Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

How long do you guys wait on payments from auctions ?

I just sent out two different invoices today for the second time since the auctions were completed saturday night. I fugure the guys could have lost track of it, been out of town etc etc. If they have paid already I figure they would let me know by getting this second invoice. So far I havent heard from the winners on how or if they planned on paying. How long do you guys usually wait before you send a second notice?

Comments

• sagardsagard Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭
    Typically as long as it takes. If there is no response to the invoice sent via Ebays system, try a email via normal means.

If there is still no response after 10 days, file the unpaid notice and that usually gets them to respond.
  • StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Have have had guys pay me up to 7 days. I do not have a set policy at this point, but I am about to do something about it. I am fairly new to selling on ebay, but I would like to have the buyer within at least 3-5 days give me an indication that they are mailing or will be Paypaling payment. I know that there are circumstances, out of town, etc. Just a response would be nice.

Stingray
  • tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Have have had guys pay me up to 7 days. I do not have a set policy at this point, but I am about to do something about it. I am fairly new to selling on ebay, but I would like to have the buyer within at least 3-5 days give me an indication that they are mailing or will be Paypaling payment. I know that there are circumstances, out of town, etc. Just a response would be nice.

Stingray >>

Exactly !

• alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    I usually wait 10-12 days before sending a reminder. I then wait another week and by then I usually have all payments back. I've found that it takes 8-10 days usually before I get a payment in the mail......
  • gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    My standard policy is 5 days from auction end, but I'm usually impatient and send a second invoice after about 3-4 days if I don't hear anything from the buyer.

Mark
  • RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    7 days. Will usually send a second invoice at 5 or 6 days. Email on the 8th day asking if they still want the item. Report as non-paying after 14 days.
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items

<< <i>My standard policy is 5 days from auction end, but I'm usually impatient and send a second invoice after about 3-4 days if I don't hear anything from the buyer.

Mark >>

This is the 5th day, however i realize the PO was closed Monday so it may take a day or two longer, Plus both buyers have perfect feedback. It really didnt do any harm to send a second invoice at this time. If anything maybe they will contact me saying payment has been sent.

• RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    I recently waited 6 days to be paid, from a guy with 99% feedback. Was just about to send another invoice when he sent payment.

On the flip side, if I am buying and know that I don't want to or can't pay for a few days, I almost always email the seller and tell them that. I've never had a problem this way and many of them really appreciate it.
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • ldfergldferg Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭
    what sagard said...

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • I wait 10 days as much of what I sell goes to Canada, which has varying mail times throughout the country. Try to emphasize in your listing that you want them to check-out if they're paying by check, etc., so at least you know they received and understood your invoice. I usually send three email every 10 days apart and shut them down with a complaint at 30 days.
    My focus, 1970 Topps Baseball Raw and Graded, pre 1989 PSA Hockey and 1933 INDIAN GUM ! Yikes!!
  • as a buyer I usually pay within minutes of auction end....usually before the seller even has a chance to send any notification...
    Me too sandman, I wish everyone felt this way !

I think there are a lot of buyers out there who dont realize how much work goes into selling, If they bid and win and forget about paying it's no big deal to them they will just neg you and move on.

• I wait about 3 weeks.
    Jery's T206 set: Looking for PSA 6's & 7's!
  • Depends on the feedback of the buyer. 10 days with no response to emails can get a seller nervous. 10 days without response from a seller can make one even more nervous...
  • Just out of curiosity, did you list in your auction when payment was expected? I usually list in my auctions the "Payment is expected within 7 days of auction end" and leave it at that after sending the invoice. Some people will flat out tell you when payment is due and if they don't get it by then, appropriate feedback will be left and you will be reported to eBay as a non-paying buyer. Just so it is clear, I don't have a problem with that approach. I feel it's best to list all applicable info in the payment details of your auction. I always list the following in the auction details or payment details:

1) Payment is expected within x days of auction end.
    2) If you are mailing payment, please notify me by email.
    3) Items will not be shipped until payment clears, please allow 10 days for personal checks.
    4) Feel free to email me at ..... if you have any questions.

It may seem petty to some, but it eleviates quite a few headaches for me down the road.

Scott
    Registry Sets:
    T-205 Gold PSA 4 & up
    1967 Topps BB PSA 8 & up
    1975 Topps BB PSA 9 & up
    1959 Topps FB PSA 8 & up
    1976 Topps FB PSA 9 & up
    1981 Topps FB PSA 10
    1976-77 Topps BK PSA 9 & up
    1988-89 Fleer BK PSA 10
    3,000 Hit Club RC PSA 5 & Up

My Sets
  • TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    I'm a very infrequent seller. However, I did have 41 auctions close last Tuesday. To date, all payments have been made, with the exception of two. One guy's payment is pending with PayPal (paid by echeck), and the other guy has yet to pay or contact me. I clearly stated that payment was expected with seven days. I just sent him a 2nd polite invoice; I'm sure that'll take care of it.

On a side note, I also clearly stated "PayPal or money order only. No cash, no checks." Didn't get any checks, but two bidders sent cash. I've seen sellers state their irritation/anger at receiving cash when it was clearly specified not to send it - I wasn't irritated, but had to shake my head anyway.

Geordie
  • nearmintnearmint Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭
    I send a polite reminder after a week if I haven't heard from the buyer. After week two I complete the non-paying bidder form, send the buyer another reminder, and state that I will leave a negative feedback after three weeks. Almost everyone pays before I send the second reminder.
  • AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    I usually wait a 5 days or so and send another invoice, after a few more days I send a few more invoices and that usually works. I think some people may not be on the computer everyday or may be out of town; as we all know, Murphy's Law when you go out of town you win every auction you had a snipe on and have tons of emails when you get back haha. I have also had to delay payment to a seller because someone delayed a payment to me an I had to wait to have enough PayPal. Hurry up and pay me so I can pay them image
  • As an update, The two second invoices I sent out today did the trick, One guy paid with Pay Pal tonite the other notified me and said payment had been made by a money order sent tuesday. My next set of auctions will be more detailed as to payment and contacting me. Thanks for the ideas !