Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Signs and Symptoms of our addiction....

Today it really hit me. With the help of my wife, I realized how addicting this hobby is. Today I was doing some things around the house when I stopped what I was doing to go look out the window. The reason I was drawn to the window was because of the sound of the bass coming from the postal trucks engine. I have become very familiar with that sound. I didnt even realize I do this until my wife was staring and shaking her head at me with a little grin that said " you have issues". Hey, I cant help it. I look forward to seeing my mail box full of bubble mailers.

When did you guys realize that you were hooked? Please share your experiences!

Bob

Comments

• I realized it when I was in high school when all my friends were out drinking and getting ladies and i was going to bed early on friday nights so I could get to the card show early saturday morning.

I also realized it when most of my friends were screwing around in class and I was reading an SCD.

What was really an odd turn of events is when I STARTED noticing women. You know how people see a pretty girl and they shout out "9" or "10" to their friend, well... I saw a good looking girl in her mid 20's and I said "PSA 9 George Brett rookie," or a good looking younger girl, "Ken Griffey Jr. Upper Deck rookie card PSA 10!"

Yes, I am addicted.

also, I had personalized plates that read "GEMMINT" no lie!
    Always collecting vintage basketball and any ABA memorabilia.
  • Here’s a couple

1) I haven't logged off ebay in 5 years.

2) The other day the Postman came to my door and apologized for leaving one of those slips they leave for you when you not home when they try to deliver a package, saying he stopped 3 times throughout the day before leaving the slip. I said keep up the good work and handed him a $20.

Link to my current Ebay auctions

"If I ever decided to do a book, I've already got the title-The Bases Were Loaded and So Was I"-Jim Fregosi
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This will elicit all kinds of responses.

Here's a fun thread started a while back on Hardcore Collectors you guys might want to look at when you have the time. Of course, anyone who's been here for a while is well aware of it.

I talked about this before with respect to my personal experience.

Many people are still in "denial" and probably are uncomfortable with bringing this up.

In the early 80s, I was looking for a hobby - talked with my wife and by accident fell "back" into card collecting. It was further reinforced when I had a son.

There is nothing more addictive in the world than collecting something.

OCD types need NOT apply.

Things to look for:

1. Having a tendency to want to "corner" the market on anything and everything.

2. Having your "watch" ebay bin full.

3. Night sweats or flashbacks or pangs over what you have been buying lately on ebay - epsecially if you wake up in the morning and it's on your mind.

4. Hiding stuff from your spouse/friend - not letting them know the mailman just knocked on the door - "oh it was nothing dear...just some kid wanting to borrow the lawnmower or something..."

5. Feeling like everything one sees on ebay is such a bargain that you can't pass on it!

6. Running two miles down the road to catch up with the UPS guy to check and see if he missed a box in the truck since you're positive the package was due that day.

and on and on and on................
    mike
    Mike
  • Either when I looked at my PayPal, "total spent" amount from last year
    OR
    When I find myself bidding on a card because I LOVE IT!!!!............that I already have image
    For the love of the game
    And the cards that go with it
  • I know I'm sick because I can rattle off the 1958 Topps baseball checklist by heart.

My antidote? I've begun collecting the 1957 set and I can only remember the first 50 cards.

• gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    I think most of us that post here can share wonderful stories of being addicted to a great hobby! On Saturdays, or when I'm home during that time of day, I can hear that mail carrier truck coming from a mile away. I run out there like a kid running after an ice cream truck!

Mark
  • Did anyone see "Two for the Money"? Great movie! I watched it last night.

Pacino had a great line....

"You know the best part of the best drug in the world? It ain't the high. It's the moment just before you take it! The dice are dancin' on the table. Between now and the moment they stop...it's the greatest high in the world!"

That line hit home with me in respect to "the chase". Nothing is better than the last minutes of an auction. Once you win the card its anticlimatic. You file it away and move on to the next roll of the dice.

The line also hit home for other reasond but thats a whole other thread! image

Bob C.
    57 Topps (83%) 7.61
    61 Topps (100%) 7.96
    62 Parkhurst (100%) 8.70
    63 Topps (100%) 7.96
    63 York WB's (50%) 8.52
    68 Topps (39%) 8.54
    69 Topps (3%) 9.00
    69 OPC (83%) 8.21
    71 Topps (100%) 9.21 #1 A.T.F.
    72 Topps (100%) 9.39
    73 Topps (13%) 9.35
    74 OPC WHA (95%) 8.57
    75 Topps (50%) 9.23
    77 OPC WHA (86%) 8.62 #1 A.T.F.
    88 Topps (5%) 10.00

<< <i>That line hit home with me in respect to "the chase >>

Most excellent point Bob

And that point goes back to the thread that Winpitcher started about enjoying what you have.

Ahhh....

but the Chase!

Mike

<< <i>I realized it when I was in high school when all my friends were out drinking and getting ladies and i was going to bed early on friday nights so I could get to the card show early saturday morning. >>

Never stopped me Jesse

I would just go to a show drunk or hung over! How do you think I accumulated all those OC cards!

Mike
  • I was hooked the first time I saw a 1955 Topps baseball card. Now, I need to go have a beer and see if I want to part with any cards so I can afford to go buy some more Cuban cigars!I wish that Siglo II's came with cards! At least i can throw out old coat hangers!
    My focus, 1970 Topps Baseball Raw and Graded, pre 1989 PSA Hockey and 1933 INDIAN GUM ! Yikes!!
  • fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭
    I started in 1959 ,I cooled down a bit after the Nun in school in the early 60s took my cards away from me because I was reading them in class,although my intrest was still there I kept it a secret for fear of embarrasment but still would pick up a few here and there and just stash them away.Then one ugly wintery day in early 1975 I was driving on a Detroit street and on this window front it said in big letters BASEBALL CARDS.Wow I almost had an accident from paying attention to the sign.I found a parking space walked in and these 2 middle aged guys one was Charlie Brooks asked me if they could help me.I stood speachless as I looked around and noticed all these cards stacked with many in binders.I then said that I wasnt aware these stores were around.This fellow proceeded to tell me that they were just starting out and he began showing cards that I had intrest in late 50s early 60s and he showed me several.He also told me that there were card swap shows on occasion at collectors homes or halls where you could buy and trade cards.WOW old guys actually collect cards.That did it for me.I dont remember how much I spent maybe $20 in those days and picked up a 75 topps set plus a bunch of 75 mini paks that the guy told me were test issues.After that I was hoooked, went to my first card show a couple months later and picked up a dozen or so 52 topps mostly Tiger cards.
    I had created an obsession that will never go away.I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • I know i have problems because i think its fun for the wife to name a number between 1-407 and i know what player that is in my 57 set. Oh i usually cant find my house keys or shoes etc...
    Always Buying & Collecting 1957 Topps Baseball 1914 cj,s 1978 bb and any Hof bb
  • rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭
    The USPS has assigned me my own personal postal clerk!

rbd

edit: P.S. No shoe box was ever save in our home!