Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Does this look like a PSA 8 to you?

Got this in a recent auction on Ebay. The scan was small but I figured "hey, it's a PSA 8..."

You tell me:

Tabe

Comments

• Options
    Nothing I would have bid on! image
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 28,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not all PSA 8's (or any grade) are created equal. I don't buy a card unless there is a clear "large" scan, and if it's an expensive purchase for me, I always want to see a scan of the back also.
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Nothing I would have bid on! image >>

Unfortunately for me, I didn't notice the fading in the word "Stars" in the original scan. Had I seen that, no way I would have bid.

This was a cheap card, so no big loss, I just was wondering if you guys thought it looked like a legit 8 in any way...

Tabe
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I would have passed too.

Steve k makes a very good point. not all cards are create equal.

that card also appears to have a diamond cut, or whatever they call it too.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    Looks like crisp corners and from what I have seen that will often make up for some other problems. Looks like an 8 to me. Call it a low end 8, if you want, but it's an 8 to me.
  • Options
    rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭
    as I recall, it did take me a while to get a "well-centered" PSA 9 Honus Wagner example for my '76 PSA Registry Set. To date, there are 85 graded PSA 8's out there of this 1976 Honus Wagner card, ...and I'm sure you will be able to locate a better example of that card in the near future.

rbd

P.S., Still after all the "trash talking" about your "slider eight" (...as it looks like the PSA grader, was a little kind and graded it "on the curve" LOL!), in my opinion, there will always be a buyer for those PSA 8's and PSA 9's of the 1976 Topps All-time All-Stars (Ruth, Cobb, Wagner, Gehrig, Williams, etc.). So, unless u really overpaid for the item, "salt-it-away!", ...as it will still be in demand "down the road", as a 40+ year old PSA 8 graded Honus Wagner card.

edit: P.S., You want a real tough 1976 example? Try to locate a 1976 Topps #350 Lefty Grove in PSA 9. It took me "forever and a day" to find a mint PSA 9 example (one of only three!). Grove is also tough in PSA 8. (If you see a good/cheap PSA 8 or 9 example out there, grab it and thank me in a decade from now! LOL!). 1976 Topps #343 Pie Traynor is also pretty tough to find (be a "grab-in-heimer" for a Traynor in PSA 9 and "salt one away"!)...
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not the prettiest 8 I have ever seen.

But, IMO, it's been graded appropriately.

<< <i>that card also appears to have a diamond cut, or whatever they call it too. >>

Steve

A card that has the pic within the border "slanted" is referred to as a TILT. The card still has "square" corners.

This would be distinguished from a "Diamond" cut where the corners of the card are NOT square (90 degrees).

The "true" diamond cut is NOT a rectangle but rather a rhomboid shaped object.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    I had a lefty grove in PSA 8 that sold on ebay for $37. Needless to say, i was surprised.
  • Options
    9 is much sharper. Good price, too . . .
  • Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    not the prettiest of cards but if the corners are sharp then I would say that it is an 8, granted a real ugly one. corners are a big part for psa then centering and on 70's cards it seems that they lean towards the side of generocity when it comes to centering in my experience. the result is you can have a wide range of "8"s
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the replies guys, they're much appreciated. I must say that I am surprised at the number of people agreeing that it's an 8, given the fading/missing ink in the word "Stars". That seems like it should knock the card down quite a bit, but I am far from an expert on grading. The BVG 8 somebody linked is a vastly superior card, that's for sure.

I'm trying to put this subset together in PSA 8, but this Wagner won't go in there. I'll just find a better one. Already have a Pie Traynor in 8 image

Tabe