it was definitely unsearched. I submitted 18 cards from that box so far with 3 10s and 5 9s from that lot. I would like some 77s, 78s, 79s and 80s though. I did not collect those years, started heavy in 1981 so I'd like to build up my inventory with those cards. As for 85 racks and/or 84s, I have a ton from those 2 years. No possible 10s of Clemens, Puckett, McGwire, etc but 4-7 cards of each that look pretty good. Hmm. Decisions, decisions.
  • zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

<< <i>Great feedback guys. Thing is I am so scared of going with wax because it is so easy to reseal. The wax that these major players sell (bbcexchange, mark murphy, etc) would you feel pretty comfortable that it is unopened material? >>

Yes. Buy from them and you have nothing to worry about on the resealing aspect.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Hmm...78T wax box from bbcexchange for $575. Looks tempting.

<< <i>Thing is I am so scared of going with wax because it is so easy to reseal. The wax that these major players sell (bbcexchange, mark murphy, etc) would you feel pretty comfortable that it is unopened material >>

I agree with Zef - I pulled the same excerpt!

They buy full cases - that are "properly" sealed and are clean as a whistle!

Now, if you are going back into the 70s, 500$? How about saving up for a while and going back to BBCEx at that time?

Is there any 76T rack out there? I never checked. I know it won't come cheap!

I will tell you this stuff has gone up - I paid 900$ for a 3 box rack case of 79T back around 1993? Got it from - believe it or not? Mr Mint!!!

mike
    Mike

• << <i>started heavy in 1981 so I'd like to build up my inventory with those cards. >>

Just ripped some rack packs from 1981 that I bought from BBCE. Submitted two for grading and that was it. They are affordable but they also have issues with centering, etc...
    As far as buying wax goes I would have no issues buying from BBCE. Steve is one of the best and does not sell resealed junk. You can buy with confidence from him.

<< <i>Or maybe $425 for 1977 vending from Wax From the Past >>

To be honest I would not deal with Ryan at this time. As I posted on another thread I know someone who had a $10,000+ deal on the table with Ryan and all he got was a run around. He finally did get his money back and Ryan has been let go by GAI so take that into consideration when dealing with him.