Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

UPDATE Question on 2 Washington proof 25c's

kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
They say "buy the best for your money!" and I can afford either of these, but is the $129.00 coin worth the premium?

EDIT-- these links are long dead-- cut to the chase on the update message

1954 PCGS PR68 Washington Proof for $79

1954 PCGS PR68 Washington Proof for $129.00

The reason I ask is, though I can afford either, I can always use the $50 I save towards another coin. The pricier one looks nicer, but it has a better pic, too, so it's hard to tell.

Rather than do heads or tails, I thought I'd ask my friends here on this forum!
"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.

Comments

• Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    The second coin is overpriced. However, the seller is accepting best offers. I'd offer them a little over the price of the first coin and see where that leads. In any case, be sure you get a return privilege...Mike
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    I didn't notice the best offer link! Thanks for the heads-up!
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    You can buy one in an NGC holder for $25. Think of how many more you can buy with the money you saved.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't buy either one unless I could view them in hand first. They're both from bulk submissions during a time when PCGS standards were less strict than currently.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    The first coin doesn't have a closeup photo or any reverse photo.

The second coin is expensive and doesn't look as perfect as I would like for a premium priced PR 68.

I like brillian proofs from the 50s. I like cameo proofs even more! You can find PR 68s with some frost on the devices. If I was buying a PR 68 I'd look for one with just missed cameo frost on the devices and a coin that was spot and haze free. A coin like that would be worth the $125 to me.
  • Options
    Appears to be a "Widget"

i start my widget bids at 15 % of guide !
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice, everyone! I'm antsy 'cause I want a nice proof 54 coin in this grade and so far only see these on Ebay... the thrill is in the hunt, and it shouldn't be too hard to find a nicer one.

Thanks, Russ, about the info on the bulk submissions-- how can you tell? (What's on the label, etc)
  • Options
    Update and Bump.. I ended up getting a PR68 Washington quarter what, almost six years later for $72.

Eh, that's at least some savings.
  • Options
    Wow... Six years, that's dedication...!

Nice Pick-Up...

My Ebay Auctions

Currently Listed: Nothing

Take Care, Dave

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file